Do you like Movie Sequels or not?

• Yes, I like the sequels better than the first one
  • No, I prefer the first, original movie
  • Both of them are okay

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends. Many times sequels are done by a different director and they screw up the story line because they want their own version.

• I agree with you! The only sequels I like would "The Lord of the Rings", "The Hunger Games", and "The Land Before Time"

• Yeah, I know you!

• In many cases it's not the creators of the sequels fault that the actors/actresses from the first movie or from the series decided to leave, usually for an other project, it's actually the actors/actresses fault in most of the cases, fot not being loyal enough for their first project, anyway I agree that it's sucks, but even having the same team on a sequels is not an guaranty for an good sequels, take Matrix for example. The Lord of the Rings movies are was planned as an trilogy from the very start, and are based on a great books, so it's hard to screw up, as long as the director is staying close enough to the source material. Many movies that have an sequels, are didn't even planed to have an sequels, the story had closed from the first movie, and the story contining thinks to some ass pull, and mainly for an "cash grab", out of fans of an successful first movie, with little to no real creativity, that is one of the reasons that many sequels are quite shitty.

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Sequelitis

What Guys Said 10

• Still better than most attempts at reboots or remaking the originals.

Most sequels do not appeal to me.

Only real exceptions are the ones where the writers and director remains the same. And typically when they don't really try and make more and more sequels just for the sake of making more money, such as 1 sequel or a confirmed trilogy. Basically milking the cow until it is all dried up or whatever you want to call it.

Any time the original director or writers have changed then the vision and direction also changes and the quality typically begins to diminish as more and more sequels are made and released.

Just look at the Alien movies for example, it started with Ridley Scott and then passed on to James Cameron, then David Fincher and so on and the quality of the sequels just never really measured up to Scott's original, although I enjoyed Aliens a lot.

Same goes for The Terminator movies. Beginning with Terminator 3 Rise Of The Machines, the original director and writer, James Cameron was no longer really involved so Terminator 3 through 5 just don't even come close to the quality of his original two.

• If the sequels was very bad, the fans can always pretend like they are don't existent. :)

tvtropes.org/.../FanonDiscontinuity

• Yes, of course I like movie sequels.

• I usually prefer the originals

• Depends.

Some sequels are absolutely amazing:
    Terminator 2 was easily the best movie out of all Terminator movies in my opinion.
    Out of the original trilogy, The Empire Strikes Back was my favorite.
    Same with The Dark Knight.

Some sequels are lower than rock-bottom:
    Matrix Reloaded - what the fuck is even going on, so confusing.
    Hangover Part II - just, so bad.
    Star Wars I - I know it's a prequel, but it's still building off ideas from the original. Just so shitty. As a Star Wars nerd I was hanging my head in shame when I stepped out of the theater.

• Evil Dead 2 was much better than Evil Dead.

• both are ok

• Normally not. But it can be done.

• For example Terminator 2. Kill Bill was kinda different as it was one long film and just divided up. Desparado (with Antonio Banderas) was a sequel to El Mariachi. I do prefer the prequel but that's just a personal preference

• It really depends on the movie (how good was the original)? I don't like it were there are more than 3 parts... Friday the thirteenth part 8, Come on, just let it go, WTF. Fast & the furious should have been 3 or 4 moives shorter.

• Usually B, occasionally C.

What Girls Said 2

• It's depend on story of movie which Sequels are made. sometimes sequels is good rather than original story of movie.

• Sometimes a sequel can actually be alright. I liked 22 Jump Street, I laughed. Star Wars Episode 5: The Empire Strikes Back was pretty good to me. I am looking forward to Spy 2 and the Conjuring 2.

But sometimes a sequel isn't well made, and I'd like to forget it exists. I would stick to the first movie.