Should I quit ballet?

I started ballet when I was 4 years old and quit when I was 11. I re-started again when I was 16 and now I'm 17. I'm currently going to a summer ballet class (everyday except for the weekends) and I'm in the intermediate class. In my class there are many girls that are very advanced (who are in the advanced class aswell, but decided to join the intermediate class for more practice.. i guess). They make me feel like I'm terrible and I feel anxious before going to the class. I'm starting to think that there's no point in me trying to go to a ballet class because I'm never going to become a ballerina anyways. Before the summer holidays (it's summer right now where I am), I used to go to a beginners ballet class once a week, and it used to relieve my stress. But I at the moment I feel miserable in this summer class I'm in, and I cry myself to sleep sometimes. I can't quit the summer class because it was very expensive and I've always been a quitter and I'm determined to finish something that I started for once, but I don't know if I want to continue ballet after the summer course is over. I originally wanted to do ballet twice a week after the summer course but now I'm starting to think that it's a waste of money. I don't know what to do :(

• quit after the summer course
  • continue once a week after the summer course
  • continue twice a week after the summer course
I've decided to continue once a week after the summer course and to change the class that I'm in for the summer course to a less advanced group. (there are two groups, the newer intermediate group and the intermediate/advanced group)

Most Helpful Guy

• With practice you will get better - Pick the level you will enjoy yourself the most at then decide the number of times you want to go - The important thing is just do whatever you feel the most comfortable and happiest with - You enjoyed it before there is every chance that you will again.

Most Helpful Girl

• You got some good answers there from guys...
    Why did you start? Did you want to or your mom asked you to?
    Did you like it in the beginning? If so, why?
    How did you feel about it before you came to Summer camp?

Also - more advanced dancers are what you might be in the future. Why quit if you don't really want to. So what if they're better than you - doesn't mean you won't be better than them some day. It just seems to me they've practiced way more because they're obsessed with it. Being obsessed with ballet is actually a good thing if you want to be a ballerina - the question here is - do your parents have enough money to support something that you might not love?
    Is it a hobby or could it be a career?

Do your parents have enough money to support a hobby?
    If they do and you feel it's just a hobby, then don't quit.

What Guys Said 7

• one thing at a time. now you should focusing on your current goal:

" I can't quit the summer class because it was very expensive and I've always been a quitter and I'm determined to finish something that I started for once"

worry about after summer, after summer.

• Here's the question, why do you dance? Do you dance because you like it, for someone else, or some other reason? If you do it because you like it, then continue for you. If you do it for some other reason, are you getting out of it what you put into it, or is there something else that can fulfill that desire or need? If it's the only thing that can fulfill that need stick with it, if there is something else that will perhaps it's time to explore that other thing.

• Don't voluntarily do something you don't like.

• If your aim is to becmoe a ballerina and have a show and whatnot, sure - you probably should stop. If you want to do it, because you actually enjoy it - then go on with it.

• I take it you aren't a fan of competition? Use their skill level as motivation to improve and surpass.. NEVER give up just because someone is better at summat than you.

• If you don't enjoy it then you should quit. Life is too short to waste doing something you don't enjoy

• You almost born a ballerina!!
    Cry to continue not to quit!!
    Don't let anything affect on you,
    If you wanna quit ask yourself why you started.

What Girls Said 7

• Don't compete with the others in the lass. Only compete with yourself--if you even feel like competing at all. There can be some periods of frustration as you grow, learn, and get better, but there's a difference from being frustrated on the one hand and not liking what you do on the other. if you like ballet for what it is, don't let this one experience make you quit. Just tough it out and chalk it up to experience. In fact, if you can look at it this way, its better to dance with people better than you than with meoiple not as good, because you can learn more from them, even if you can't put the lessons to use immediately. If you can look at it that way, maybe this current class won't be as hard an ordeal to you. Best of luck! :-)

• When your summer course is over, continue ballet once a week. You might miss ballet dancing if you completely quit. With little practice at a time, you will get better. What's important is that you enjoy ballet and not necessarily be the best at it. Even if you notice that the other girls are better at ballet dancing, don't worry about it. Over time you will improve. Work on your time management and set a time to practice ballet, and don't stress too much :)

• Never let people make you feel miserable, you want to do ballet? Then do it, work hard! You start at 4 !! You go experience !! Get some confidence and go show those other ballerinas and teachers who you are and show your full potential!!!

(Sorry for my english)

• You used to enjoy it. Maybe if you do it a little less you'll be able to enjoy it again.

• You could try somewhere else. I wish I had learned to dance. Try a different class or something because if it is a distraction for you, it's going to make it harder for you to learn.

• You never going to be a professional. Quit and save some money

• if you like it, keep dancing and you'll eventually get better