Do you get upset when celebrities die?

With the recent passing of David Bowie it made me wonder if the passing of somebody you've never met would upset you? I find that it does if they pass before their time or is somebody I really like.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah it does because although I've never met them, some of them have been a big part of my life. I love music. Music reaches people everywhere. It has no color, no gender, it's for everyone. So when greats like Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston die, it does hurt a bit. Same for actors and actresses that you've watched over the years. I'm STILL upset about Paul Walker.

What Girls Said 10

• Yeah, I get upset sometimes. I mean, I'm upset right now over Bowie, maybe just because of all he did for LGBT+ and how influential his music was and that connection that I felt with him because I've never really been upset about celebrities dying before, except maybe one or two people, but when it is upsetting, I find it really upsetting.

• What about Lou Reed?

• @sjoes006 I think Bowie left more of an impression on me because I grew up listening to his stuff, like with Lou Reed I listened to a few songs and I did feel like he was cool because of how he brought attention to the unfairness of etc on LGBT+ people, but I just didn't have as much of him in my life as Bowie so I didn't really get upset when I'd heard he died.

• Yeah that's fair. I studied him and the Velvet Underground in college. To me in my perspective he just did a really good job of bringing light to it as even an issue to open up the floor for awareness even though it often bred disgust. I feel he opened the door for people like Bowie and was more of a groundbreaking artist. He just didn't like public attention though or play to that machine so he did slip below a lot of radars.

• Robin Williams, Kurt Cobain, Hunter S Thompson, Amy Winehouse... These made me really sad.

When Steven Weinberg dies I'll be REALLY sad as well but for more selfish reasons. The last time I attended an open panel for him someone asked him if he thought the U. S. Should be spending more money on advances in technology like the LHC. As always he smirked a little and said well anytime you ask a theoretical Physicist this of course the answer is always going to be yes and the amount and facilities we need are just going to keep rising... He continued on with his answer and what he sees for the future and predicts. And from his answer I realized he isn't going to be with us to see his predictions come true even ten years from now. 😢

Not only is he brilliant but he is such a wonderful talker with a life full of wisdom and he puts so much thought into how he answers and explains things rather then talking down to people with no hint of ego to it. I was his student at one point. There simply just isn't any other mind out there alive like his. Plus I just love hearing old people from his generation speak because they have led the fullest lives. My mother's next door neighbor who used to bathe me and grew up in Holland during WWII is going to pass away soon as well which also makes me feel great loss.

These are the people who know the danger in Trumps words and propaganda machine.

• I was sad when Lou agreed died probably in the same way you are sad about Bowie and how I feel about Weinberg. I'm more sad for our loss than theirs. It the end of an era, of something great. But for the others I listed in sad for them. I'm sad Robin will never know exactly how much the whole world loved him and the joy he brought people.

• Oops. I guess since everybody else you were talking about was mail I automatically assumed

• Amy's not! 😊

It's not my fault there aren't too many women in leadership roles.

• Not really. I never liked any celebrity!

• No, I never get too upset about people dying. Especially ones I've never met.

• Not really unless I was a big fan

• I don't get upset, but I'll be feeling down though

• Only certain ones

• I was sad when Cory Monteith died because I was a super fan of Glee and I always loved him. But it's not like I knew him so I wasn't like depressed or anything like that but I just couldn't believe it.

• I'm upset David Bowie was active on the radio as I was growing up its upsetting.

• I cried when Amy Winehouse died because I loved her music. I had a giant crush on River Pheonix and was very sad to hear that he passed from an overdose. 12 year old me wanted to marry him after watching Stand by me lmao

What Guys Said 5

• I get sad for them, but not upset. After all, I've never met them. I'd have to be a family member or a very close friend of theirs for me to be upset of their death. I get sad whenever someone dies, celebrity or not.

• ok... he made good music... meh, possibly you don't just get it... or the concept of respect for others' achievements.

• Not really. I don't know them.

• nah i don't. i was slightly when paul walker died at his young age because he looked so innocent and he was in some good movies i watched.

• The only one that kind of bothered me was Robin Williams. I saw a lot of his stuff growing up and the way he died was... well...

I don't care for celebrities though. If Hollywood was wiped off the face of the Earth, I wouldn't morn them. Actors are overpaid, uninteresting people for the most part that seem to want to preach to everyone else their ideas.
    Most musicians aren't that talented anymore. Why Beyonce needs several writers for a song that she repeats herself over and over again is beyond me.
    And then of course there are reality stars that are completely devoid of even the modicum of talent other celebrities have.