Why so much false emotion and mourning for David Bowie?

Like why is everyone all of a sudden a fan especially people who never listened to his music before and thought he was crap (ya'll know who you are).

David Bowie was a great singer, musician, pop and fashion icon but he was just an entertainer lets all not pretend to have known him intimately and personally.

Most Helpful Guy

• I like Bowie's music, but I am not deeply saddened over his death because I don't know him personally, sure I think it's a loss to his family, particularly his young daughter and my condolences go out to his family but that's it.

• Hit it right on the head.

• Thanks for MHO, it just further illustrates how fucking amazing I am. I may swing my bollocks round and round in sheer jubilation.

What Guys Said 12

• And i'm just sitting here ondering wtf people are fuzzing over. As a metalhead i'm more touched by Lemmy's death.

• That's why I don't pay attention when these celebrities die. I didn't care for David or that guy from Fast and Furious before they died, I'm not about to start caring for them now. This is all just a hype train that wasn't supposed to even leave the station since it's all about someone who won't have anymore stops.

• I was the same I was all "Paul Walker died, well he won't like that"

• Well obviously his fans will be upset and he was a bit of an icon, even if you didn't like his music. I didn't like his music either, but as a big star, it's always going to be fairly big news, just like when any other big celebrity dies.

Perhaps those people aren't 'sudden fans', but were actually just fans? They don't go around saying every artist they like every day! That's just highlighted to you now, when said artist dies because it's then that people mention it- but that doesn't mean they weren't always fans.

• I liked his music but im not going to pretend I gave it a second thought when he died nor am I going to imortalise him on my wall and build shrines. There are loads of people I know who all of a sudden are all about bowie when they for years disliked his music.

• Well some people might like to do that, not eveyone thinks the same.

As for liking him when they didn't before, that's probably just jumping on a bandwagon. Some people are just sheep.

• Good point they all think they are beautiful and unique snowflakes when all they are is identical sheep.

• yeah is anybody really sad? if so they need to reevaluate their priorities in life. i said, damn that sucks... moved on with my life.

• Grounds conTROLL to major Tom...

• Scott Weiland and Lemmy's passing were more difficult for me. Bowie'a death is sad, but I didn't listen to him much anyway.

I guess the martyr status does something for an artist's popularity - people like Hendrix who were already talented get elevated to legend status in death.

• Yeah, my mother were a little upset about it and I did grow up listening to his music with her.

I do think it is indeed a little pathetic to mourn over someone who never meant anything to them.

• Exactly... He didn't die as a child or in an accident or something.

• I only show emotion for those who suffered through cancer as that is a brutal way to die. I dont care who you are, how famous you are or how rich... nobody deserves to die from cancer.

I have the utmost respect for those who have to live with cancer... and even more so the ones who will die from it.

• Do you weep for every cancer sufferer when they die.

• Trust me, i totally understand ;)

• See its that false sentiment that im talkint about br hinest at least none of you two would even give David Bowie a second thought.
      When Dianna Spencer died a reporter ask Keith Richards how he felt about her death, his response "I never met the chick"

• Don't hold back lol

• I don't admire him:
    blogs.spectator.co.uk/.../

No tears for him. Who can read that and regret him?

• "why is everyone all of a sudden a fan especially people who never listened to his music before and thought he was crap"

Are they? I have regularly listened to his 70's albums for the past couple years, none of my friends were into him, and so far none of them have changed on that front.

What Girls Said 6

• Honestly, for myself, I really only know about him through the works of other artists.

Shiny Toy Guns covering Major Tom
    The Wallflowers covering Heroes
    Tommy Lee covering Fame
    Alice Cooper covering Suffragette City
    Nirvana covering The Man Who Sold the World

and then there is the one he worked on with Nine Inch Nails, I'm Afraid of Americans

Sure, it's sad that he's died, in the way it's sad when anyone dies.

Bowie is trending now, Social Media will direct people soon where to trend next.

• Although srsly my eyes are searing with pain, from realizing just how ugly everyone was, in the 1970's. I mean, even Bowie's GROUPIES were freakin' hideous. And fourteen.

'Cause that was a thing, back then. A thing that happened. And that even spawned an entire magazine, and shit. 14- and 15-year-old groupies. With sober-ya-the-hell-up-ugly faces.

To think that's when they made me... right then, at the height of the reign of the ugly people.

::sob::

What the hell were all the attractive people doing, in the 1970s? Where'd they go?

Is THAT why Roe v. Wade passed in '73? Bc people suddenly realized just how fucking ugly their progeny was gna be?

Ok, I'm done.

• Are you ugly? You're from the 70's.

• Lets face it all male celebrities were at that in 60's+70's including the Rolling Stones and Elvis and just like Michel Jackson because there is so many hundreds of millions at stake the record companies will protect them long after their deaths. This kinda thing went on prominently all through the 18th and early 19th so technically we are all descended from paedophiles. Not to mention child brides are part of every day life in the Islamic world.

• Well, no, because "pedophile" refers specifically to an attraction to pre-pubescent children. Pre-pubescent children, by definition, cannot reproduce. So... well, no. (:

Yes, human evolution is full of some pretty unsavory shit, including the fact that "evolutionary fitness" pretty much meant "most brutal most ruthless killers" for all those hundreds of thousands of years. Sure. The history ain't pretty.
      But, let's at least try to use words properly, huh?

• They just want to evolve with the world and be a follower. Like if 100 people jump off a bridge then everyone else wants to follow because the its around the world and its on going news. Not knowing it will cause death? But they'll do it or talk about it just because everyone is doing so.

I don't know Bowie that much but i've heard his music plenty of times. I may have heard the song but not recall the name of the artist

• He is not American but British. Americans hate foreigner unless they are drug dealers or whore. He could be both

• I only ever knew Bowie as the goblin king, but I still feel bad that he died especially because I know how it affected people who did know him more...

• Reminds me of Michael Jackson. The day prior everyone thought he was a boy fucker.