Do you ever think there aren't enough minority mermaids in pop culture?

Most Helpful Guy

• I really don't think there needs to more mermaids unless people plan on doing anything new with them. Mermaids in pop culture still follow the same old formula: happy, beautiful people with colored fish tales and a somewhat seductive nature. It's kinda boring, don't you think? If people want mermaids back in the spotlight, they should add a twist or two.

• Nvm. I didn't understand the question until after I commented. Umm I don't really have an answer to that. I don't really think about that. I suppose, as someone else said, the origin of mermaids mythology would dictate that mermaids would mostly be white.

• But there's mermaids in different mythology all over the world. It'd be nice to see someone do something with their backgrounds.

Most Helpful Girl

• No, I don't.

The world doesn't owe you minority anythings. Although undines are common mythical creatures in many cultures, the reason white women are depicted as mermaids is because the pop culture mermaid is largely based on the Hans Christian Andersen story, a Danish author.

If you want a minority character as a mermaid, go ahead and write that story. Nobody's stopping you.

People need to realise that writers don't write their stories to intentionally exclude a class, gender, race or whatever. They write about things they're FAMILIAR with, what THEY can RELATE to.

You will see this pattern everywhere. Most female authors will have a female protagonist, whereas most male authors will have a male one. Whichever culture the author grew up in will influence the setting of the story. If the author had a miserable life, it's more than likely their stories will be sad and depressing.

If you want a minority character, look for minority authors.

• Sheesh, it was a joke don't be so serious
      "The world doesn't owe you minority anythings"
      Actually half minority ;)

• It's not a joke when authors are forced to fill minority quotas when writing their stories, then accused of racism when SJWs are still not satisfied.

Your post may be in jest, but a whole lot of others are not and yours will only get lumped with the rest.

What Guys Said 8

• How common are mermaids in pop culture in the first place?
    Only big mermaid I can think of is Ariel, and that's an adaptation of a Danish story right?
    So in short, no I don't think there's an issue here.

• FINALLY.

YES. I am so tired of Anglo mermaids! Booooooorrrrringgggg!!!

Fuck Daryl Hannah.

• Mermaids are hot in any skin color. I say mix it up a bit! 👍🏼

• Lol never once have I thought about this

• Mermaids were Greek and Persian mythological beings. Thus, it wouldn't make much sense for them to be anything other than white or olive-skinned.

• HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAH

• never really thought about it

• Mermaids are bitches. All the pirates had sex with.

What Girls Said 1

• It's be nice to see the tales of mermaids/mermaid-like creatures from different cultures and religions because they are out there. Unfortunately they're just not as well known.