I am confusion: Is Hermoine Granger black or white?

Rowling says she didn't specify her race in the books. She was playes by Emma Watson in the movies, who is white. Now she's being played by a black woman?

Most Helpful Guy

• Her race isn't specified in the books because it isn't relevant, and its inclusion may change how readers interpret the character. None of her actions in the book have anything to do with race. The point is that her character is based on her intelligence, bravery, and loyalty, not on her appearance. The bits we do get about her appearance are simply that her hair is really bushy and frizzy, and that she has unusually large teeth. The portrayal of her in the movies does not accurately reflect the portrayal in the books, and taking it as the 'canon' version of her is silly as it is clearly just a Hollywood interpretation.

Race does not change the character at all - being a frizzy haired intelligent white girl or a frizzy haired intelligent black girl doesn't change what she does in the story, nor does it change what is important about her. She is defined by her actions and her intelligence.

So, is she black or white? Both, and neither. She is whatever you want her to be.

Most Helpful Girl

• the art in the books depict a white character for Hermione... um i understand the oh giving equal opportunity but it some how puts me off i mean i can believe Emma is Hermione. It will be hard for Noma but if she is really a great actress she should do fine. but i did see Rowling was pretty well versed in describing other ethnic charters that were not white in her books. examples Lee Jordan, Cho Chang to name just a few

What Guys Said 17

• Now she's being played by a black woman? What movie/series? O. o
    Oh and i think she said that cause we (the readers) can imagine her anyway we want, you can interpret her as you wish, for me she is white (probably because I'm white too) for some she might be black.

• She's being played by a black woman in the Cursed Child. It's a play

• Ah ok then lol I thought there's gonna be a movie or something.. Not into plays at all but it's fine :D Thanks

• I find it really stupid also she's white since that is the race she was in the main movies it also destroyer's the character and the persona the actor had built.

• There's no point saying something like that here mate. Everybody swallowed a pc bible here ages ago

• @bluenose1872 I agree some people shouldn't be allowed to vote but that would be going against our countries notion of freedom.

• Well that's precisely it about freedom. It's just a notion. Might as well have a notion of voting control as well

• We are seeing this a bit now with old stories - In "Elementary" Watson is now an Asian American woman for example.

• Interpret her or any character however you want!

Who knows, she could be Asian!

• Asians don't usually have frizzly hair. But I've seen Harry Potter drawn as Indian (or black?)

• By Asian, I mean East Asian

• Well it is fiction so who knows. The point is its upto you what the character is.

• Anybody can be anybody in this loopy world now. Morgan Freeman is playing Einstein in a film coming up and another about the British monarchy has casted 30% minorities in the leads. Just have to fiddle with history a little. Never been a problem before for america.

• It does kind of ruin the continuity of the franchise, unless the new Harry Potter movies are going to be a reboot of the franchise. If that's the case then Hermione being black doesn't matter.

• Wait, nevermind, I didn't know that Hermione being black was for a PLAY.

In light of this revelation of mine: Her being black doesn't matter.

• The skin color obviously reflects on the character's personality

• She might not have specified it but I think it's safe to say she imagined Hermoine as white. The cover art of the prisoner of askaban showed her being white and she didn't object to it. It doesn't really matter though in my opinion.

• She's a white woman. Makes sense she would write about white people unless there was a specific reason not to

• She can be whatever race people want her to be I don't think it's a big deal.

• Peter Pan was played by a woman

• I think people going on about this lately's been a little bit extremely hilarious.

• well in reality she identifies as a angelic wolfkin and does not form to such binary social constructs : P

• Hermione Granger is English, so by default she'd be white. There is no reference to her race in the books because English are white. It's no accident that a white girl was cast to play her, along with all the other characters. These aren't Afro-punk, Rastaman, Brixton wizards, you know.

• Dear God, there are non-white people in the UK!

• Yes, but they're immigrants, i. e. not Anglo-Saxon. English ethnicity implies Anglo-Saxon.

• Rowling's a crap writer though who uses this type of publicity all the time. That's when she's not ripping off better fantasy novels that is.

• dose it matter? if the actor is good and the writer thinks there right then is this question relevant?

• It's because black people bitch and cry if a movie is made without them, so there has to be a black actor/actress in every film/show. I see her as white simply because Emma Watson is white. It doesn't matter to me though.

• You are a bad person, that's all I'm gonna say.

• Hermoine Granger is a fictional character! Currently she has been portrayed as both black and white!

What Girls Said 19

• It doesn't matter. Does her race really change who she is as a person? The only thing that Rowling has said about Hermione's appearance is that she has crazy brown hair and brown eyes. Her most important characteristic is her cleverness. Hermione can be imagined any which way.

• It's not specified, so it's left to people's imaginations.

• It was never stated what race she was. Seeing as the play will be in a different universe to the move, they can be different and neither interpretation is incorrect.

• She can be any color. Like you said: Rowling didn't specify a skin color or race when she wrote Hermione.

• She's being played by a black woman in a play. She was played by a white woman in the films. In the books, it is never specified what her race is, however I don't think that JK Rowling had her in mind as black, cause she always specified when other characters were black. Not that it matters... its a fictional story and fictional characters. I don't see why people give a shit if she's played by someone black or white.

• Why does it matter? In the field of acting, color is irrelevant these days. As long as you can do your job and really portray the characters essence, then the color of their skin isn't an issue.

• Hermione Granger is white in the books and the movies. I never saw her being played by a black woman..

• She'll be played by Noma Dumezweni in the Cursed Child. She's black.

• It's a play.

• ohhhh well I don't know she is white but i guess they couldnt find a white woman to play hermione granger or they just didn't want to be 'racist'

• That's the good thing about books. She can be whatever you imagine her to be. You assume she should be white because of Emma Watson, but just like J. K said, it was never specified.

• She was English, so she was white. Case closed.

• We don't know, that's the magic with books, it's up to you own imagination.

• You said it yourself. Her race wasn't specified in the books, so she can be whatever race you want her to be.

• Her description in the books includes she has brown hair... so...

• She's black for the new film I believe
    And why does skin colour affect character so much wtf

• Because it destroyer's the character that has been established by a former actor, that why in most cases when an actor that plays a character for a long time decides to no play them anymore Hollywood always tries to find another actor the best resembles the former actor that played the character.

• Except it's a different actress, the actor won't be the same.

• Oops and neither will the character.

• I am actually more upset that Ron is not a ginger than the new hermione being black.

• I thought that the original actors would do this, and I've just heard about this I thought re series ended. It will be different without the original actors I could care less about race

• Also in a lot of movies white actors play in roles for characters that are supposed to be minorities unlike this series that didn't have any specific race for hermonie (think of the Egyptian movies that were not set during Greek rule and some Indian movies where there was brown face) so people need to get over themselves

• She doesn't have a race in the original tale.

• I imagine her white because of the movies, but since it isn't specified I don't think it matters

• I am confusion: Why does this matter to anyone?

• doesn't matter. its not important to the story since its not really historical