Why was "The a Force Awakens" so disappointing?

I'm a huge Star Wars fan, and I've watched every movie at least 30 times each, but, wow, did this new one suck. The story didn't fit in the continuity at all, the plot was so uninspired and unoriginal, the characters were flat out bad, so much was copied from other Star Wars media, and even the music was bland. What happened? Why was it so lame, despite its $200 million budget?

More importantly, why is it so critically acclaimed thus far? There's no way most people actually like this movie that much. Reviewers, whom are usually pretty harsh, are just sucking Disney's dick on this one. What the hell? Why is this?

Most Helpful Girl

• I wasn't a fan I spent the entire movie saying I've seen this before. Plus Rae is totally going to kiss Ben which is going to be her brother or cousin

• Even Rey was unoriginal, and just way too overpowered. Kylo Ren was easily the worst Star Wars villian ever.

• It's all unoriginal I will go see the next one cause I'm a geek. But this is the problem when we run out of movie ideas. They make crap.
      My biggest issue with Ben (Yes I know I keep using his given name but Kylo is stupid) is that Darth Vaders Mask was way cooler and far more Bad ass than his and we've gained technology

• And Starkiller base is just completely ridiculous, not to mention General Angry GInger's weird Nazi speech.

What Girls Said 1

• There was a rumor that they wanted to reboot the original (Ep. 4-6) but because they are so well known, they created this one. I enjoyed it for what it was. I was looking forward to maybe seeing Jacen Solo or something from the expanded universe.

• We basically saw Jacen Solo, just an emo pathetic version of him.

• I know. I wanted the legit Jacen, though.

• Yeah, same. But, I never thought Disney would do the right thing and make the EU stories movies. Fuck Disney.

What Guys Said 7

• I do agree they kind of copied the plot of a new hope as for the story itself it was kind of done that way on purpose to set everything up for the next movie. You know they had to establish characters and stuff so that in the next movie there will be a larger emotional impact and their characters will already be known and the plot will be set so that the story can really take off.

What they did regarding Solo's son though was pretty much a rip off of the duel between the Solo twins in the extended universe, Rey taking the place of Hans daughter, even though she is probably lukes daughter most likely, that is the only possible way she could have such strong abilities without any training whatsoever. Not ever Anakin the chosen one had such latent raw ability he had to at least be trained first.

• To me, it was like it's alright.

I watched it in IMAX 3D with a co-worker. I know I was just there to try and get the most out of the sound and visual effects, but that's all I was really there for. I missed out on the much superior original trilogy which I will eventually watch when I have time.

I'm not all overhyped and obsessed over a new Star Wars film because I don't have that level of emotional attachment or interest in that Franchise. After a while I eventually learned to not really care or have really any expectations for All and ANY sequels, reboots, remakes and prequels of All and ANY franchises, because I realized that almost always they will pale and be inferior when compared to their original counterparts such as their first 2-3 times around (Star Wars was originally just a single Trilogy of films) because the originals are the only ones that would still be fresh and captivating.

Anything regardless if spin-offs, etc that comes after usually is there just because hollywood producers are gonna make more of them just for the sake of really trying to make some more money.

But that's just me.

For example, I've been a Terminator fan for quite some time and I followed that. After I watched Terminator 3 Rise of the Machines I figured from that movie and anything that comes after Will NEVER Ever even come close to the way I feel about the first 2 Terminator films. I learned to not have really any high expectations any more from that point on, because I'm pretty sure they are gonna fuck things all up and do it just really because it's all just a business and therefore they really only want to make money as their Real end goal.

• I saw it twice.

First time I got stoned too early and kept falling asleep.

Second time I watch it with a friend.

Meh, I sort of liked it, but I wasn't crazy about it.

• No offense but I think all star wars movies suck lol And they're overrated too, but that's just my opinion.. I know a lot of people love them I just don't see it, how, why.. It's so baad :S

• You'll understand it better if you play the games (especially KOTOR I and II) and read some of the books.

• I appreciate it you trying to make me like it lol but It's just the whole concept of it it's too much for me, I like sci-fi movies, series as much as I love every other genre but I just don't see the big hype over a series of movies like this one.. And yes i like Harrison a lot but I still can't watch it even if it's him.. It's just my opinion, everyone is different, and I respect the big fans that are into it so much lol, I just hate those retard fans that praise it like it's above all the movies/series in the world. Yes for them it might be and I'd be okay if they expressed it in that way, but sticking it in your face and saying, you have no taste, you suck, Star wars is the best and always will be you moron etc (not personally to me but what I've read lol) They're fucked up, big time :D Thanks again

• i thought it was fine. The main issue i had was that it was too much like A New Hope, but i generally loved the characters, the effects and the music. (especially ray's theme). And i think you need to chalk it up to people having different tastes than you do. Just because you don't like a movie, it doesn't mean that people who did like it are sucking anyones dick. Again, just a difference of tastes

• Rey was just too OP for my tastes, and Kylo Ren was just such a bitch. And Finn was just sort of there.

• I loved it man!!!

• Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man...