How would your parents react to the music you listen to?

So I was listening and singing to the song "Planes" in front of my mom and she slapped me 😂😂

Most Helpful Girl

• I listen to the same kind of music they listen to generally, so they don't really... react. And back when I was a kid and heavy into the pop / rap / hip-hop my dad would always just dance along to it and sing and try and rap and stuff.

They're pretty chill.

Most Helpful Guy

• Most of my music is heavy metal, which my parents (and most people I know) dislike. So I have to make playlists that are okay to play when they might walk into the room, or when I'm taking a shower (since they can hear the music from anywhere in our apartment).

I hate having to censor myself. I don't know why I like metal so much more than the rest of my family.

What Girls Said 17

• My parents think some of the metal I listen to is too heavy for their tastes but we do have similar tastes in terms of rock.

• My mum use to say metal, was the devils music lol

• Same lol. She thought my ex boyfriend, who plays in a metal band was some sort of criminal/satanist :P

• My parents are big fans of metal, but when I told them about the rock-rap combination they were like "What the fuck?". 😂😂
    I also like K-pop too, dad thinks it's ok, but mom starts to make racist jokes about it if she hears it or sees an Asian on the street while I'm around...

• I like Kpop. Usually when I play it around my mom, she starts making noises like "Hoi ching chong po" and other racist things. She thinks she's hilarious.

• They think its werid and laugh!

• LOL My parents always think there has to be a reason why I like a certain song... like I had a friend in middle school who I paid to burn me a CD, and my parents asked to listen to it. One of the songs was "Ice Box" by Omarion and they thought I'd broken up with somebody or something and I wasn't even dating anyone XD and then one time I was going through my music list and mom was like, "Why do all the songs you like have sad or depressing titles?" I dunno, that's just the way it is

• I play that song everytime i drive and my parents never seem to mind it, i even sing it out loud haha.

• hahah! Lady! U drive ur parents around!

• @apple24 Sometimes when our driver goes home. He goes home like once every two weeks for 2 days haha

• Oh haha! That must be fun! I am poor so hahah! My mom is my driver haha!

• I listen to country because that's what my mom listened to while I was growing up so that would not surprise her, but she does get bored when I play my classical music or my oldies. And by oldies I mean like 60's music.

• My mom sometimes asks me what song I'm listening to, because she thinks it's nice :D
    Since she doesn't speak English/Korean, she'll never know what the music I'm listening to is about 😏
    But it's not inappropriate anyway, so it wouldn't matter!

• She doesn't react. Unless it's too loud xD
    I don't think it's her taste, though

• I don't know she probably wouldn't mind that much I like fob and p! atd but to the songs that have stuff about doing drugs like don't threaten me with a good time I don't know how she would react

• My parents have listened to my music. Apparently it's satanic 😂

• They know I like r&b and they dont care because they grew up on it

• "Ay caramba, turn it down!!" when I'm listening to EDM. They love latin music as much as I do, so they don't complain to that

• Well lol I was listening to "Talk Dirty to Me" by Jason Derulo and my mom shot me a couple frowns

• Nothing they know what I listen

• My mom listens to the same music

What Guys Said 7

• My parents just put a blanket label over everything of mine as "screamo..." even though much of it is regular clean vocals. Nevertheless, they don't seem to mind whatever I listen to. I don't try and force it on them and they don't try to force it away from me.

However, I don't exactly play the worst songs when they are around. *cough cough* Not The American Average or the unedited version of Down With The Sickness.

• I listen to a lot of music that my parents (especially my mom) also listen to. Music from their generation that they've grown up with. As for the other music I listen to... I think they would probably like it. I'm very much into singer-songwriter and folk music and I know my mom also likes that. The only real disagreement we have is that I also like classical music. My parents are not so much into that.

• I got into metal by my moms Pantera CD. Vulgar Display of Power and The Great Southern Trendkill. Fuck yes.

• Dad would like it, mum would rant about ethnics and being common and junk.
    www.youtube.com/watch

• Well I listen to a variety.

My mom doesn't care. My dad doesn't like my metal collection, but lives my jazz/blues playlsts and instrumentals

• They dig it

• I don't listen to cheap , thrash , substandard music , so they'd be pretty cool with that.