Why are they called musicians?

Why are people like Nicki Minaj, Justin Bieber, One Direction, Rihanna, Iggy Azaela (you get my point) called Musicians if
1 : they dont play an instrument
2 : have 4 lyrics writers (so not themselves)
3 : have 3 sound engineers create their beat and auto tune their voice
4 : use playback during concerts
WHY?

Most Helpful Girl

• My thoughts exactly!

Most Helpful Guy

• Because teens

Because PEOPLE HAVE THE WORST MUSIC TASTE THESE DAYS GO BACK TO THE 70S AND 80S U PEASANTS

What Girls Said 7

• Hm? I think you're the one calling them musicians they're primarily referred to as artists or singers. People usually say Singer-songwriter Justin Beiber, or pop band, One Direction or Hip Hop Artist Nicki Minaj... Musician might be something some people feel is tied to them because what they do falls in the realm of music but I'd feel awkward calling Jennifer Lopez a "musician" she's an Rnb&pop artist.

• In that case same question : artists means actually creating something YOURSELF not an army of songwriters or a batalion of soung engineers doing everything for ya and you show to lip sync on stage half (or totally) naked

• Today's music industry..

• I am a metalhead so i stay away from that but i dont understand how the term Musician used to designate icons like Metallica, Queen or AC/DC and now designate bitches half naked in music videos... make music "music" again please

• Well me neither but it's modern. It's what sells in today's society. It's what considered being a "musician" today, sadly. People enjoy this and as long as they do it will continue to sell.

• There is a high demand for those types are artists. All of them have changed their styles to better fit the mold of the music industry. Can't hate them for playing the game.

• Justin Bieber is a talented singer, Rihanna is also a talented singer, Iggy can't rap, Nicki CAN rap and One Direction doesn't exist anymore

• cuz whether u like them or not, they are in the music industry and sing/perform/sell music.

• Uhm because they are? Respect the art.

• Hahahahaha oh wait you are serious. Let me laugh even harder : HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

• Disgusting how you can have so little respect for something that positively impacts and uplifts millions of people on the daily. Smh.

• Their voice is their instrument I guess. But ur right, autotune is so common anyway.

What Guys Said 11

• cause they preform in the music industry. also they can all sing. maybe not iggy and nicki (i've never heard them), but i'm pretty sure they all can play instruments. kinda like how t pain uses almost all autotune, but then you realize he does this shit
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIjXUg1s5gc

• I wonder how many people truly like modern music vs the "everybody's listening to it" factor. I've heard that the government likes things like that so they can prevent people from thinking or imagining. What happens from thought and imagination? THIS: A wonderful world to live in without the need for control... a politician's worst nightmare.

• For every shite pop star there's a shite metal band to accompany it. Shit music is omnipresent, stop being a genre fascist.

I'm the kinda guy that has deathcore, punk, trap, pop, rap, dubstep etc. All in one playlist. So bashing a specific genre won't wash.

Bet you have holes in your ears and wear ADTR shirts with the sleeve cut off.

• ADTR? i dont know what that is. I listen to Amon Amarth, Behemoth, Lamb of God, Slayer, Suicide Silence, Metallica, Iron Maiden etc...

• Apart from Suicide Silence, I approve. ADTR is A Day To Remember. Shit band.

You smoke weed? Ever think that metal's just too uptempo for when you're high? That's how I got into trap. Different music fits different situations. I listen to metal in mornings and before work and shit, when I need to get pumped.

• I agree 100%. Singers are musicians, but if you need autotune and can't perform live, the you just suck.

• It's why I love opera. They train their voices to be instruments.

• I may not be a fan of the opera but i respect them for their incredible performances

• Because it feeds their egos.

• Technically they do make music, so I guess that makes them musicians on some way. Even if they are shit.

• I don't think they are musicians. Singers, maybe, as long as they don't lip sync. If they lip sync, then I think they are just fake.

• They are vocalist.

• Because people have become lazy and inept.

• Vocals are an instrument, they also have to match pitch and make song suit their voice by doing licks and climbing notes. The singing aspect of writing a new song is the most fundamental part

• Except they dont write, and their voice is modified so much you dont know what is real or not

• Metal is less successful in the past 5 years, it is. There's no argument

• well of course it is, it has been successful in the past 45 years (do you know Iron Maiden? )

• thats a good question. they shouldn't