Why is the BBC so popular?

And yes I mean the British Broadcast Corporation/Channel. Why is it so popular on here? I've never paid it much attention at all. I really don't understand why all of you like it so much. Sherlock looks wack. What are the good documentaries?
Why is the BBC so popular?

Most Helpful Girl

• Two words. Downton. Abbey. <3

• What's it about?

• Thanks for MHO man!

• You're welcome :)

Most Helpful Guy

• sherlock is dope. also, peaky blinders and top gear. they just show lots of shit.

• Sherlock doesn't look dope to me. I don't know what Peaky Blinders is about. What's that? Top Gear I don't like.

• i'm from up north, but my dad's from southern virginia and most of them live there and north carolina and i went to school in carolina. plus, i'm trying to move outta new jersey to south carolina, georgia or florida. eh, depends where. like, a lot of my friends from college have a thick accent. and i've been to alabama and most of the people had a really thick 1.

• At times you can tell they are trying to drag out an episode, but overall the pace isn't too bad. The story is unique. It's a very interesting story, and has some historical stuff to it. The acting is really good. Especially the main character. She won a Saturn Award. The show also won an Emmy for its music composition. The intro is very beautiful. One of the best intros I've ever heard.

Ohhhhh. Yeah I haven't seen a whole lot of Charlie Chaplin and the 3 stooges. I've seen some of the 3 stooges, but not a lot.

What Girls Said 4

• My grandma is English so we've always watched a lot of BBC shows.

There are a lot of cool history docus. Like there's a series all about everyday things that would have killed you in the past, another about the history of mental health, and lots about odd little events in history.

• See that's what I'm thinking. I'm thinking it has to do with a lot of British people on here, or British roots.

So mostly documentaries on odd stuff.

• Okay. Sherlock I won't be watching then.

• The first season is good.

• it's the best channel

• I don't think it's that popular in America

• Sherlocks? Can u explain more :) my English is not enough to completely understand

What Guys Said 14

• The BBC is popular because it's impartial, they keep out of things and offer a fair, balanced view on a lot of things, they are funded by the government, but aren't dependent on them, and there are charters signed with said government that they can't influence their broadcasting, in other words, they're an independent company that doesn't make money (except for license fees). and, they're nice about a lot of things, morally and ethically, they don't breach laws, but do strain them to get the best stories at the highest quality, and really strive for that. but, if you don't like them, i can't change your opinion, and it's completely fine with me

• Yeah then they are basically the British TV version of NPR. I'll stick with NPR if it's about that.

• It used to be quite the quality station. Especially considering documentaries. In the last around 10-15 years there happened a switch though and they turned more and more into a direction that pushes certain political agendas in a mostly subtle and sometimes not so subtle way.

• 0|0
  • Monty Python, Doctor Who, Sherlock (in any form is best done by the Brits), Lucky Man, Are You Being Served? are all good examples.

• I'm not going to watch Doctor Who. Too much to beige watch. Sherlock looks boring to me. I don't know about Lucky Man and Are You Being Served. I will check out Peaky Blinders though. It looks good.

• Have you ever seen the nature documentary series of BBC? They are the best. BBC Planet Earth, BBC Life, etc. And Top Gear was awesome.

• Not a fan of Top Gear. The rest of what you mentioned might be worth looking into.

• Even if you aren't into nature documentaries, you'll love BBC nature documentaries. They are mind blowing. They're the most expensive nature documentaries in the world. I'd start of with Planet Earth.

• It's not popular with me. Not when I have to pay for a licence to watch my TV that I bought over my cable that I paid for.

• American women like British telly for some reason. Lots of Americans on here. That's why.

• TOP GEAR!!!

• I love it because of Orphan black, Dr. Who, and Star Trek: The next generation reruns <3

• Never been a fan of Star Trek. Orphan Black I wanted to try, but then I figured I wouldn't like it. Dr. Who I've heard is really good, but then it's like Walking Dead or GOT. I'd have to start off from the beginning and watch a bunch of stuff. I'm too lazy for that.

• Dr Who has been on a long time, So it would take awhile.

• Yeah F that then lol.

• Because they make the best documentaries ever made, about anything.

• I'm not a big fan of documentaries though.

• Why? They are not the same, you can find a lot of different ways they are made. some of them are almost like movies, and very well made to keep us entertained. BBC is very good at doing it.

• There are some good shows on there. I personally don't watch it frequently, but I know folks who do.

• Sounds like a news channel.

• No clue. It's bloody awful. Except for Top Gear. But I think even that got plugged

• because Doctor Who

• That comes on that channel? That's why then. That's a really popular show. I've never seen it. I can't knock it.