Feeling extremely frustrated. Does talent trump hard work?

So I am a studio dancer and have been dancing since the age of 3. My best friend also goes to the same studio. We both auditioned for the Royal Winnipeg Ballet. She got in but I didn't. She always gets all the dance scholarships and wins every competition. I try my best to be happy for her and she truly deserves it. I look up to her. But I work just as hard, practice way more and extremely passionate about dance. Was I born a loser?

Most Helpful Guy

• Certainly not a loser but ballet like many other extremely physical occupations is body type dependent. There are no 7 foot tall jockeys and no 5 foot tall linebackers. At the top levels the small bodily differences make that small but crucial difference.

My daughter loved ballet and studied from age 3 like you. I pulled her out at age 12 when she started trying to hide her breasts. Now she's a black belt.

Most Helpful Girl

• I seriously doubt you were born a loser if you're still able to be dancing this much at your age.

What Guys Said 4

• While luck is not the determining factor in success, it does play a role. Sometimes it's in your favor, other times it's not. But you have to be present and prepared at the right time when opportunity presents itself, and when that opportunity does come, you have a chance of succeeding.

You say she always gets ALL the dance scholarships and wins EVERY competition. Is this accurate, or slightly exaggerated? In other words, does she get 100% of every scholarship and win 100% of every competition?

Are you able to get feedback from the judges or whoever decides who gets the scholarships or who wins the competitions?

I know nothing about dance, so I can't really give any advice there, but try and get honest feedback from unbiased 3rd parties, ask "if there was 1 single thing I could do differently or improve to be better, what would that be?"

At the end of the day though, what's your reason for dancing? Hopefully it's because it brings you enjoyment and happiness. If that's the case, then dance for the fun of it and the good feeling it brings you and don't focus on the awards and scholarships. That's not to say don't try and find ways to improve, but don't make winning the goal, make the goal having fun and feeling good.

• In the dance community, there is a thing called the"it factor" you either have it or you don't. She has superior techniques and musicality.

• I get it... I'm a musician and I know what you mean, some people have a good ear and a good sense of timing and rhythm, other people don't.
      Doesn't mean they can't succeed though, just means they have to work extra hard at it and/or create their own style that works for them.

If you're someone who struggles more with technique and musicality, maybe doing dance for the enjoyment ONLY with no competitive goals is the way to go? Do it strictly for the fun of it, and if you do compete, do it without expectations of wining. Who knows, you may be surprised every now and then and get a win, but if you're not doing it FOR the "win", then you won't feel let down or upset if you still had a good time.

• The trick is to identify what your talents are, then work on them. If you aren't naturally talented in some aspect, you need to make up for that with hard work, and yet talent can trump you.

• Yes, you are 😑. Also, some people are just better than others. And if it's that big of a deal, figure out what you actually need to improve upon.

• Why would you say that? Practice makes perfect. Some just have a more natural ability for it. Maybe better coaching and greater ambition will get you there if you want it badly enough.

What Girls Said 0