Is there an app to limit time spent on online games via desktop (not on wifi) that run directly off a server rather than a browser (e. g. Minecraft)?

Most Helpful Guy

• I do remember my friend being limited by this software called computertime... But that was over 6 years ago, not sure if it's still there. I don't recommend it though. Strict limitations can only fuel the desire to binge game.

• I don't want him to not have access at all, but he's online from the minute he gets home from school until he goes to bed, and all day every weekend. Just trying to create some balance.

• Exposure to blue light is also a factor

• Well I did say inconclusive. Blue Light= Screen time. Until concrete and undeniable proof comes up, I'd suggest taking it with a grain of salt, lest this potential misunderstanding becomes something like the anti-vaccine trend.

Most Helpful Girl

• My dad set up a wifi router that limits my time on my iPad like Internet and all that. If you are looking for one on the iPad I wouldn't think there really is one but on PC there might be I'm not sure

What Guys Said 5

• LOL I am guessing you're doing this for your kid? What my parents did was hiding the pc power cable :P

• Lol. I don't want him to not have access at all, but he's online from the minute he gets home from school until he goes to bed, and all day every weekend. Just trying to create some balance.

• I know that you're a parent and you're probably thinking "what does he know" but I think you're worrying too much. Right now at this age he's online because all his friends are. He probably hasn't discovered girls yet but I think this will change when he does. If you try to limit his online game usage (aka come between him and his friends) he isn't going to realise why that is good for him, he is only going to resent you and talk bad behind your back. For example, "My stupid mom doesn't let me play video games". Just like you, my mom was worried about it and she tried to change things but it only cause arguments between us. I did change my online habits, but that was later and I did it because I wanted to, not because someone told me to.

I know that I dont have a kid and I dont have the same feelings as you (mother instinct) so I am not trying to give you an advise. This is just my view on things.

• No, I'm very considerate of his feelings and friends. He's had unrestricted access since age ten. That's almost four years.

I'm a single parent working a corporate job who spends two hours a day commuting. I have an almost 14 year old who does absolutely nothing to help around the house. He could be doing dishes after dinner, putting his own laundry in the washer, walking the dog, etc. I do all those things myself because he's always online. When I get home from work at 7, I really shouldn't have to make dinner and do all the chores alone.

I think he needs to start having some responsibility, but since I'm often not there to remind him, an app would help him learn to manage his own online time. I use one myself.

• Yep.. Most security/anti-virus softwares (McAfee for example) have such a system whereby you can restrict internet usage/ keep tabs and block websites as it seems appropriate to the Admin

• I don't want to block it, just set a limit like three hours a day. There's an app called StayFocusd that I use myself, but it works by turning off the browser when your time is up.

• The point is that they don't run via a browser

• Meaning the games don't.

• Overcontrolling asshole parent whose kid will become a school shooter detected

• Damn dude that's a lot of game time on such a shit game haha

There's something you're missing, though. All of that time he's spending aimlessly tapping away at his keyboard and doing nothing productive, he's missing out on an opportunity.

Seriously, there are people on YouTube that make a living making videos. If he's got 4 years of skill and 4 mates to collaborate with I guess you could try to make his pointless activity have a purpose.

Not only would he actually make money (eventually at least), but he'd also have to spend time editing and planning and such. It may not be rebuilding a big block Chevy or something that's stereotypically a 'father/son activity' but it's something where you could spend time with him and actually produce something.

Just an idea, by the way. You could just cut his ethernet cable and be a dick about it, but I often feel that just makes tensions worse.

• Well he doesn't JUST play Minecraft! LOL

• My mom limited my time on Minecraft by loading years of pictures on to the PC, effectively making Minecraft so laggy it didn't work :)

• Hahaha. I don't even try to use the desktop cuz it's so full of junk from his games.

• i dpnt need :)

What Girls Said 0