Why are some white people so offended by Beyonce Formation performance at the Super Bowl?

Honestly, the performance had nothing to do with white people. The song is about black empowerment, especially women. I can't understand why someone would get offended over something so small when there's a plethora of things online about disrespecting blacks, Asians, Hispanics and every other culture religion etc. it's not like she said "I hate white people", being that she has a white grandfather/mother, so why is it controversy in this matter?

Most Helpful Guy

• They just bitch about everything, like the subtle LGBT acceptance message. It's ridiculous how people whine about everything lol

Most Helpful Girl

• probably lines like, "i like baby hair with baby hairs and afros, i like my negro nose with jackson 5 nostrils" reminds everyone of her blackness

• Well how is that offensive? She's black/creole. That's what she is.

• She's probably just doing it for a publicity stunt.

• probably, doesn't make the song any less catchy. thank u rae sremmurd <3

What Guys Said 17

• "Why are some white people so offended by Beyonce Formation performance at the Super Bowl?" Because it made them realize just how nasty they've been over their years here in the US, maybe?

i1127.photobucket.com/.../oh-well-o.gif

• It's the double standard and hypocrisy behind that. Imagine a white person doing something like that about white empowerment... yeah, everyone knows what would happen. Plus, it's shoving down our throats all this black empowerment shit that it's basically more racism, what do you expect, a hug? xD

And it's not just white people criticizing her performance. Watch this video, it'll do you good.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkyBZRE_xzk

• Why would we even need white empowerment?

• @RachelBrigs I did. I was mocking you. I've read a lot of what you've said and believe that you are very ignorant to what is going on. There's a difference between being proud of your heritages history and being racist.

• @pyromaniac69 y'all seem to be talking about something else besides what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the "I love myself" message in Beyonces song, I'm talking about her saying she loves her daughters afro. I'm talking about self empowerment (I am pretty, I am worthy, etc.) Nothing about racism. I don't think its okay for a black person to empower themselves and then cut down and insult white people, as in calling them derogatory names etc. But keep in mind that pointing out the misdeeds of some white people isn't racist.

• Part of the controversy is due to the fact that her performance, and her dancers, paid homage to (and celebrated) the Black Panthers. The Panthers weren't exactly all about peaceful change and progress, and even tortured and murdered at least one of their own members. In that regard, they were the antithesis of what Dr. Martin Luther King was calling for.

• The BP were created in defense to the KKK and police brutality. Some of the black community felt like the peaceful movement did them no justice. Imagine being kind to people and all they do is shit on you? Eventually you'll get pissed. It's human nature. The media tends to make the BP appear as these evil blacks who were angry. They were just regular people who felt like they needed to protect their own.

• Do you have a link or lyrics to her performance? I looked it up, but every video I watch I can't understand what she's saying.

But people are allowed to be offended over anything they want. They don't need to explain to anyone why they are offended. They don't need to make people understand why they are offended.

Also, just because a certain group of people had harsher lives at certain points in time, doesn't mean people that can't relate to those harsh times can't be offended for their own views. Its like saying my problems don't matter because people are starving and beaten somewhere else. My problems will never be as bad a generations before me or people in less developed countries. But my emotions, words, and actions should still matter.

Also, just because someone has heritage with a certain group, doesn't mean they can't hate that group.

• It was the anti police message that offended me. After having police escort her to and from the stage.

• people just like complaining and whining

• Yeah those that are complaining are really reaching. Like you're telling this woman she meant "this" when she actually meant "that".
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b_TMiWBXFSM

• There is no need for those kinda messages at a event like that..
    its a game, for entertainment...
    end of story

• They were supporting the black panther party. I'd be fine it it was just a regular black lives matter thing, but don't bring a black supremacist group into this.

• Yeah a musical tribute to the Black Panthers, a black supremacist who MURDERED police officers on the beat. Wonder if they'll get Bono in to do an IRA tribute next year. Oh wait Catholics aren't considered victims of persecution so probably not!

• Sorry I meant to say 'black supremacist group' there.

• Cops are people. Black or white lol. That's why I said wrong vs. right and not black vs. white. by the way, I bet you didn't know about the white panthers. They were basically the opposites of KKK. I can never put anybody in a box. There's good and bad of every race. I just hate how people are acting like Beyoncé is suddenly this bad person.

• Who are you to come out with 'cops are people?' After you tried to justify a tribute to a racist terrorist organisation that gunned down cops on the beat! Just answer this, are you Kanye West?

• You're obviously very nieve.

• everyone these days is a pussy who is offeneded anything, seriously people...

• What bothered me about it is that it was anti-police. Yes, there are bad officers, but typically the police only screw with those who screw with them.

Aside from that, I thought it was lame how the media tried to push the notion that Beyonce completely outshone the other performers at the Super Bowl. I don't really care for her music, and I don't care to watch her try to pull off a Janet Jackson impersonation like she's remaking Rhythm Nation. The media just sucks up to Beyonce because of how she looks.

• I agree with the last part. Beyonce tends to want to be the center of attention and for that matter, she doesn't look very humble.

• Well that performance kind of took her from being a performer that many people could enjoy to an activist that everyone finds annoying.
    It's like having a vegan friend. It's great that you're into that, just try not to preach it to literally everyone you meet.

• She's wrong for saying police should needlessly kill people?

• @Indigocloud
      Anyone that says police should needlessly kill people is wrong yes...

• Its obvious to me. The PowerThatBe, want us divided along racial lines. The media is fueling this fire. Those that are less able to identify the deception get tangled in its web.

• She's literally saying stop police brutality and people are going "but..."

• If it weren't for the internet, i wouldn't know anyone was offended. I'm not sure how many people actually were. My guess is not very many who live north of the mason dixon line. Below that i don't know if it's a few blowhards ranting online or lots.

My 13 year old daughter thought she sucked, but that's a different issue.

I'd guess that vague references to the BPP who are maybe not widely accepted and blurred in some people's minds with the NBPP are the reason, but i don't think most white people pay any attention to either.

• the former mayor of new york went on a rant about it

• He's also gone on rants about Bruce springsteen songs not backing cops enough. I don't think we can use that as evidence that white people are offended by Bruce Springsteen.

• Rudy is also pedals fear porn with the best of em. I was just waiting for him to try and link this to 911

What Girls Said 6

• Ugh i know ! These days u cannot do or say anything because someone gets offended.

Why even the need of people to divide society in races, black people, white people, Asians, latins, DEAR GOD! they should Get the fuck over it and get a life, it's disgusting.

• Didn't she pay some respect to the Black Panthers? A violent terrorist group condemned by many black rights activists?

Genuine question, I haven't seen the Superbowl thing.

I do find it rather ironic that Beyonce looks whiter than me most of the time, her skin gets paler and paler and her hair gets lighter and lighter. Was nice to see her "blacked up" for the occasion.

• Omg! Get over t! Geez who cares! I don't understand whats the big deal.

• I watched, but I couldn't really tell what they were singing so I have no idea. I just thought she looked cold in the almost nothing she was wearing.

• didn't watch it, dont care to watch it, dont care period.

• People will find things to complain about, some seem too touchy these days. Maybe they didn't get the message and thought she was trying to subtle attack them or something (which she wasn't). Who knows. :/