Do you think Chris Rock made too many racial slurs last night during The Oscars?

Do you think Chris Rock made too many racial slurs last night during The Oscars? This year NO African Americans were nominated for an Academy Award, not one. Whether it was by coincidence or not, it does seem a bit weird that only white people were nominated this year. Chris Rock was chosen to host the show and made jokes about the issue the ENTIRE show. I am offended that no black people were nominated, but I think he took the jokes too far. What do you think - Do you think Chris Rock took it too far?

"I’m here at the Academy Awards, otherwise known as the White People’s Choice Awards."

"You realize if they nominated hosts, I wouldn’t even get this job! You’d all be watching Neil Patrick Harris right now."

"Everybody went mad [this year] … Jada [Pinkett Smith] got mad. Jada said she’s not coming. Isn’t she on a TV show? Jada boycotting the Oscars is like me boycotting Rihanna’s panties. I wasn’t invited."

“This year, things are going to be a little different. This year, in the In Memoriam package, it’s just going to be black people that were shot by the cops on their way to the movies … yes I said it!”

• Yes, I think Chris Rock took it too far
  • No, I think it's wrong that no African Americans were nominated
  • I didn't watch and I don't care

Most Helpful Guy

• You completely missed the point.

He is a comedian, and the message he was trying to get across was that the Oscar Awards is not racist, but using comedy and sarcasm to illustrate it. The simple statistic of there not being a black Oscar winner does not in itself indicate racism. Otherwise, there would be no history of a black actor EVER winning an Oscar.

There are more white actors in Hollywood, and also more white actors with leading movie rolls. One simply doesn't come across many good black actors in leading Hollywood films, and so really there are no candidates. I should also point out that there were also no Asian nominees in this year's Oscars. Yet, I do not see anyone making a fuss that the Oscar's is racist towards Asians.

Chris Rock said it quite plainly that black actors want the same OPPORTUNITY. Guess what? They do. Any black person, or a person of any color is free to create, direct and star in their own movie. We don't see it very often, but they have the same opportunity to do so. Now whether such a movie becomes a box office hit, or wins any awards is based on the merit of the movie. Nobody's going to nominate a black actor for the sole purpose of nominating someone of color.

Actually for 2015, I can think of no black actors who was in a leading role of a major Hollywood blockbuster. So who exactly do they expect to be nominated?

Some black actors include John Boyega in Star Wars. But that was a terrible movie overall. Audra McDonald in Ricki and the Flash... well, that movie went nowhere. Jada Smith in Magic Mike XXL? A sex-based movie never wins an Oscar as it's too crude. Straight Outta Compton was the only half decent movie and that won an award.

Most Helpful Girl

• Comedians are allowed to go places that few other people are allowed to go whether they are white or black. You can no more condemn him, than you can other white comedians who have taken the stage and used crass, or sexual, or racial humor. Rock was paid to 'take it there.' If you've seen his other comedy, this should have been no surprise to you, seriously. People tuned in because they wanted to see him go there whether they were white or black or any other race, even if they didn't agree with him or his jokes.

What Guys Said 60

• His whole monologue was about race, it was fucking annoying. Yeah, a few puns that were funny, but the rest was just a bunch of whining.
    I was expecting that though, given what have been happening since the nominees were announced. But man, shut up. It's not like black people are never nominated, or they're never given any roles to play.

They segregate themselves with the Black Movies Awards, but they cry when one or two times there's no blacks nominated.
    "Oh mah gawd, there's racism in Hollywood... but lets still make a whole awards show just for ourselves, lets leave whites, Asians and Natives, out of this."
    And then you wanna be taken seriously... just shut up, and do what your preach about, fucking hypocrites.

• You've realize black host shows and channels where created because blacks weren't given air time. You do realize that they do have people of all colors on their shows or awards shows. And fyi is their native Americans or Asians in Hollywood getting tv shows or getting awards? No, because they get thonkbpeople to play those native American parts and Asian parts

• @Kountry_King ghost in the shell is set in far future tokyo

• @cjmtherfcker @aldeeurope yes that's anime and it's made in Japan not only that but that specific anime is bases in Tokyo like @cjmtherfcker said. Either way @alderurope this role doesn't need to be played by a white woman but a Japanese woman. i read an article where they said there forced to play a white woman because she'll be well established actor basically she's an attention grabber. The directors know it's wrong they just want money but if you used a Japanese cast and the movie is actually good now you'll be paving the way for more Japanese actors.

• The whole issue was just blown way out of proportion. If the Academy had never nominated minorities in the past, or given the Oscar to minorities, that would be one thing. But that's not the case. The freaking head of the Academy is black. The idea that Hollywood (one of the most liberal bastions in the world) is purposely excluding blacks is just crazy. What you'll start seeing now though is the Academy having quotas or slots that have to be filled with minorities every year to try to keep people happy. And once you start down that path you get the same situation you get with so-called "affirmative action" in education admissions. People doubt whether minority applicants were selected based on merit or just because of the color of their skin.

• They've already announced their plan. They're just taking away the vote of "emeritus" members, meaning people who are Academy members, but who haven't actively worked in the industry for something like 10 years. It'll basically skew the voting body to the younger, more relevant members who are less inclined towards the traditional Oscar picks.

• @cjmtherfcker yes, that too. Diversity means a lot of things though. I think the focus has been so far on the lack of African Americans who are allowed to vote to select the nominees, however, the group as a whole lacks diversity in age and gender as well. There is a reason in court rooms, defendants are allowed a jury of their peers. One group of one gender, one race, one anything is not a diverse group, and in order to see the full picture and allow differences of thought, ideas, art, and be unbiased as possible, diversity in all categories is basically needed.

• @BeeNee Yeah and I thin the so called boycotters did a poor job of expressing that which you just outlined. I don't know if it was them or the media that kinda just turned it into being about black actors, not women , Asians, latinos etc. all together. I would suspect the media as it seems they want the races at odds and do everything to play it up or turn things into something divisive instead of inclusive.

• he is a comedian

• You left off D: Chris Rock didn't take it too far and no one of any particular color has to be represented.

There were nothing wrong with his jokes.

Any particular race of people shouldn't automatically have representatives. It should come down to the actual best candidates, period. Regardless of what race they are.

If certain black people were snubbed, then make that case. Not this one. This argument just sounds bitter and ignorant.

• Where is the "He didn't take it too far, and it's not wrong that no African Americans were nominated" option?

• There were no "white slurs."

Chris Rock is a comedian, it's his duty to make these kinds of jokes, and for the most part they were funny.

I won't say is wrong that no black people were nominated. That implies that some of the nominees weren't deserving of their nominations. People should not be nominated just because they're black. The problem is not with the Oscars, it's with Hollywood and how they cast and produce films. It's *also* with the black community and the films they choose to watch. The Oscars are just industry awards, they reflect the state of the film business.

• Yes it was as stupid as everyone going on about it being racist! At the end of the day, if no black actors were good enough to be nominated, then why should some be put in just to make it look none racist. If they were all black and deserved to be there on performance then I would say well done! I wouldn't want a white actor from a shit movie to be nominated just for the sake of it.

• y'all had to know it was coming and if you didn't then shame on everyone. his entire shtick is on social and political issues. it's always been that way. the oscar's had to have known that. also comedy and the best comedians are made to make you feel uncomfortable.

• also, it's not that big of a deal cause award shows are just televised program of the good old boys blowing each other off and showing how much money they have. it's literally just rich people saying how good they are. not only that, the movies have never been that great. i mean usually, the ones that win, and the actors that typically win are movies that no one has even heard of or have little publicity. i haven't heard of half the movies that got nominated for best picture. and you're telling me they are better than movies like dope? puh leeze

• @CHARismatic110 i saw it the other day. it was really good.

• I agree that most of the movies nominated are movies that I never hear of. I say that all the time.

• Comedians have always been known to push certain boundaries, that's part of their jobs. I don't think he went too far but some people will see it differently.

• You can't be nominated just for being black though. You actually have to have been in a movie or worked on one in some respect and done a good enough job to be nominated

We're there any black people who did that great last year? I don't remember any.

• didn't watch it. There is a chart that shows that African americans won more Oscars than their percentage of the population, not sure if that is in the recnt last or all time though.. They are just whining as usual as a tantrum gets them more... Truly they are the entitled now.

Where is the outrage over his mocking Asians though... I guess that is allowed.

• He is a comedian. Of course he is going to milk dry the elephant in the room, plus, I would imagine he took it personally when he found out there were no black nominations.

I don't think it's "wrong" that there were no African-American people, just as I don't think it's "wrong" that there were no Asian-American people. I think it's logical, since the majority of the American population is white, and white people have more opportunities for better movies. Why isn't everyone boycotting the Oscars because of the lack of Asian minorities? Why is it all about black people?

Can't we all just be happy that Leo finally got an Oscar?

• "I am offended that no black people"

I'm sorry but this statement is ridiculous. Oscars don't go by race, they go by skill. You can't just be offended because no black person was nominated and they can't also just make sure that one black person gets there just so they don't get the race flag waving in front of them...

• What does that cotton pickin black think he is?
    Just hand Chris Rock over to the KKK.
    Theyy know how to treat them disrespectful slaves in the ole 'Murican way.
    [SARCASM=OFF]

• I didn't think he went far enough to be honest. Ricky Gervais was more controversial than him.

• Chris Rock was funny, but the whole Oscars being so white is stupid. Everyone nominated deserved their nomination. The best actors and actresses should be nominated regardless of skin color. No minority should be nominated just for the sake of diversity. That's nonsense.

• Didn't watch, don't care.

• I saw the whole show and yes big time he took it way to far the whole entire show. It upset me

• If you're not trolling, then you really take yourself too seriously. I suggest you get your priorities in order.

• Lol it's Chris rock I was expecting him to be irreverent. That's why they hired him I'm sure.

• Comedians are meant to be funny. Also reading into every small thing because a comedian said so is ridiculous. I didn't watch it, nor do i care.

• I mean I just thought it was distasteful when he joked about the Asian kids making people's phones in Asian sweatshops right in front of them... I mean if you're going to try to highlight your races issues then maybe don't make distasteful jokes about other races.

• I agree with A, B and C but I voted C.

• Too far? Not even close.

Was he annoying and dull? Yes, yes, yes.

• Simple question.

The USA has Hollywood.

India has Bollywood.

Europe has Cinema Europe.

People want to proclaim blacks should by rights have gotten awards for equality's sake...

Why doesn't Africa have a film industry?

• I think he should have talked about all minorities. It's true Hollywood is a white persons world, but what about other minorities? That being said, I think he did a good job not coming off as preachy.

• There needs to be option for he didn't go far enough!

• I'm wondering when this trend'll stop being hip and people'll bitch about something else.

• I mean he is a comedian. The controversy was the elephant in the room. Any comedian would have made jokes about it. White or Black

• He's a comedian
    Don't take it seriously !

• More from Guys
    30

What Girls Said 32

• Chris Rock has always been a racist. There is not one stand up routine where he doesn't bash white people.

That we are EVEN still talking in "black" and "white" is sad enough. Somehow the producers thought it would be a good idea to have a host who is known for racist jokes. It was to be expected how it went. Why not have Will Smith host it? That man is just as funny as Chris, but has some class and can make a joke without being a potty mothed racist.
    So many other talented artists who could have hosted this, and they picked this prick

• Well they are after all a minority... I would vote B if no black people had ever won oscars in the past at all. But there has been 32 oscars given to black people before. The African American population is 12.8% and black people are 13% of oscar winners in the last 20 years. Im sure that would be quite expected/fair would it not?

And if people start involving minorities just because "politically correct", then they wouldn't be picked by talent, rather by their colour instead.

• I cringed at first by some of the things he said, but I also thought they were funny, and I was glad to see a room full of liberals handling those jokes so well haha (no offensive to anyone). I think Chris Rock did a great job highlighting the issues, while also making light of the fact that nothing can be done at this point, so let's get on with the evening. After all, you don't want to offend the actors who WERE nominated. That was a huge night for them, too.

• Sure Beat Steve Harvey That Night with "No card in hand,"Nor Probably Reading ANY Cue Card. lol @vmw2008 :)) xx

• I think there definitely were African American actors or movies featuring black people have could have been nominated but Chris did the lack of nominees no justice. I mean a few of his lines were laughable and could make a person truly think, but he honestly seemed to be making fun of the entire thing. His jokes and Stacey Dash making an appearance were honestly lame. Everyone just wanted to see if Leo would win. I think most of his talking was a waste of time. Kevin Hart was really genuine though; he simply said that any non white people should not let their worth be determined by whether or not they get an award. But at the end of the day, Chris Rock is a comedian and satire is his thing, so it's whatever. I'm not much interested in the Oscars anyway tbh. It's whatever.

• I loved his speech overall. It dealt with issues on both sides of the #sowhiteoscars because in reality there are bigger and more important issues going on. This is not the first time black peoole haven't been nominated, and may not be the last. The timing (jadas choice of timing) is ridiculous. There's people fighting for real justice against police brutality, side by side people complaining about the oscars (which nobody should really care about as much as they do)
    I do think that brining Stacey dash was an absolute fail, she didn't even realise the joke was on herself #sigh

• "A" for Absolutely here, dear, However... Par for the "Of Course" for Chris Rock in Rolling with the Current Times and Not Pulling any Punches.
    I actually Laughed because I Have always Found him to be One of the Funniest Guys on Stage with never Any... Rage, Racial wise.
    Keeping bread on the table and Making a Living is Hard right Now... He has managed to do Both with his Good Humor and I don't Feel he does Anyone any Harm.
    Good luck and Beautifully done. xx

• That's like his thing. Have you ever heard his stand up? It's hilarious. Sometimes takes it pretty far and it's a little awkward but overall he's funny.

I'm pretty sure the academy and maybe even abc work on the script for the entire night way beforehand so it's not like anything he said wasn't ok with the producers.

I think he just did it because they all knew people were butthurt about the lack of African American nominees. But they made it evident throughout the whole night that African Americans have absolutely won oscars before, there just happen to not be any this year I guess. I don't know how nominations work so I'm not sure how that happened but I really don't think they were excluded on purpose.

• Chris Rock is a comedian, he did a much better job than Gervais did several years ago. That was taking it too far. Chris Rock made light of a serious issue and I thought his jokes were funny, especially the one about Jada. That one was scandalous and hilarious.

• You have no right to complain because the freaking head of the academy is black. There are bigger issues going on in the world people. Like child marriage, which is basically legalized pedophilia is going on yet people choose to complain about this. If black have never been nominated in the history of ever this would be different. On a happier note, I am happy Leonardo Dicaprio got his Oscar and I can't wait to see him in Devil in the White City. I hope he does one of my favorite books justice.

• I'm not sure how to vote in your poll because I don't really think it's wrong that no African Americans were nominated (unless you know of someone who was actually snubbed?) but I also don't think he took it too far. His monologue was funny but that's all I watched of the oscars. Thry are lame so... c I guess.

• Most of the jokes were harmless and funny, but bringing those little Asian kids on stage to make them the butt of his joke was just an asshole move it was cringeworthy to watch. The least he could have done was use adults instead of children..

• Yeah that was just awkward.

• @Bandit74 Yeah like having the little girl scouts come and sell cookies was funny and adorable but he didn't have to humiliate those other kids!

• I didn't answer the poll because it didn't fit the initial question. So to answer all your points- No, he didn't make " too many racial slurs". A) I don't think he took it too far. B) I don't think it's wrong or right because I didn't see enough of the films starring black actors and C) I did watch, do care and would like to see more equality in Hollywood.

• What slurs?
    I think his criticism, in the form of jokes, was highly appropriate and the people who chose the nominees should gtfo.

• They pick whoever they want anyone so I don't really pay much mind to the oscars-it SHOULD be about whoever demonstrated the most talent and hardwork in what they did, and just because they didn't pick a person from each race to be "diverse" doesn't mean people are racist-its should be about the performance and talent of the individual and not what race they are.

• It's Chris Rock. They knew exactly what they were in for when they hired him to host. I didn't watch, but I know how he is. Based off what you said, I don't think he took it too far. He was how he always is. Crass and blunt.

• "I’m here at the Academy Awards, otherwise known as the White People’s Choice Awards."

He has a point.
    Its' technically what it is. There are many talented actors from every race not just whites or blacks. For just whites to get nominated is a big slap in the face to others.

• who nominates anyone anyways?

• If it was just a one year thing then he'd be overreacting but it happens pretty much every year. People of color get nominated only once in a usually long while and thats simply not enough.
      I'm not sure if there were any actors that snubbed this year (idk tbh because I don't normally follow this stuff) but I think this year was a last straw for them.

• So which non-white people should have been nominated for awards this year, which white person's place should they have taken, and why?

• A lot of Chris Rock's humor always depends on race, so that was fine. But I don't think the Academy is racist, it's the same people who gave Best Picture to "12 Years A Slave" two years ago. They should just evaluate the films on their own merits, without instead of worrying about getting people of every race nominated every year. I mean Spike Lee, who boycotted the ceremony, got an award just last year.

• Yes, I think Chris Rock took it too far haha! I don't care really lol

• Chris rock always takes it too far. He is obnoxious and his voice makes it worse. This has been going on for years. He has been tolerated because he is black. In actuality he is a low class African-American. He thought he was going to be the next Eddie Murphy.. Because he comes across as obnoxious and overbearing in contrast stark contrast to Eddie Murphy, he is only accepted by the white community because they do not wish to look prejudice.

• I thought he was hilarious.

http://i.imgur.com/Gj6Mn.gif

• Nah it's cool. Chris Rock is white people's favorite black person. 😛

• he was soooooo mellow. have you ever seen Gervais host? lol. i can't even WATCH that. it's so painful. chris rock was funny and made some good points.

• yes he was annoying.
    a) this year no blacks were nominated, but almost no other people of color were either - and he doesn't really mention that.
    b) If they weren't nominated because of their skin color yes thats a problem, if they weren't nominated simply because they weren't good enough actors then no it's not. It should be based on merit alone.

• I think there's something to be said about no black people being nominated, but I also think chris rock took it too far

• No I don't think he took it too far. No I don't care that no blacks were nominated. No, I don't think it was intentional. Yes, i do think people get offended over stupid trvial things.

• oh please , why black people always bring everythings to racism , you do have opportunities , there was any arabe in the oscar? how many asian? and disabled?
    if an actor deserve to be reward i don't care if he's white or not.

• I saw the part when he said, "I’m here at the Academy Awards, otherwise known as the White People’s Choice Awards."
    I was like, "umm, that doesn't sound right?" Anyway, we forgive him, lol.
    Chris Rock is a funny guy, he did a good job regardless.

• My dad is white and he loved it. It was hilarious lol people are too sensitive😛

• I don't care. Why are actors getting awards for doing their damn job?

• Slave

• More from Girls
    2