Anyone else seen Caligula?

I had never seen it until today and I can't believe the stuff they have in this flick... some of it really shocking... some of it should not be on Youtube, but it is... if you've seen it, your thougths, opinions?

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes.
    Well... that was barely the only movie in that time that had stuff like that. You could get away with a lot more back then.
    Not my cup of tea, though.

• I did a bit of research into why the hell a movie like that would be made and found out it was the only Penthouse movie that went mainstream and there was a bit of controversy over the content and what the director wanted included...
      I didn't like it

• Thank you for the MHO! =)

• It's a pleasure

Most Helpful Guy

• Yeah I think there was a time when art films of the 1970s and 1980s were big on freedom of expression and went for the shock value - I don't think I have seen full movie but have seen clips from it and heard a lot about it - I always have my doubts about movies who use controversy or extreme action to sell the film - If a film cannot stand on the merits of the story and relies on the stage smoke of erotica that raises a red flag for me.

• Yeah the conflicting interests of the producer and director didn't help

What Girls Said 2

• I'm an ancient history student, so of course, my studies eventually have led to me watching it. It's a pretty horrible film, I think watching it just the once was enough :P

• Yep, I would have to agree with that... never seeing that again

• Never even heard of it yet alone seen it.

What Guys Said 1

• Yeah, saw it few years ago. Kind of surprising the names that were involved - Malcolm McDowell, Peter O'Toole, John Gielgud, Helen Mirren. It is pretty intense - rape, gay sex, fisting, infanticide, castration. Just like the old days.