Whats better? Writing a screenplay for a movie or writing a novel?

I love writing, I have never written a full novel and I've never written a screenplay. Im wondering what is better. I have so many story ideas in my mind but I'm extremly bad at being descriptive. In the begining I describe things well when writing a story, and then I just burn out because I end up usuing the same words to descrribe things, and it ends up being annoying and repetative. I just want to get my story across as quickly as possible and for people to enjoy.

Most Helpful Guy

• I'd recommend reading more. You can find new words to use and borrow certain aspects and styles from your favorite writers.

I'd say novels are more difficult to write because you do need to write more about the setting and the inner thoughts. Screenplays are basically a guide for the film that they're being written for. They can be descriptive, but a lot of what gets written may well not get put onto the screen. So most times in a script the description is generally just the setting and time they take place in.

Both are great for different reasons.

What Guys Said 1

• I enjoy writing too, and writing a novel is sort of a bucket list thing for me. Here's the deal though, novelists aren't really what they used to be. Heck, so many novels become movies, that many novelists probably feel like they are writing a screenplay anyways. If I were you, I'd do this, ask yourself if you truly have a story. If the answer is yes, ask yourself if it's a story better to be read, or better to be seen. With regard to burn out, I think you might be focusing too much on the little stuff. Forget about the descriptive writing for a while. Just jot down high level plot, in sequence, what's is happening? To who? Who are the characters? Where are they? Once you have a big outline of the basics, start drilling down into each sequence. I don't even think it's important to go in order, but you'll feel like you are writing chapters, and it will come together. Try not to think of it as a novel. Just write 20 pages that has a beginning, middle, and end. Then get into the details to expand, and piece them together.

What Girls Said 1

• I'd say, whatever grabs your interest more and makes you sound like a stronger writer is what is best for you. No one ever said you have to write a full length novel or screenplay, but try starting out with short stories or screenplays. If you're interested in getting published, Writers Market, the book, is a great resource for publications and competitions. They come out with an updated edition each year.