Will my car battery die?

I am going camping tonight with my boyfriend and we plan to sleep in our cars, if I were to leave the hatch open (it is an suv) and turn off the lights and sensors for when the lights open when the doors are, will my battery die?

I drive a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe and the hatch wouldn't be open all night, just for about 5-6 hours while we watch and cuddle by the fire.

Most Helpful Guy

• Depending on the age of the battery and condition of the alternator, it may nor may not. Too many variables to know for sure. The best thing to do it you are going to leave a door/hatch open is to find which fuses control the light and sensors then pull them temporarily while you have it open all night. I say that because you can never really be certain with today's cars that you've truly killed everything.

Most Helpful Girl

• No you'll be fine.

What Guys Said 8

• You should be fine simply turning the lights off, or pulling the fuses if he knows what he's doing. Never simply disconnect the battery on a modern car though, you can sometimes end up 'bricking' them.

• Just having the door open won't drain the battery, assuming you can disconnect all the open door lights.

• If all lights are off it will survive.

• If you leave your car door open then yeah probably.

• maybe

• No it should not.

• Implying you can't just open the trunk and then take out the key, thus killing the power.

• As long as you turn the lights off you'll be good.

What Girls Said 2

• Cars plural? Bring jumper cables just in case.

• Watch what?