Who plays violent video games?

I am doing a paper for my Sociology class. I am trying to determine why there is a gender gap in the playing of violent video games such as the Battlefield series, Call of Duty series, and Grand Theft Auto series.

Most Helpful Guy

• There has been mountains of university-level research on these kinds of topics. There should be papers all over the net about them. And reports from industry analysis presentations from GDC and things like that as well.

vgresearcher.wordpress.com/.../ this one in particular outlines a lot of it.

"The interpretation is that men play violent videogames more frequently than women as they anticipate more enjoyment and less guilt from playing Bad Company 2 (see blue lines). Indirect paths from gender to the anticipated emotions are also significant factors for violent videogame play (see green lines). Men are less empathetic which in turn led to less anticipated guilt. Men are more likely to morally justify violence which in turn led to greater anticipated enjoyment. When it comes to gratifications in game play (see red lines), men are more gratified with the need for aggression and thrills, but the need for aggression is a significant factor in one’s anticipated enjoyment which in turn led to violent videogame use."

It's kind of a solved problem.

comm.stanford.edu/.../nicholas-maisonave-1112.pdf has some interesting stuff on cultivation.

www.psychologytoday.com/.../examining-the-performance-gender-link-in-video-games has an interesting point about the reproductive benefit to competition being different between genders, which leads to different expressions of competitive behaviour.

usabilitynews.org/.../ looks at gender preferences amongst gamers

https://www.msu.edu/~jsherry/Site/Orientations.pdf has some gender and age analysis.

There is nothing particularly 'magical' about video games. The people that play violent video games are generally the same type of people that enjoy violent movies, or that play violent sports.

As an aside, I both play and make video games, and my playing preferences include a wide variety of genres. Grand Theft Auto falls into that, so I definitely do play some violent games, though not exclusively.

Most Helpful Girl

• I do, if GTA and skyrim count as really violent :P

• Whats the most violent thing you did in gta? :p

• @Toad-1 Okay whats the most awful thing you have ever seen discussed or tried.
      Yesterday
      I was DMing a pathfinder game,
      homebrewed seting basically fantasy 1890s earth and they were in fantasy louisiana and a character rolled a nat 20 on perception so he saw two sasquatches having sex in a tree.
      Now in pathfinder sasquatchs are sentient creatures and are not evil.
      So they are basically just big hairy forest people.
      the player attempts to murder the sasquatch by a called shot to the groin.
      he rolled a nat one though.

• @Waffles731 i can't really recall at this time the most violent thing, but i do remember tying up and bounding someone (i think it was a goblin, not sure) we were chasing in the game and torturing them to get answers... and by torturing, we dismembered it. starting with fingers... then hands... lol yeah so

What Guys Said 28

• I would expect most guys are more okay with violence in video games and play them, especially if they can play in teams and work together cooperatively to defeat the enemy. It happens a lot in First Person Shooters like Call of Duty, or various MMORPGs or Strategy games. Other than that you also have those gamers that are interested in those 1 on 1 fighting games like Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat.

I haven't played too many recent video games, but I did like Mortal Kombat X since it had a variety of guest characters that grabbed my attention, in particularly to the Predator and Alien, and then there was also Jason Voorhees which they added in the first DLC package.

• There is a gender gap in the playing of all video games. There were studies that said women play more than men but that's only if you include mobile games. If you look at games that are more "hardcore" (I think that's a stupid term but whatever) women are only 10-20 % It doesn't matter if it's League of Legends, or CS:GO. Anyway any game where you have to sit down ata a console or a pc, women do less. So if you wanna be accurate you have to see if there's a difference between how many women play GTA and a non violent console game otherwise your results are no going to mean anything.

• i play grand theft auto. that's about it in terms of games with violence in them

• Count me in!

GTA
    Gears Of War
    Assassins Creed
    Metal Gear
    Mass Effect and so on...

• First thing I think you need to do is separate the different kinds of violence.

Miltary games, like Call of Duty, Battlefield or the one I play, Arma III, violence has a point, you're a soldier fighting other soldiers with a legitimate purpose.

Games like, GTA, is just gratuitous violence... violence for the sake of mayhem or criminal activity.

• GTA also really sucks
      everything it does is done better elsewhere
      And the combat is just awful

• @Waffles731 Yeah I wasn't really passing judgment on the quality of the combat. That is irrelevant. I'm talking about the character's motivation.

• Have you played Sleeping dogs
      It proves that pretty much everything can be improved by awesome Kung-Fu fights
      Including open world sandbox games.

• -Fallout
    -Skyrim
    -GTA
    That is all.
    Used to play shooters, but I soon realised that every single person on this earth is a much quicker player than I am.
    Oh, I also used to play Assassins Creed with a passion, until the franchise started to suck.
    Dunno if this is at all helpful. Inquire further if you wish.

• Oh, in case if you didn't know.. Fallout constitutes as especially violent considering that there are exploding heads.. and exploding.. people.

• GTA Vice City was fun, but GTA V bored me to death.

Unreal Tournament was fun, but I really suck at twitch aiming so I don't like playing CoD or boyfriend or CS:GO.

My mechanical skills just aren't good enough for competitive shooters.

• Sometimes I play Madden NFL and my defense is violent😎 that's about it

• I do.

• Those type of games just doesn't appeal to me. I usually just stick to sports games.

However, if I had to choose something close to that then it would probably be Silent Hill or Until Dawn.

• i think the disparity is more so in regards to girls who play FPS shooters. although there's still a good amount, i think the competitive nature which comes from an FPS is what girls off initially from playing them.

• I play TF2 and CSGO.
    I think it's how parents raised their children based on their gender really for why there's a gender gap in video games.

• I do. I primarily play fighting games, which, with a couple exceptions, tend not to be over-the-top in blood and gore; however, I do play FPS games like Battlefield or Killzone from time to time.

• I do. I've been playing violent video games since I was young and yes, there's a huge gender gap in gaming..

• *raises hand*

Love my Mortal Kombat X! (Tanya is bae)

• I've become more interested in it when I heard they were going to put Predator and Alien in it, and then I laughed at the idea of Jason Voorhees and Leatherface being additional guests.

Also I'm more interested in some of the newer characters, in particular to Erron Black. His Outlaw variation is the best.

• I have been ever since i was 8.

• But to answer your question, there is no age cap.
      Both kids and adults can enjoy them equally. The kind of games they tend to play is the more interesting part. There is a different between the types of shooters 13 year olds play vs the types that 45 year olds play.

• I love violent video games

• You call those kiddy games violent? Try Postal, Manhunt, Hatred.

• I play Madden lol

• I like fighting games. And if you count fantasy and horror games as violent, those too

• I do
    Lots of video games are violent these days
    But that gears of war.. brutal.. chainsaw people in half... yup

• Those and more for sure. I do.

• Yeah I do

• I do

• Me
    Makes up most of what I play

• I play halo and call of duty.

• You should make a poll then. I play violent videogames but I play many others as well.

• Yeah you name a violent video game I have probabaly played it :)

so what you need?

What Girls Said 7

• Asking a question with a poll would give you better results for this. You'd get more quantitative evidence, at least. But yeah, I play violent video games :)

• I don't play any video games. My boyfriend plays Call of Duty, but he also plays a lot of Madden. I feel like more guys play violent video games because guys play more video games in general. There are gamer girls, but they're not as common as gamer guys

• What do you define as "violent"
    I'm currently playing Wolfenstein: NO
    Not sure if that game would constitute as violent. I don't know

• Sure I do. Things like Assassins Creed, the witcher etc. Games with a storyline. I often don't really like shooting games though.

• What about shooters with a storyline
      like the latest wolfenstein

• @Waffles731 haven't played them much, but I liked Bioshock and The last of Us so it's not really about the shooting. Just that shooters have more often no storyline.

• I used to play grand theft auto

• I do.. I like them a lot

• GTA, Battlefields ^^