What's your favorite quote and why?

What's your favorite quote and why?

Don't laugh at me, but I really love quotas. I spend most of my time, reading them. There is something about them that attract me to them, specially when you find perfect quote, which describes exactly what you're feeling or going through

Most Helpful Guy

• You should be grateful for what you've got
    Even though you might not have a lot.

Most Helpful Girl

• I have a lot, and I think of them almost daily.

‌• "My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations."
    ‌• "We accept the love we think we deserve."
    ‌• "But he who dares not grasp the thorn should never crave the rose."
    ‌• "I am one of billions. I am stardust gathered fleetingly into form. I will be ungathered. The stardust will go on to be other things someday and I will be free."
    ‌• "Where you go, I shall go; where you die, I shall die, and there will I be buried."
    ‌• "Maybe love was superstition, a prayer we said to keep the truth of loneliness at bay."
    ‌• "You endure what is unbearable, and you bear it. That is all."

What Guys Said 16

• If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up. - Hunter S. Thompson

The only difference between the Sane and the Insane, is IN and yet within this world, the Sane have the power to have the Insane locked up. - Hunter S. Thompson

I like those quotes because they give perspective on what is defined as right and wrong, what is accepted and shamed. I wouldn't say they are my favorite though.

I'm a big Charlie Kaufman fan. Pretty much everything he writes seems like he is describing what I'm feeling or who I am. I'll put a line from one of his movies. It may not be in the confines of a quote in the way you were asking for though.

Millicent Weems: What was once before you - an exciting, mysterious future - is now behind you. Lived; understood; disappointing. You realize you are not special. You have struggled into existence, and are now slipping silently out of it. This is everyone's experience. Every single one. The specifics hardly matter. Everyone's everyone. So you are Adele, Hazel, Claire, Olive. You are Ellen. All her meager sadnesses are yours; all her loneliness; the gray, straw-like hair; her red raw hands. It's yours. It is time for you to understand this.
    Millicent Weems: Walk.
    Millicent Weems: As the people who adore you stop adoring you; as they die; as they move on; as you shed them; as you shed your beauty; your youth; as the world forgets you; as you recognize your transience; as you begin to lose your characteristics one by one; as you learn there is no-one watching you, and there never was, you think only about driving - not coming from any place; not arriving any place. Just driving, counting off time. Now you are here, at 7:43. Now you are here, at 7:44. Now you are...
    Millicent Weems: Gone.

• Quotes are awesome, they sum up a complex thought into a sentence. I don't have one quote (how could I choose only one) so a list:
    "You have learned something, which at first always feels like you have lost something" -George Bernard shaw (though I have seen it attributed to HG wells)
    "I've never let school get in the way of my education." -Mark twain
    "He who looks for faultless friends remains friendless."-chinese proverb
    "He who fires the arrow of truth must have one foot in the stirrup."-Turkish proverb
    "You can run from whats behind you but not whats inside of you."-rowandin proverb
    "The most erroneous stories are the ones we think we know best - and therefore never scrutinize or question."-Stephen Jay Gould
    "All the darkness of the world cannot overcome the light from a single candle."-St. Francis of assisi
    "the mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be ignited."-Plutarch
    "A river does not cut through rock because of its power, but its persistence."
    "The greatest teacher is failure."
    "Do not fear death for when you are it is not, when it is you are not."-Epicurise
    "It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live."-Marcus Aurelius (philospher, warrior and king of rome)
    "Better to fight and fall then to live without hope."-Volsunga saga
    "He who lives without dicipline dies without honor"-icelandic proverb
    "Its better to stand and fight, if you run you will only die tired."
    "Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one."-Bruce Lee
    I'm sure I could come up with more but I think thats a long enough list :D
    Enjoy!

• I only listen to my gut
    so unless you're my fucking belly button
    don't tell me nothin

That's my favorite quote I've heard recently :P It's from a Eminem verse.

• I kind of like the one that goes " dont start none and their won't be none " .

• "Hell is a truth learnt too late"

You only realize your mistakes once its happened. By then its too late. Mine is with women for example. I never did much in my 20's and it haunts me. Now I am like this obsessed 33 yr old who will never settle, am poly and don't play by any relationship rules.

• Not sure if it's my favorite but one that comes to mind often. "Life is what happens when you're busy making plans" It's so true.

• Never waste a good crash.
    Because it's so true: we all make mistakes and shouldn't kill each other for them.
    But we should learn a lot from our mistakes :D

• Shipmaster: "These are my Elites, their lives matter to me. Your's does not"
    Arbiter: "That's makes two of us"
    https://youtu.be/PRBGSsHQeAo

• That impossible anger strangling the grief, until the memory of your loved ones is just poison in your veins. And one day you catch yourself wishing the person you loved had never existed, so you'd be spared your pain. a feeling i understand too well.

• "Wherever you go, there you are" - Buckaroo Bonzai
    It's so poignant in its simplicity!

• "Don't diversify."

Has yet to fail me.

• " What people think about you is none of your damn business."

• My favorite is Where there is a will, there is a way & Do or Die.

• once a whore always a whore

• Do, or do not. There is no try.
    Yoda

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 9

• I dont have a favorite but i just so happened to be reading some latin proverbs today. So here's some:

The cautious wolf fears the trap

The face is the index of the soul

A poet is born not made

A friend is another self

Art is long, life is short

A single light is sufficient in darkness

• "The truth is, I've never fooled anyone. I've let men sometimes fool themselves."
    -- Marilyn Monroe

So on the mark. There's no point in being a try-hard... just learn to read people, and let THEM do all the "trying hard".
    lol

• Sometimes the best apples is hard to reach!

• I love quotes i have so many but i love this one

"It is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else's life with perfection."

• Probably...
    "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Because it's fucking awesome and true

• "You may complain that a rosebush has thorns, or rejoice that a thorn bush has roses. Happiness is ones state of mind and thus entirely your choice and yours alone."

-Abraham Lincoln

• Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light

• "I'm quite illiterate, but I read a lot."

Holden Caulfield.

• Here are a few of my fave quotes;

“For every minute you are angry you lose sixty seconds of happiness.”
    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    ― Mark Twain

“Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.”
    ― Oscar Wilde