Is PC gaming actually better than console gaming?

Is it worth the cost and effort to build or buy a good gaming pc. High quality PS4 games just seems to require a large amount of pc power just to run on full capacity when on ps4 it just works. It seems like you have to constantly upgrade. Using a keyboard and mouse feels odd compared to a controller. Games are filled with hackers. A ps4 will always work, a pc though will start to slow down, maybe catch viruses you know the usual.

So what do you guys and girls think
PC gaming or console gaming

• PC gaming
  • Console Gaming

Most Helpful Guy

• Pc gaming all of the way and no matter how you want to cut it, it's still an overpowered PC at the end of the day that you can do everything at once on like gaming while watching a youtube video, burning a cd, checking email, apps etc.

Now Ofc at face value you'll pay more for the "PC" which is around 700-900$ total. But hell the mouse and keyboard will be used for years and the games can be bought for cheap via ebay and shit.

• So you're saying for about 1000 dollars you can get a pc build that will play better than a console or the same? Is that 1000 dollar for the tower only? Yea I heard about the crazy cheap games.

• Daam look at them vehicle kills. I sucked at using vehicles and planes.

• @iFarted On BF3, I could use any vehicle but the #BangBus aka the support heli/transport cars to a 7 KDR min.

On Ground with no revives, I was about a 5KDR player (solo) and with Revives 7 KDR (with friends). But on BF4 I play solo and running infantry on maps like Siege Of Shanghai is kinda POINTLESS/stupid/a big NO-NO.

Since you'll run into squads of 5 all packing AEKs and crap. While I'm usually packing a single PKP, DMR, or Carbine that can't match their rate of fire nor neutralize them all in 1 live on average, right? So that isn't the smartest choice of action, right? Esp for a "proven" vehicle whore as they'd call it that can control the game via capping flags, killing about 10 people on average before he dies while also "annoying" enemy armor.

Now if I had 4 friends that I knew were good, I'd run infantry more often like on BF3. But not currently www.youtube.com/watch (proof I can use a gun HAHAHAH)

What Girls Said 5

• PC anyday. It would cost a lot if you wanna play every game at ultra settings, but you can get a PC that can play games with current gen console graphics at 60fps for $300 or something.

What are the other advantages of having a console? Better controller? Bigger screen? You can do all of them with a PC. It even lets you choose your controller and display, which is always a plus.

• PC gaming is better for when your trying to use emulators/free games and online games.

Console games are better when your wanting to enjoy a game and getting the whole console experience.

• gawsh dont make me choose they borh have their uppers but one thing i can say i can't play FPS games on pc because they give me headaches but thats my only complaint

• that depends on the game being played and if it was a group game

• Nah, I prefer console gaming

What Guys Said 14

• Constantly upgrade? I don't see how it's any different from having to buy a PS -> PS2 -> PS3 -> PS4 every 5-6 years, or switch from NDS to 3DS to 3DS XL with the analog stick thingy.

K&M is good for some games, I prefer it with other games as well except for fighting games; but you can always just plug in an XBOX360 Controller into the USB and ta-dah. It's compatible.

Not all games have a lot of hackers, although it's true that the free ones with crappy protection do. I haven't really met hackers like that in a while though.

A PC with an SSD will never be as slow as a console by default.

PC all the way. It helps if you have a friend who knows how to build computers though and is willing to help out for some beer or something.

• You can easily get a solid Intel i5 with some fancy radeon graphics card and all the other stuff and have a pc that can not only play games but also do anything else you want. Make sure you install the OS on an SSD for the true PC experience.

• Now for me personally, I've yet to have any of those PROBLEMS AT ALL on my hardware. It's been smooth sailing and no crashes on my part unless the DE team put out a bad patch that started crashing everyone all at once. But maybe that's because I've only used "Intel/Radeon combo" which are battle tested ^_^.

I've brought 2 "like" new GPUS and I haven't had a problem yet. Heck I saved 70$ on 1 card and about 40$ on the other 1 that way. So if you can just get 1 used in a like new condition.

www.ebay.com/.../322068799925 prime example LOL

• "I didn't put any of the other stuff, though this build costs around 600 dollars tax and shipping in. "

hell my computer will be better than that (once my I5 comes in), but about 200$ less. Since the mobo was 50$, OS 42$ (from amazon) G3260 CPU 42$, $23 power supply, HDD 1 8$ (250gb), HDD 2 3$ (500 GB off of ebay), case 48$, 8gb of ram 44$, 5 led fans for 30$, 28inch monitor 3$ (from good will) costing 378$ total.

Now is it outdated by today's standards, yeah, can it still play games? damn right.

And with this I5 coming in, all I'll have to do is upgrade my GPU for a game that I'd want to play in the future.

I can show you my computer if you want?

• It's not better, just different. I say that as a PC gamer too.

At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is the game you want to play.

You want to play MMOs, MOBAs, RTS, or Blizzard games? Then get a PC. You want to play a high speed FPS competitively? Get a PC and learn to use a mouse. You want to play the old classics? PC is what you want. Want to mod your games? PC is for you.

You want Nintendo franchises? You're not getting that on PC. You want Playstation exclusives? Not happening on PC unless you want to wait a year when they sometimes release GOTY editions on Steam, but that's not guaranteed.

You want to play the big AAA action titles? Most likely they're developed for console and often get bad ports.

The cheaper games thing is a bit of a lie too. Used to be new games were about 10 bucks cheaper than console versions, but that's no longer the case. Steam does run sales, but the insane discounts aren't for new releases, it's for bundles of games that are a few years old. You can save 5 or 10 bucks on new games sometimes, but those same deals tend to be offered on console now as well.

And if you want to play new games at comparable performance levels, you're going to pay a premium on PC. Consoles are optimized to do one thing: run one game well. PCs are optimized for multitasking, so getting equivalent performance requires more raw resources, which means more money. If console-grade performance is fine with you, just get a console and save yourself a few hundred bucks. If you want insane graphics, get a PC.

So ask yourself what you want to play first, and then pick the platform that supports that choice the best.

• i will just tackle your arguments:

Games that come out on ps4 first do often get crappy PC ports, that´s why those games seem to not be any better on pc (even though you do get better framerates)

using keyboard and mouse is optional. you can use your controler on pc or keyboard and mouse on console. that´s no propper argument.

games are full of hackers everywhere. even on consoles. if you use games with proper servers and proper software on pc then it won´t happen too often.

A pc will not slow down. you use a console ONLY to play a game. but on a pc you work and browse the web. a platform that can do a lot of things will allways be more prone to errors than a platform that can only do one thing. if you had a pc, just installed your games onto it and never did anything else with it, it would never slow down. besides. if you´re dumb and download some shit (like i do sometimes too i´m not condescending here) then just freshly install windows and everything is fine.

a pc is allways better as a contemporary console. from a technical standpoing though it will need more maintenance than a console if you are not able to or just not interested in maintaining it, then don´t buy a pc.

also one could say "playstation is cheaper"... so you pay 500 bucks or so for your playstation but guess what next year comes the next playstation and it will cost 500 bucks again so you are at 1000 bucks. lets say you payed 1000 bucks for a pc then you won´t need to replace it within like 5 years and then just buy a new graphics card for like 200 bucks while you have bought like 2-3 generations of consoles setting you back 1500 bucks. now those numbers are not exact but all i´m saying is that you don´t safe a lot buying a console.

in conclusion: a PC is always better UNLESS you are to lazy to maintain it or too lazy to care for ordering the best hardware for your money. OR if you specifically like the exclusive games of your console. in all other cases PC is superior.

• PC Gaming is usually hella expensive and a pain in the ass to get working (messing with. ini files for games, crashes, etc.) but I would say PC's are the best for gaming.

It's only really worth it if your computer is capable of running today's games at 60FPS+ on a respectable quality, but it's great to see it in action.

Mods are another plus for PC Games, as well as some PC exclusive games.

If a mouse and keyboard doesn't suit you, you can easily get Xbox or PS4 controllers which can be connected to your computer and it'll still feel like console gaming, despite better performance all round.

I used to be a console gamer, but PC Gaming is my preference. I will admire though how console gamers can just jump straight into the action and not have to fix issues like corrupt files or render crashes. Just be prepared to spend a pretty penny if you want to be able to play the latest games with little issue.

• There's nothing wrong with console gaming.
    You boot it up , you play games , end of story.
    Simple. Cheap. Efficient.

I am a PC gamer myself but the entire PC master race thing has become more of a "we vs them" tribal bumfuckery than anything.

Both have pros and cons.

• Its crazy because the specs it requires to play the Witcher 3 makes a pc build so much more expensive than simply having a ps4 and the Witcher 3 runs perfect on it.

I'm not seeing the appeal. Have any insight here?

• It's kinda like the "just because I can" argument of things.
      Who needs 700hp in a car?
      MURICA.

• Well I don't know man. I am PC gamer and always have been..

I have a beast PC..

Intel i7 6th geb
    32 GB RAM
    Nvida gtx titan x 12 GB GDDR5

I CAN RUN games on my 50' TV at 4K resolution with 100 + fps on ULTRA settings... For almost all games...

So I don't know about ps4 cause after all it also has a graphic card and all...

Though the thing is I had to spend above 100000 INR to build such a gaming PC... :-D

• I do see the merits of pc gaming, but my heart lies with consoles. I always just liked sitting back with a controller and enjoying a game like that.

• can't ya just plug a controller into it? I did it on dead space 3 and need for speed LOL

• @Mesonfielde Well i would but theyre in separate rooms lol

• Yeah, and that's what the Steam Link would try to fix but unfortunately it's an unstable mess :p

You'd need a really long HDMI cable then, lol.

• well, i enjoy both personally. It's far less hassle playing on the console, but you can buy your games much cheaper online via steam sales. And you don't really need a very expensive PC these days to play the newer games. So i guess if i add everything up, id give it to the pc

• I'm a pc gamer. It won't catch virus unless you download pirated stuff. Pc games have higher graphics and higher performance compared to ps4 or Xbox one

• both has their advantages and disadvantages

• I don't think so

• With things like Steam Sales, PC games are significantly cheaper than console games

• oh yeah way better more options :)

• Yes if and only if your willing to spend 3000 to 5000 bucks

• 3000 - 5000 are you serious?

But that's also what I mean, what's the point? why would we need to spend that much when a ps4 is simply amazing for a few hundred bucks

• he's buying a PC, not a MAC PRO lol

• Realistically, if you want the best price for performance (a computer that can run today's games, 60FPS+, 1080p), you would only really be talking about £1000 (whatever it is in $). My PC is VR ready and cost me just under a grand.