Can someone explain the origin of Venus and Aphrodite, the ancient goddesses?

Because when I Google it is saying that Venus was deprived from Aphrodite. Another website said they were the same person, so I'm confused. Who was the first one? I am trying to do a research paper but. I don't know whether to do Aphrodite or Venus any input would be helpful.

Most Helpful Guy

• (This is probably the only time I'll mention you on one of my answers @Afro-dite9 )

Anyway these greek guys were all made up. Just say they came from someone's head and then you'll get points for your honesty

Also mention pantheon. . . I think that's Greek. Do that and spartans

33.media.tumblr.com/.../...02zJfR1sxcftfo1_400.gif

Also Thor is probably Zeus's cousin or something, you might want to ask @Twolips about this, he knows more then me

• "these greek guys were all made up"... in their own time the greek gods were all venered, prayed to and feared. It took centuries for us to stop believing in them and stop calling it the greek religion and start calling it the Greek Mythology... how long until we call the Christian / Jewish / Muslim religion the Christian / Jewish / Muslim Mythology?

• Lmfao ur adorable☺☺☺

• @Afro-dite9 Let me select something from my GIF dump. . .

i0.kym-cdn.com/.../7e2.gif

Yeah we'll go with this

DooMguy gets all the women

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 10

• Romans were Greek settlers in Italy , who brought their religion with them. In contact with Etrusks ao local people they started speaking Latin and changed the names of their Greek gods to Latin names. Of course, some legends stayed in Greece, others were added.
    That's all there is to it.
    Aphrodite is/was the Greek name of Venus.

• Rome was settled after the Greek city states were already flourishing. When Rome started going around conquering places, one of their first conquests were Greek cities. Aphrodite was already generally worshipped by the Greeks, and the Romans had a habit of adopting God's from conquered peoples. The Romans adopted most of the Greek gods but renamed them. Aphrodite became Venus, Aries became Mars, Zeus became Jupiter, and so on.

• The only shit I know about Greek or roman mythology is from playing "Age of mythology" game.. All I can sat is, Aphrodite was a hot goddess.

Zeus is the lightning guy
    Poseidon is water guy
    Hades is the hell guy
    Loki is a pussy bitch
    Thor is hammer guy
    Odin is father of pussy bitch and hammer guy
    Ra is Egyptian god
    Isis is daughter of ra
    Set is evil Egyptian god.
    Kronos was a monsta
    Oranos was teleportation guy
    Gaia was hot nature girl.

• Aphrodite is the Greek goddess of love. Venus is a Roman copy. The Romans copied the entire pantheon of gods of the Greeks. Is only changed the names of Gods and Goddesses.

• OK this is VERY simple... Venus and Aphrodite are one and the same Goddess, just not in the same Religion. When the Romans took over Europe they imposed THEIR religion which was based (almost copied) from the Greek religion at the time. Venus is the goddess of Beauty and Love... So is Aprhodite.
    Venus --> Roman
    Aphrodite --> Greek

• Venus is the Roman version of Aphrodite, the goddess of love and Sex. Aphrodite was born from sea foam caused by the Titans being killed by Zeus, Poseidon and Hades. Aphrodite is the best bet for a research paper, as she had several cults dedicated to her, especially in Delphi.
    If you need any more help with Greek mythology just ask ☺️

• they're the same person. the 1st is roman. the other is greek, durr :P

• It is the same person. The romans called her venus. The greeks called aphrodite.

• Zeus

• venus in latin name aphrodite's

What Girls Said 7

• Aphrodite is Greek. Venus is Roman. The Greek Empire is older than the Roman Empire, thus Venus is derived from aphrodite though they are considered to be the same goddess with a different avatar or name.

• Venus is a Roman goddess who became identified with Aphrodite and represented Aphrodite in many of the Roman versions of Greek myths.

So whilst it's ok to view Venus and Aphrodite as interchangable, as in many respects they are, you should remember Romans had a mythology before they took on the Greeks. There are actually differences between the Godesses. Venus was orignially the Goddess of fertility, gardens, cultivation and Spring. She has a very ancient history in legends around the Italy area but was not a major Goddess of early Rome (probably not until her identification with Aphrodite). So no, she was not the same originally, but ended up the same.

• Exactly. In late antiquity there was a movement to make sense of the different gods of different peoples by associating or classifying them by character. The Romans described Celtic and Norse and even Egyptian gods as being avatars of their own gods.

• Wait. Do you not understand the interplay of Greek and Roman mythology?

• i'm pretty sure that aphrodite came first since the greek era was earlier than the roman one. venus is the roman manifestation of aphrodite. i would say that you do aphrodite because she is the one that aligns with common knowledge about the greek myths. not many people know too much about roman myths. i remember she was made out of foam since her name means that in greek.

• Did someone summon me? Hehehe☺ KNEEL BEFORE ME, MERE MORTAL'S!!!

• Aphrodite was a Greek goddess. When Rome was founded, they just renamed her and made her "theirs".

(Examples: Zeus was Jupiter if I remember correctly, Athena turned into Minerva, and Posidion was turned into Neptune.

At least, that's what I remember)

• I'm Greek and this is quite accurate lol..
    So Aphrodite is the Greek name for the goddess of love. Venus is the same goddess, but in the Roman "language".
    So actually yes.. They are the same person.. They just changed her name.. Like Zeus (Greek name), is Jupiter (Roman name).