Can you consider Video Games as works of Art?

Some games deserve clearly the title of "MasterPiece" such as Beyond Two Souls, The Last of Us or Heavy Rain.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes absolutely they are in my opinion ! Tbh I love the Last of US, I watched like a movie, ( I didn't play it, I just watched the gameplay on youtube haha) heck it was even better than the average Zombie Hollywood movie!
    I also love Skyrim, it inspires me so much, everything, from the graphics, to the Music and Landscapes... The story line is also interesting, but unfortunately the gameplay can get a bit repetitive.

Most Helpful Guy

• Music is considered art
    Acting is considered art
    Storytelling can be considered as an art
    Entertainment in general is an art form
    Art, obviously, is considered art (ie. Concept art)

Games incorporate all of these things. I'd consider them art.

What Girls Said 9

• Yes.
    If this stupid painting is considered art, video games are much better.
    static01.nyt.com/.../AUCTION-master675.jpg

• Hmmmm i can see the darkness in that painting... Makes me question the world and humanity and all that...

Wait no i was thinking of a Picasso painting :o

• Certainly! Video games are, to me, just interactive movies, and we certainly consider some movies masterpieces. I have been more engrossed in the story, art, and characters of some games than I have of paintings, movies, books, or plays. They are another method of artwork.

• Yes. There is a lot of art going in to making a video game. You have concept artists (some for characters, environments, armor, weapons, etc.), storyboard artists, animators, voice actors, music composer, etc. etc. Same as an animated film.

• Yes, definitely.

• yes! Skyrim, Fallout 3, and like the entire Halo series are all awesome in my opinion. i know Fallout 3 isn't the most graphically advanced (certainly not anymore) but its still my favourite

• Personally to me... Hell yes!!!

• yes yes thy are thy just art that move

• Yes!

• Yes, some are definitely works of art.

What Guys Said 18

• Absolutely, they are creative works not just with artwork and music compositions but storylines and interactivity.

The best are masterpieces on their own merits, not because they are trying desperately to be art (such as Braid)

• Yes, some of them really deserve this title.

• Definitely. The concept of art encompasses so much since Modern Art that I truly believe that games can be considered a work of art! :D

• yes definitely. i mean even if you focus only on narrative or graphics style, it can be considered as works of art. there are just so many forms of art put together into one great thing that it would be stupid to deny it is art.

• There amount of man hours that goes into something like Skyrim makes it art in my opinion.

• Assasons Creed and Assasins Creed II can be considered works of art...

Before Ubisoft started milking the he'll out of the franchise.

Knights of the Old Republic I and II are amazing as well.

• Really, I found pretty much all of them before black flag to be utterly devoid of fun and the only truly good AS game to be Syndicate

• @Waffles731 go to hell, the only TRUE Assassin's Creeds are 1, 2, brotherhood and Revelations... it all went to shit after that

• I found AS one and Two painfully boring and as for someone who is a fan of stealth games, they honestly suck as a stealth game

• of course they can be art

• Its a fact it is a work of art.

• yes, the best kind of art

• don't you forget bioshock

• honestly I think any video game beats painting or drawings in the art category.

• Pls tetris , commend the genius who came out with that shit.

• Yes they are a form of artistioc expression

• Lol obviously

• Yeah definitely, although I disagree with your opinion on what ones are masterpieces.

• Please refer to dadaism

• Video games are bullshit made for little kids, and any adult who plays them is fucking retarded

• Of course you can. If a movie can be art so can a video game.
    And if digital art can be art you know.. Have you seen some of the more impressive visual games at boosted up textures and what not? Pure eyecandy.