R. I. P. Prince Rogers Nelson, is anyone else as saddened as me?

"Dearly beloved
We are gathered here today
To get through this thing called life
Electric word life
It means forever and that's a mighty long time
But I'm here to tell you, there's something else..."

The artist formerly and then again known as Prince has passed away at age 57.

Is anyone else as shocked and as saddened as me? So much talent dying this year. ☂☔️☂☔️☂☔️☂☔️💜💜💜💜💜💜💜🕊🕊🕊🕊🕊🕊🕊🕊😢😢😢😢

As shocked as I am at his passing, I'm even more shocked at the people on here who say they've never heard of him. I guess I was very fortunate to have been brought up in a house where music of all genres was so important. our parents played it all and I came to love and appreciate it all.
Over 100 million records sold worldwide
45 award nominations, winning 7 Grammy's
4 VMA's and an Oscar.
Reportedly he had no will and a judge to split the assets equally among all living relatives. 1 sister and five half siblings.
Between his properties, other assets and his music library, it could be up to a BILLION dollars. If a proven "love" child steps forward, they get 100% of the estate. Anyone related?

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• OMG!!! I have JUST YESTERDAY started listening to Purple Rain and then went on a total Prince-spree of songs! Honestly, it may sound creepy, but whenever I do this with somebody (listen to songs/watch movies) that person dies. Like Michael Jackson, Robin Williams , David Bowie... It's creepy.

He is a legend. Legends NEVER die! Death only makes them IMMORTAL! I know it sounds weird, but that is the truth.

• Oh wow! Please let us know the next time you are going to start listening to someone. I'll warn them!

• Taylor Swift! LOL!!! 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

What Guys Said 41

• very shocking. i guess he may have been sick although details have been few.

i wasn't a huge fan of his but definitely saw how immensely talented he was and his impact on music, fashion, and other arenas

definitely a huge loss

• I suspect AIDS related. When people die of "the flu" today, at a relatively young age, that tends to be what it means. Especially a wealthy person like "Prince" Rogers Nelson. Immune system severely compromised. :(

It may also have been drug abuse, which destroyed the kidneys of his associate Denise "Vanity" Matthews. She died two months ago, back in February, also at 57, of kidney failure.

• definitely. but i think the good to come out of it, which sadly happens when people die too often, is a greater appreciation for his work.

• media.giphy.com/media/d9ltR6odFmQsE/giphy.gif

Seriously though, this sucks. I'm an 80s child, I came up listening to Prince.

• I saw that skit. Hilarious with Eddie Murphys brother I think.

• Yeah, it's Charlie Murphy. I actually meant him once, he came to the bar I managed after doing a stand up comedy show in town. One of our regulars was the guy who booked and took care of entertainment for the venue the show was at, and he brought him through and introduced us. Nice guy, didn't talk to him a ton because I was working, but he was cool to everyone who recognized him, even though I tried to hide him in the room in the way back of the place, haha. HUGE teeth, haha, probably Veneers😬😂

• I was enjoying Purple Rain on the radio just now when a co-worker came around looking shocked and told me. And now they're playing Raspberry Beret!

This sucks. What the hell, 2016?

• Yes, this is very, very sad. He was and will remain a truly great and innovative music artist. Amazing musician.

• It's shocking news and totally unexpected. I was listening to "Little Red Corvette" the other day on the radio on my way to work.

• It is very sad. I do enjoy a lot of his music. I feel just as sad at a not famous person dying though. Apparently Chyna died today too. The story just isn't headlining.

• i'd actually heard about chyna's death before prince. saw it on facebook and yahoo...

in fairness though Prince's star was certainly bigger than Chyna's so it's no wonder that once the news about Prince hit Chyna got relegated to an after story

• I don't think any persons death is "sadder" than another's but it's newsworthiness relates more to a persons influence in the world. The fact that he or she touched more lives is what makes it more newsworthy. Certainly not sadder. All death is sad. I'll just be more affected by those who had in impact in my life.

• I understand why his death is in the news. I wasn't talking about you Sarah. What I said about his death being sadder is what I've noticed from a lot of the news outlets. I heard a few talk about how tragic it is because of how much talent he had (I don't remember exactly how it was phrased--long day). I think they did probably literally mean what they said that way, but if they were to consciously think about that opinion, they may realize it may not make sense. That was my observation.

• Yes very sad

• RIP to a Legend, huge fan of his work and I'm sad to hear he passed away so soon.

• Devastated...

He has been with me from when I discovered music to having a place in every part of my life

• Yes. Very much so. My mom just told me. I am at work. Very shocked.

Dear Mr. Death,
    Please take the rest of 2016 off.

• Just heard about it - Not his biggest fan but loved Sinead O' Connor's version of "Nothing Compared To You"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZCiHsIfrOg
    Yeah you are so right, such a bad year so far for music deaths

• We've lost another legend.

• Genuine Icon-perfect mix of genius and eccentricity RIP

• We're gonna party like it's 1999. I remember him when he was big in the 80s.

• I wish I knew more of his music, and I guess now is a time to get into it. But he's it's shocking, I read that it might have been the flu that was ailing him

• No. I'm more saddened that people seem to care more about when a celebrity dies than a soldier who died overseas. Don't get me wrong - I don't like it when ANYONE dies. But to give priority to a celebrity over an armed-service person is just completely wrong.

• I'm saddened every time one of our very important servicemen dies, I think when a celebrity such as Prince or Glenn Frey dies it hits hard because often times that celebrity has been with you through your entire life journey and their music can immediately bring back to a certain time and place in your journey like nothing else can.

• Which hopefully means we don't have any fallen heros to speak of. 💜

• Unfortunately, it doesn't mean that. Of the times that I seen any moments of a military funeral, it was only for a minute or two. And there were more than one time, but not a lot.

• Yes, such a talented guy, all self taught too

• Yeah it's really sad, I wonder who the third and final one will be since celebrities always die in pairs of 3.

• I was surprised to hear about it on Twitter he wasn't really that old , he was battling the flu maybe just had a weak heart don't know if he ever did drugs in his youth but it's possible

• It has no effect on me. When I got to work today one of my coworkers was dressed in purple and crying.

• I came of age in the 1980's, and he was very much a part of the Zeitgeist of the times. RIP.

• This is my first time finding out about this and yes this saddens me. Prince's childhood and success story was always inspirational to me. Also, his songs were always risque, pushed the limits and went outside the norm.

• Avoid drugs. Your life lesson there.

• doesn't sound like it was drug. he was sick for weeks apparently with the flu and was even hospitalized earlier this week

• @madhatters4 read tmz. Not the flu. Had to emergency land in Illinois for a save shot to counteract opiates. Advised to stay in hospital but left. Likely finished the job at home.

• Let's not spread unfounded rumors until the autopsy is released.

• I couldn't think who he was at first because I've never heard his last name said and the picture didn't load. Certainly a talented guy. I can't say I care much for his music but purple rain was great.

• I don't really care... didn't listened to his stuff

• Thanks so much for sharing that.

• Your comment sounded sarcastic, so I explained it.

• Because I didn't see the point of it

• I guess I'm the one person that doesn't really care

• well i guess he was reasonably influential.. will he be long remembered.. possibly not.

• I believe you are sadly mistaken. Prince will be long remembered as one of the most iconic musicians in history.

• @Justin201 i wasn't a huge prince fan but his impact was huge. He wrote for everyone from Sinead o'conner to the bangles... beyonce to jay-z.

• @madhatters4 Justin is justamoron I'm sure he can't help himself.

• Never heard of him, ever. why do u put so much importance on this? in the world there are so many more talented and other people who contribute so much to society. so many needy kids, yet u mention so guy i never ever heard of. hahaha

• I can't explain your ignorance. But even teenagers should know who influenced the artists they listen to and enjoy today. Watch the news.

• I can't believe some people haven't heard of Prince! Purple rain people!

• Did he die today?

• More from Guys
    11

What Girls Said 24

• Yes, I am Very sad, @SarahsSummer, for Like Michael Jackson, who was also a Great and Talented Pop star, I watched the news tonite and there is More than Meets the eye in his Untimely Death that is going to be Investigated.
    Good luck and Great question. xx

• I never listened to his music.
    However, my heart goes out to his loved ones, may he rest in peace.
    This I would say about anyone who passed away.

• R. I. P Prince <3

• Yesssss. Another legend gone. #RIPPrince

• Now that was a sad surprise

• shocking news! I loved Prince. And his music will be passed on and remembered for generations I am sure.

• Not sad enough to go on GAG and round up attention from a bunch of strangers. It's not like he was part of your family. Sad? Sure, it's sad we lost an artist, but I'll still listen to his music and life goes on.

• Sorry I imagine you'd rather more of the how do I look, is my penis big enough and does he like me? Posts that fill this site daily than actual newsworthy events.

• WHAT, HE DIED? Oh man

• oh my god, no way. i love prince, i wanted to see him in live concert :( RIP

• I am a late 90's baby. But I can't believe it either. The doves must be crying today. Purple rain and little red corvette ❤️ Gone to soon but will never be forgotten. So sad.

• Yes, very sad. My mom was a big fan and I remember as a little girl, before I even knew what the lyrics meant dancing around and singing to his music with my mom. The first song I ever heard of his was "Little Red Corvette" and had no idea what it meant, but loved it. Definitely lost a musical legend. RIP, Prince.

• He'll always exist through his music and we can all continue to exist through our friends and families memories.

• No. It's sad because dying is sad, but I'm not sad. I don't even know him.
    He Reminds me of Michael. They both had that weird feminine look, and music that I was never a fan of... But some had catchy tunes..

It's interesting to me though that he no longer exists.. And one day we won't either.. 😳

• I was never really into him but it's always sad when someone dies so young

• (insert. abject. shock. here)

• ): I never heard of him!

• Wow! Party like its 1999? Little Red Corvette? Purple Rain? Let's Go Crazy?
      Raspberry Beret? Never heard of any of these classics?

• Omg that's so sad I love him

• I couldn't believe it. Im very shocked. he was amazing.

• my stepdad said to place your money on a pulmonary embolism for cause of death. most commonly mistaken for a heart attack, so they oftentimes receive inadequate treatment

• It is shocking. He wasn't my favorite artist, but I did like his songs "little red corvette" and "let's pretend we're married". In fact the second one was the first song I heard by him.
    And it is shocking that people wouldn't know who he was. I do. I've also grown up in a house full of music. I guess I'm extremely lucky

• Not really since I wasn't much of a fan.

• Nope :T

• Sad but I never really liked his music.

• I don't know him

• Yes, I loved Prince 😥 R. I. P 🙏💕

• I'm impressed you knew who he was. Many people older than you hadn't. ☔️