Can I learn to draw better or is it a talent?

My skills are ok-ish and I'm not good at drawing realistic things, I'm wondering if anyone has learned to draw well and how they did it. Is there a class for it? Are there any free tutorials online? Can I learn to draw better or is it a talent??

these are the pictures that I drew... They look okay I just want to get better. And the first one is a girl version of the mad hatter and the bottom is the chesire cat. They're creepy lol but I wanted hatty to look like a drug addict who's been abused.

Most Helpful Guy

• There can only be one Leonardo da Vinci, of course, and some people have an eye for things that others never will. However, at some level it's like most abilities: you can get much better with practice. It has to be serious practice with a meaningful purpose, though.

A good art teacher can teach you techniques and give you things to think about that can improve your ability to create the image you see in your mind. Maybe your school has a class that will work for you; I know the parks and recreation departments of some towns offer workshops or classes over the summer as well. I'm sure if you look around on the internet you'll find information of use too. In particular, learning to draw perspective is a huge transitional step for many people and something that can be developed with instruction and (albeit sometimes boring) practice.

And there's nothing wrong with filling drawing pads with practice drawings or even parts of drawings that nobody but you will ever see. Even the greats make many sketches to work out poses or various elements of their work.

Non-realistic styles are also every bit as legitimate as realistic ones when it comes to art. Likewise, no material or medium is more legitimate than another. There are even motorcycle and hockey goalie helmets out there that are amazing examples of airbrush art. If the cartoon fantasy style works for you, then by all means stick with it.

What Guys Said 4

• You can study and get better but there's no substitute for raw genetic talent.

• Of course you can improve, if you don't know anyone that can draw, then watch videos, and just keep drawing.

• With hard work comes practice with practice comes skill. If you keep practicing you can infact become a great artist

• It's about talent. But maybe you got this deep in you. You should dig it. Best way is take some lessons.

What Girls Said 1

• Wow! Nice! lol