Does there need to be more nonwhite women playing lead roles in movies and television?

• Yes, a lot more
  • The Worlds not ready for that
  • Undecided

Most Helpful Girl

• Then maybe more non white people should chose the career of "producers".
    You can't just complain and expect someone else (such as a producer or producers) to choose whom you or anybody else wants... They will choose whim THEY want, because they earned their position to do and choose whom they want. If you and five million others are not happy, then maybe more of you should be studying to be producers to chose whom you want to be the lead characters in anything...

• Or even writers. If you write a book or a movie, you have the power to decide who is whom and so on... So perhaps not many people who prefer other races are choosing the path of these careers, so went tell them who they could choose as their characters of it's Their story line.

• I'm not a big diversity fan, Especially since it only seems to imply less white people only.
      But even in that ultra biased bullshit agenda, It seems to be only white men getting pushed aside in the name of "fairness' lol

• Thank you!! :]!

Most Helpful Guy

• Only if those roles don't differ from the traditional roles like for instance if Annie was originally white don't make her black, and vice versa. Because that classic character and who and what she is, is already established, other then that if the character isn't already assigned a race then whoever is the most skilled actor and actually deserves the part should get it.

• It's just with all the outcry for diversity, There answer is black guys and nobody else. They made the human torch a black guy but kept his sister white lol
      Seems very hypocritical.

• Screw diversity if the character was already established then don't fuck with it, period. And if the character is not already established then whoever is the most skilled actor gets the part. And that's hollywood for ya.

• Thank ya.

What Girls Said 5

• I know a lot of people don't care, but the self hate is sometimes real for us "ugly darkies". I know it shouldn't matter, but it's nice to see your own kind make it. It's nice to see someone who looks like you at least once in a while.

This doesn't mean that they should remove every white person, nor that they should be overlooked and give the role to a "less talented" nonwhite, but if there is equal talent, then the nonwhite shouldn't be automatically looked over.

The whole scandal with little Kim is funny to some people, but it's real for us who aren't fair skin, blue eyes, blonde beauties. I've seen people do the craziest things to change their skin color, hair, eyes. From bleaching, to pouring honey into their eyes (yes, because supposedly this helps lighten them), and these are issues many women who aren't white suffer in silence and don't want to speak about it because it's very shameful.
    www.azquotes.com/.../...-were-lil-kim-99-95-28.jpg

• Also, this doesn't mean to shoehorn us into anything for the sake of diversity, but given the history of Hollywood for whitewashing, it's evident that they don't feel nonwhites would not help them succeed.

• Blah, I used a double negative lol
      *would help them succeed.

• i dont see why it matters. i made a huge deal about the new Annie being a black girl (still undecided about that one) but then my crush was all "dont be an idiot, they just gave it to the best actress" n i just sat there for a sec. in all fairness everyone told me that, i just dgaf til someone i care about tells me whats right xD #tooweirdtolivetooraretodie :p

• It would be nice to see more women who look like me be out there. Like Zoe Saldana in colombiana and as Gamora in Guardians of the Galaxy.

• It's whatever

• This only happens in Murica.

What Guys Said 13

• No. The decisions should be based on the target audience., and not based on political correctness. The studio needs to put whomever will make them the most money. I see no reason to push one race more than the other, out of some sense of fairness, or diversity.

• Yes but the REAL answer is not one your gonna like. Many Film directors (Myself included) deal with this little 'war' with investors on a daily basis. Large companies like 'Sony' are also part of the reason why you don't see many diverse roles happening and leans more on stereotype.

I'll use an example; The new Ghost in the Shell movie and the shit storm with them 'trying' to make the female lead 'look asian' instead of hiring an Asian actor.

Yes it can be argued that Scarlett is a huge name and it would bring an audience but there are tons of Asian actors that would fill that role easily. Not to mention the story is based IN JAPAN, but you know... details...

The point is Hollywood is not into the business of being 'diverse' hell even new actors have a hell of a time getting into lead roles and trying to convince the investors is even harder. It's why more and more directors are going independent which is why there is now a huge market for that genre now.

• So they don't think a nonwhite female could carry the movie, Even if the character is specifically nonwhite?

• Thats right, it's a tough truth but it is what it is. Some movies do come out well. But most e. g.(Dragon Ball Z) come out not so well. Mostly it's not the director's fault tho they constantly get blamed for it, but solely the investor's/distributor.

• I don't know why people care about this. Why is color so important? I understand gender because of different physical capabilities and in some cases, historic accuracy, but color? That makes no sense.
    I relate/identify as much with a black man, as I do with a white one. I also relate/identify as much with a woman as I do with a man, so I don't see the point of adding people of color just because.
    If the actor/actress is good enough to be in the movie, then cast them, no matter the color (keeping in mind historic accuracy too). I dislike having to add diversity just for the sake of it, it's ridiculously stupid.

• Definitely yes, the more - the better ;)

• No

Shows that seem like focused on white people are shows where the source material originated back in the day, comic book superhero movies for example. Changing a character from white to black is just wrong because there's no valid reason behind it.

Shows that use material from 21st century are diverse enough.

• Other than SJWs, who even cares? So long as they're great actors, all should be fine. Even if all the great actors for a particular movie just happened to be white, all is fine either way. If the movie's good, it's good. No amount of diversity will or even should change that.

• Yes, I would like to see more cute Asian girls in the lead roles

• Yeah why not? I'm not racist.

• Lead roles should be casted for the talent, not the race.

• It doesn't matter, put more in IDGAF.

• I don't really care either way.

• Lol, look at this Racist. America is a multicultural nation son. You're insinuating, only white people run Hollywood? Ignorant folks like you need to shut about it already. Insecure that colored men are getting white chicks? Lol.
    I don't see any other culture having a problem with this 'White' bullshit other than you Americans, not in Europe, not in Asia. Not anywhere else. You're just a bigot. We get it, scared little ignorant man.

• Aww, look at this poor man, your girl leave you for a big black cock? Oops I guess she did.

• Maaaan. You be #WhiteShaming yoself. Watchu you do? Look up the dictionary to find them words? Shiiiiit. No wonder OP be hatin'.
      Thinks he can hide behind color, when the fool hisself be colorless.
      Nah man, can't win with a foo'.

• I don't hide behind my color, I always only speak for myself.
      But Europe is very racist, One extreme of racism is just as bad as another, And Internalized racism is the most pathetic kind.
      And you brought up Asia, They are very race conscious and elitist, From everything I see.

• Just watch Asian TV if you want zero diversity. In Japanese TV 99.9% of actors are Japanese, they are so racist... they need more diversity...

• Yeah I know, Same with Bollywood and any other nonwhite cinema. But good luck arguing with hypocrites.

• Lol exactly, white media has diversity (although apparently not enough for the racists who enjoy TV based off of the color of the actors' skin), African, Indian, and East Asian media has zero diversity (which isn't necessarily a bad thing), but seriously. These racist trolls like this, should just watch international movies if they care about skin color so much.

• America has more migrants than any country. America is multicultural. Japan and India has less than 0.1% white dudes (I guess) and searching for talent among them would be waste of time.