Do you prefer to read books in your mother tongue or do you prefer to speak the language of the author so nothing gets lost in translation?

For one, I love my mother tongue and we have amazing authors that allow me not to have to search far to have a good read. However when I look for books that have, let's say, an English author, I prefer to buy the book in English because no matter how good the translation is or the translator some things will always get lost and you'll always do your own translation.

Bonus: Recommend me a book wrote from an author from your country that you love!

Most Helpful Guy

• But you also take the risk of not getting the author meaning, since it's not your original language. It's a lose lose, for both sides, but i get what you say, and yes with time and new readings you get more of it. Still it gives you margin for error.

• You're right. But don't you agree that our writers have quite the talent? I, for one, think our language is rich and beautiful. One of the things I love most about my nationality!

• "Tanques" to you ! Like my father says :p

• Ahahah you're welcome! :D

Most Helpful Girl

• I do read a lot in my mother tongue. I read a little in English.. Actually many authors of my country write in English as well. It's called Indian English Literature.
    I'd like to recommend you 2 books-
    The Hungry Tide by Amitav Ghosh
    Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpha Lahiri

• What are those about? And thank you for recommending them! 😊

• Ohhh thanks! What is 'The Book of Disquiet' about?

What Guys Said 3

• My main language is Norwegian, but when i found my favorite author (which is Raymond E Feist) i abosolutely had to find his work in English so i was sure i read it in his words. and fully understood where he was going with the books.

• I prefer in Dutch but for practisimg my English i read also in English

• I rather have them translated

What Girls Said 4

• I've been thinking about doing the same, since I want to improve my English.
    But I haven't found yet a book that got my attention. So, I'm still looking for it.

I get your idea, but sometimes you might not understand what they're saying. Sometimes, you have to be a native speaker in order to know some words or expressions.

• Yes, that's also true. Unfortunately. What kinds of books do you enjoy reading? Maybe I could help!

• I'll be counting on it! 😊

• I pefer the author!

• I prefer reading books in English even though I'm Greek. I hate translations and since I don't feel like I need them..

• If I understand the language of origin then I usually read the book untranslated. I. E. most of the books I read are in English.