Can anybody recommend some good books/audio books for my upcoming road trip?

I'm going on a road trip in a couple of weeks. Altogether total to and from, I will be in the car 28 glorious hours.

Can you suggest some good books and audio books that I can listen to.

I tend to read thrillers, drama, comedy, mystery, sci-fy fantasy. Those are all good, mostly all fiction stuff.

Most Helpful Guy

• The Dresden Files,
    Its about a wizard in chicago
    “Let's get something clear up front. I'm not Harry Dresden. Harry's a wizard. A genuine, honest-to-goodness wizard. He's Gandalf on crack and an IV of Red Bull, with a big leather coat and a.44 revolver in his pocket. He'll spit in the eye of gods and demons alike if he thinks it needs to be done, and to hell with the consequences"
    The audiobooks are read by James Marsters who played Spike in Buffy the Vampire Slayer

• What a good teaser, and who could go wrong with James?

• I know right, the later book readings are more like audio plays they are that good and James Marsters is the man of a million voices, hell after buffy I didn;t even know he wasn't British till I read his wikipedia page

Most Helpful Girl

• I LOVE audiobooks!

Tana French's The Likeness is a good mystery. The Haunting of Hill House was super creepy and suspenseful.

Sissy Spasek reading "To Kill a Mockingbird" is the best audiobook I've ever heard.

True Grit is pretty good.

Lord of the Rings was fantastically done. The BBC did a dramatization of the entire Narnua series that was great, too.

The Charlaine Hareis Sookie Stackhouse series is well narrated and entertaining.

What Guys Said 17

• The Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer. just hope you aren't the one driving... you won't be able to take your eyes off the road.
    I have PDFs of them if you want...

• How about just talking with, and getting to know those you are with? Maybe some share some similar interests! Don't just tune out, with an opportunity like that!!

• I know the ones I'm going with pretty well, as they are my parents, lol. You do realize 28 hours is a really long time, right, and no one is going to be talking for 28 hours straight. It's all about creating a balance between talking and entertainment.

• You might be surprised!! I was having a lot of 'issues' with my brother, and he HATED coming out to California to help bring our dad back 'home' after he had three strokes.
      I was HATING the idea of being in the truck, hauling all of our stuff back, as my dad's brothers took him, in a rented limo, like he was something AMAZING!! Of course, they stopped at all the casinos, Vegas, and any Indian ones!! He had a great ride, but it was me and my brother, who didn't want to be there, doing this, cleaning out the apartment, loading the truck, and driving it, while they had their fun!!
      It was 42 hours of driving time, and stopping, at hotels, meals, when we didn't think we liked the same foods!!
      The short, of the story, I am so much closer with my brother, now, and I hated the idea, going in, but we talked about a lot of things, shared some memories, talked about past 'issues' and pretty much resolved all the sht, from our past.
      Cousins wonder why we are such good friends, now...

• I'm glad that worked for you in your situation, but my parents and I have a good relationship. This is actually the second time we are taking this trip to visit family. I really do enjoy the conversations we have, but we all understand each other's need to just be entertained too, so my situation works for me and my family. Every family or road trip is different and has different needs.

• My Dad got me The invisible man, when I was younger. You could also try, Alfred Hitchcock, or even Agatha Christie, I think those would keep your mind busy. Try Amazon to see if the have them in audio.

• What type of books do you like?

If you like non-fiction adventure books, I would highly recommend audio books for John Krakaur's Into the Wid and Into Thin Air.

Escape by Carolyn Jessop.

• What do you enjoy reading?

• see update

• I thought patriot games and Without remorse were better

• @Waffles731 I'm sure we can find fans that like every book. I'm enjoying the whole cottage industry that's grown up around Jack Ryan, Jr.

• Hitchers's Guide to the Galaxy

• I am almost finished the first book of a sci-fi series. I forget the title, but I'll co. e back after I remember lol, and the series has gone on for at least 3 or 4 books by now.

• It's called laviathan Wakes. Written by James S. A Corey. I think it is written by two people who write undee one name

• This actually sounds like it could be pretty awesome. I looked it up and James S. A. Corey is the pen name of Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck, correct. Thank you so much for the suggestion.

• No problem,

• Cloaked, by Alex Flinn is a mashup of a ton of different fairy tales, set in a modern-day world. It's a really neat story, and is fairly long.

• IInheritance quadrilogy by Christopher Paolini, The Harry potter books the last one sucks though, Shadow of the Dragon by Sherri Garland

• I was going to suggest hitch hikers but someone already did. If thats not your style the BBC has a ton of cool free audio books/radio shows you can load up your mp3 player with.

• I know the two are often not the same thing, but I saw the movie, and seeing the movie tends to ruin the book for me should I see the one before I read the other, but thank you for your help and suggestion.

• The Fountainhead. The narrator is amazing

• sixth extinction

• The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher.

• John Grisham writes amazing books

• Dean Koontz is good on road trips. Loves truck stop sells lots of audio books

• I've read pretty much all of Koontz at this point. I used to ritually turn off the tv at 8pm and just listen to audiobooks or read, and he was one of my main reads.

• Mine too. Terry Goodkind is really good if you can find him. The first confessor is on audio for sure

• List some books you have liked so I can get an idea of your taste.

• thriller, drama, comedy, mystery, sci-fy fantasy, those are all good.

• Well, I listen to books while I work and the quality of the reader makes a big difference. I don't go in fot thrillers much unless that includes police mystery/procedurals, comedy is a tough one because there are all different kinds of humor, I tend to like strange dark comedy Like Tim Dorsey's 'Serge Storms' series, he's a sort of comic homicidal lunatic, on the more quaint side I also enjoy Bill Bryson's comedy/travel books. Mysteries I listen to a lot, so many i don't know where to begin, I like 'Scandinavian Noir' "the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' series or Joe Nesbo's 'Harry Hole' series. Sci-fi I don't do so much but 'Hull Zero-Three' by Greg Bear' was interesting as well as the 'Caliban's War' series. For fantasy the 'Song of Ice and Fire' series by George Martin is good, as is 'Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norell".

• Thank you for all of your suggestions. You've been a big help.

What Girls Said 7

• Sorry I can't lol... sounds awesome I love long roads!

• If you haven't already, I highly recommend reading ACOTAR (A Court of Thorns and Roses) series. The second book was just released on May 3rd

• 50 shades of gray.
    Game of thrones books they are big they last a while.
    Diary of a wimpy kid books are fun to read

• I'm currently listening to Harry Potter audio books and there excellent not to mentioned I'm obssess with harry potter world.

• TFIOS, If I stay..

• Roadtrip? Read The Edge of Never; awesome book about roadtrips and friendships and love.

• You're probably already familiar with this, I suggest The Lord of the Rings. It's a great adventure/fantasy story in my view and since you mentioned that you're a fantasy fan I think you'll like it.

• you say that like LOTR might be a secret, lol. I've been there, read that, and of course seen the movies, but thank you anyway for the suggestion.

• You're welcome.