Is this the new type celebrity?

Is social media famous the new type of celebrity? What do people mean when they say being famous on social media is like being rich in monopoly.

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• because being famous on social media doesn't even get u money unless ur on youtube or know how to manipulate ur situation for endorsements.

• Wrong, I'm far from social media "famous" and even I already am offered real money for promoting brands on my Instagram!
      It's crazy how much people underestimate the power of social media..

• @Asker exactly, you just need to have a theme, a bit of creativity & some knowledge of photography to work with - it's absolutely no rocket science but it takes some patience

• @Jxpxtxr Ya. Its about presenting this ideal image which is easier on sites like tumblr and instagram. It's also a lot easier to capture ppls attention than say youtube.

What Guys Said 2

• Social media has real people, you know that, right? And its not that new. People have been using social media to get famous for plenty of years. You probably just noticed it

• My guess is that means it's useless, means nothing. That's how I take it anyway.

What Girls Said 6

• Being social media famous is definitely a new type of celebrity - just look at how hyped all those YouTube stars or famous bloggers are! They are making up a huge part of the front row at fashion shows, too, and that was originally always exclusively for actresses, fashion icons and famous musicians!
    Hell, Chiara Ferragni is making 8 million a year!

• a1. Yes, social media platforms are replacing everything. + are more relevant than ever

a2. Synthetic online fame can easily evaporate.

• Yes...

• Social media "celebs" look cringy fake to me.

• They get paid per post.

• Personally I don't think anything of it.