Should I throw away my old cassettes?

I still have a bunch of them, I'll listen to them occasionally, but not so much. I'm not sure it they have any value as a vintage item or not.

Should I throw away my old cassettes?

Most Helpful Guy

• You know that you can digitize the music and save them as MPEG files, right?

• @HaveNoName probably, although I'm kinda partial to country music, like Alabama.

• @HaveNoName I also like weird music like most of the music in Joseph and the multicolored dreamcoat.

Most Helpful Girl

• Keep them! I still have mine, and I have a lot of them (my parents gave me their whole collection of records and cassettes).

What Guys Said 12

• I can't part with mine. Too classic.

• Try to google for collectors of music on cassettes and see if you can ask some different people about it.
    If 3 or 4 different people tell you they have no value than you'll have to decide if they still have value for you... or throw them away.
    It will than depend on how long your cassette player still lives. Those things are probably hard to repair or replace :o

• I have one that works, and I'm sure I've seen cassette players in stores.

• In Belgium no way... most people use their laptop or smart phone for music these days, and a DVD player you may also find. But cassette recorders no more :o

• the collectible ones are probably the ones that were put out by a particular artist not the ones that you could use to record stuff.

• Maybe they will be worth a lot of money one day. You just never know when things that goes out of style will have a high demand on them.

• The problem with cassettes is/was that they would wear out with time. Hence nobody would spend money now on buying them. Indeed, for music collectors, there are many albums that you only get on tapes if you go for uses music. But online / streaming music has killed that all.

Are these original albums or your taped collection?

I have about 800 of those sitting in my garage.

• there are some originals, are there people who collect those?

• Not by buying them, but for instance, I cannot get rid of my collection. I just love those covers and their art in original form.

• ditch them. cassettes blow. who wants tape hiss and fast forwarding?

they don't have the warmth of vinyl
    they don't have the crispness of CDs
    they don't have the convenience of streaming or mp3s

• Keep it in a box somewhere like I do. Trust me, you'll look back with fond memories of them one day.

• Back them up digitally or something to preserve and archive their content, unless somehow you had already torrented and downloaded all MP3 copies of those music tracks and songs from the internet or something.

• KEEEP THEM.
    Cassettes have gone the way of the dodo and their value will only increase over time at this point. Keep them safe. The number of surviving cassettes will only decrease from here. Fewer working cassettes = more resale value

• not if they're recorded ones.

originals w/ the cases keep.

• I can't part with mine. They bring back a lot of happy memories. They are all in cases including originals. I keep them in my attic carefully boxed up. You just never know, one day they could become valuable.

• i don't think you should. I hold on to my records.

What Girls Said 6

• nahhh!

• I wouldn't throw them away.

• Nooo way. Keep them in a laminated binder or something

• If you still like them keep them

• Honestly I don't think my collection is worth much but I'm hanging on to them anyways.

• No keep them