First time cosplay and in need of guidance?

Hello friends.

My younger sisters both LOVE anime, so I'm going with them to an anime convention! Both of them plan on cosplaying, and I love getting dressed up so I said I would too, but I have no idea what to do or who to go as. They are both going as anime characters. The only "anime" I've watched is Avatar (and I love it). I know you don't have to dress up as an anime character at these cons, but I don't know if it's like, an unwritten rule or kinda weird if you dress up as something else. I definitely don't want my sisters to be embarrassed of me. They've never been to a con either so they can't guide me.

As for costume, I'm a massive nerd and really could be anything, including gender bent. I'm a young woman in my early twenties, thin, and have vibrant red hair that I love to play up. I love strong characters. I'm pretty good at makeup and decent at hair. Any ideas would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks everyone :)

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 2

• I have a cousin who's hardcore into the cosplay. My advice would be to cosplay for your SECOND con, not your first. :) Go this time in street wear and be inspired. Also, take more time and find a persona or character you feel naturally motivated to inhabit and explore. Enjoy.

• Welcome to the Con world, we love everyone! xD
    You can dress up as anyone or anything. There are tons of people who go to anime cons as video game characters, comic book characters, and of course anime and manga characters, there are probably people who also cosplay as characters from novels, but I can't think of any off of the top of my head.

People of all skill levels cosplay, some have outrageously detailed cosplays while some have simple t-shirt and shorts cosplay. Have fun!~