What's wrong with country music?

I hear a lot of people say that country music sucks so I'd like to see why

Most Helpful Guy

• Everyone will have something to say about every music style. These people just don't like country.

Most Helpful Girl

• It takes a certain type of person to like country music... and to be clear, it takes a certain type of person to like ANY music. Country music appeals to the people it does because they can relate, they like the message, they like the beat, they like the artists, what have you. Everyone always says some type of music sucks, because they don't get it, and maybe it wasn't meant for them. That's all.

What Guys Said 10

• Nothing, I love it. Especially the older country. Now it's more rock/pop then country really. In the past if anyone gave a reason it was always because it was depressing which I think is funny. Some rock songs are incredibly depressing if you really listen to the lyrics lol. But I think the older country music was just too slow and boring for them (and almost socially unacceptable to admit you like it). It's a lot more popular now (but still lots of people won't admit they like it lol), but again, it's rock pretty much now.

• It is often so down and depressing, no wonder they want to drink so much... or already are drinking. I'm ok with country when it tells a story or expresses something I had never heard of or experienced and I feel it. Like "Coal Miners Daughter"... I could experience what it was like to be a coal miners daughter. If it is twangy, no no.

• it's shitty mainstream pop music dressed in cowboy boots and fake southern accents. it's inauthentic, pandering, focus grouped music that's marketed to rednecks and cynically pushes objectionable values.

I'm specifically talking about country music post 1990 when it became the corporate behemoth it is today. Old country music is something completely different.

• Some is utter shit but the same goes for any genre. I still like a fair share of it but prefer 90's country.

• New country music is just pop music.
    Same beats that sing about the exact same stuff (drinking, chew tobacco, trucks, farmin', sex with some girl, etc)

• Modern country singers like luke bryan are pretty terrible. Too poppy and mainstream to me
    Classic country is where its at
    Or even the the guys that are still around today but from like the 90's and prior like toby keith, allen jackson, even paisley

• Nothing I like it sometimes.

• It reminds me of the open country, which is depressing.

• Hey I like my truck too, doesn't mean I want to hear a song about it.

Content-wise Hip-Hop is actually worse than Country overall, but at least you can dance too it... sort of

http://www.BBC.com/news/magazine-35929315

• Same chord arrangement in every song, same basic beat, same fake sounding country voice, same country twang, same vocals that are not relatable to me in any way. Same everything.

It just bores me to death in every way.

What Girls Said 16

• Oh i love country music. ♥ I often listen to it.

The lyrics have such deep meaning which i can often relate to. It can be therapeutic at times , and helps me to mediate. Sometimes you can't express you feelings when you are down , so some songs do it for you lol

• It's all in personal choice... Country music Is mostly liked by elderly people or those who grew up around it... But as you get older you'll start listening to music you didn't like before.. It happens to most of us.. I never really liked country music because it gets on my nerves... Somewhat annoying to my ears... And so does rap and r&b music... And they don't sound alike, yet they all fail to please my ears... And yet I can pinpoint a few songs from all those genres that I do like!! Because I have opened up to all types of music, and although I still don't like the whole genre in itself, there ARE so go that I do like!!

And having said allllll of that, it all comes down to rhythm, beats and accents.. Most rap and r&b music have that ghetto accent, while most country music has that southern y'all' accent, .., and. If the person doesn't like either of them, they will most likely not like that particular music genre. .. Whatever it may be...

• nothing.

• I grew up saying the same thing but I got into senior year and haven't looked back since. I think its because we don't hear it on the radio often but country music is one of the most popular genres out there. Quite a few country stars have sold out stadiums.

• Everyone has different taste in music. I myself enjoy rap so country isn't really my favourite but there isn't anything wrong with it.

• Their melodies are not really memorable.

• It's just really whiney sounding to me And it all sounds the same.

• it sounds kinda ugly most of the time

• Nothing is wrong with it. Some songs are good, but something I would listen to everyday all day.

• I don't think it's necessarily bad but it just isn't my cup of tea.

• I just don't like it because it's the same subjects over and over

• country music is the best I love it

• There is nothing wrong with country music, it's one of my favorite music genre out there.

• I don't like when it sounds like a dog is dying. So I don't like singers that sound like dying dogs.

• Nothing. I am not a big fan of country but I do like dolly parton.

• I like it too.