Aspiring authors do you think beta readers are necessary?

Beta readers are not explicitly proofreaders or editors, but can serve in that context. Elements highlighted by beta readers encompass things such as plot holes, problems with continuity, characterisation or believability; in fiction and non-fiction, the beta might also assist the author with fact-checking

Most Helpful Guy

• It sounds like you are talking about copy editing. I think that's a standard part of publishing. Good copy editing should catch the type of things you mentioned. Things like inconsistencies, problems with timelines, overused cliches and themes, even changes in character personality.

One problem with doing it all yourself is that you are too close to it. In your mind you know what's supposed to happen and how it's meant to be read, but what the audience is reading might be something completely different. It's a case where someone can look over your shoulder and immediately see something obvious that you miss - because you read what it was supposed to say rather than what it really said.

Most Helpful Girl

• are they necessary? no.
    can they help? definitely.

the thing is, that book is your baby; you're emotionally attached to it because you gave it life. but, let's face it, we ca all benefit from an unbiased "third eye"~ someone who isn't emotionally invested in the work and can constructively critique it for what it is.

i will definitely have beta readers when the time comes, and i've offered to be one for my writer friends, if they choose.

What Guys Said 4

• What do readers can't be alpha?

Lmao jk

• Absolutely. They have testers for pilot shows, there's no reason why there couldn't be any for books.

• I wouldn't say necessary. I would say that it's extremely helpful, just like being part of a writing group can be extremely helpful. It's hard to criticize your own work, so without other people's input editing can be really difficult.

• Oh, also beta readers can give you an idea of how your target audience is going to receive your book.

• Yea, but that doesn't mean you don't editor more afterwards. Look at vonasaurus's opinion. She said it really well.

• I get notifications for all opinions

• Yes, of course. It's naive to think that everything I'll write down will be flawless.

What Girls Said 8

• absolutely not. i rely on my own abilities.

• Please explain 😬

• "Beta readers are not explicitly proofreaders or editors, but can serve in that context. Elements highlighted by beta readers encompass things such as plot holes, problems with continuity, characterisation or believability; in fiction and non-fiction, the beta might also assist the author with fact-checking"

• It seems they aren't necessary but can be helpful if they are good

• personally yes. but there are some out there that seem to do well without. although i find id be second guessing myself far too much without an editor.

• I think it doesn't hurt to have extra pairs of eyes. They might catch something that was missed previously

• I'm an aspiring author and i have no idea wtf beta readers are.

• I found our about them while looking for writing advice articles:

"Beta readers are not explicitly proofreaders or editors, but can serve in that context. Elements highlighted by beta readers encompass things such as plot holes, problems with continuity, characterisation or believability; in fiction and non-fiction, the beta might also assist the author with fact-checking"

• Well yea they seem necessary because other readers might not give advice for anything, might only complain, only point out the flaws etc.

• I think they're advised, with good feedback from the beta readers you can improve your book to assure it is an appreciated book.

• I would like to think that they are totally un-necessary BUT am always open to improvement and opinions... even when my ego isn't.

• I haven't really heard of them but per your update, I probably wouldn't.