What do you consider to be art?

Title says it all.

I MIGHT be including some of these opinions for a mytake, so if you dont want your opinion or name included, just say so.

I believe anything with a meaning or deeper beauty is art. Writing, photography, modeling, painting etc. It's def. art if it makes me think in my opinion. Horror, fear, disturbing etc. are my favorite kinds of art. Anything macabre and disturbing to most is usually something I enjoy :)
What do you consider to be art?

Also, what's your favorite style of art?
Also music! Forgot to include that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSAYkdAdV-w

Most Helpful Guy

• I think anything that expresses human creativity is art. My favorite form of art is language arts, probably the novel first, but I also like poetry, short stories, and novellas. Oh, and riddles, but that might be considered poetry, I'm not really sure.

Most Helpful Girl

• If someone says something is art, then I believe it's art..
    Even if I'm unimpressed.
    Apparently art can be anything so.. yeah.
    Whether you play in your own feces, take a picture and can it art, or if you draw a huge ass red line on top of a blue background and sell it for 1 billion dollars.
    Meh.

What Guys Said 12

• I think it's anything people *create* by *choice* ('for fun' even) rather than necessity.

That covers a huge range of things, and the much narrower idea of art that we're all familiar with is a matter of opinion and prestige. Anything within my definition could have been seen by society as 'art' if the dice rolled a different way - and opinion could always turn a different direction in future.

This definition means that the wonderful thing about art is it is playful, a celebration of our imagination, and of the freedom that we humans truly have whenever we have done enough to keep ourselves alive for the time being. To engage with art on this basis brings delight, peace, and connectedness to each other.

• My favourite kind of art is probably sculpture/jewellery.

• My definition is very loose. Just a form of self expression. It can be literally almost anything. Painting drawing to a physical activity. It's something that brings catharsis to the individual.

• Art is whatever an artist deems to be art.

Whether it's good or not is a separate question. Plenty of art is crap.

I'm trying to think of visual art I could link, but the two paintings that have struck me the most in the past year or so... both of them look nothing on a photo like they do in real life. Both had an inner light that was jaw dropping. One of them I first saw from a distance and it was hard to believe it wasn't backlit. Extraordinary.

• You've reminded me of John Atkinson Grimshaw's paintings, which I love and everyone should see. He creates such a realistic sense of light that I struggle to stop looking.

• When I think of art, I think of Mona Lisa, the Sistine Chapel, and Da Vinci's The Last Supper. I don't think about the filth you posted in the question.

• That's one thing about art that I like. It's filth to me but beautiful to you.

• any form of self expression besides sports

• I guess anything really. I think the only rule is that the creator honestly feels it's art.

• Anything that looks appealing and is created by a creature

• 1,3,5 looks pretty good

• art is to me something that touches you personally deep down in your gut

• Beautiful women are works of art.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 11

• Drawing, painting, cooking, textiles, sculpting, jewelry making, interior design, tattoos, and sometimes graffiti.

• Anything that makes me feel something. If I look at something and I'm hit with some intense emotion a a result, then it's art in my eyes. Maybe that's why people call beautiful women works of art ;)

• The last one is nice. I like the depth and the prespective

• Dont forget music, even a song with only instruments can tell a beautiful story.

• Those images don't creep you out? They all look like suffering and pain. I define art as just anything someone intended to be art. And anything in nature since it's gorgeous... except for evil bugs lol

• I consider everything to be art really. It's all about being creative and doing what you want.

• Any self expression that invokes emotion. It could be music, could be a painting, could be a poem

• Anything creative that holds my interest and effects my mood.

• Everything is art :) I <3 Art

• For me, art is something that the artist do to show or express his/her thought.

• Art is if somebody else will pay to have it