Why do people think that they are photographers because they have an iPhone?

This question applies to anyone with a smartphone, really.

Most Helpful Girl

• lmao why do people think they're a "model" just because their friend has a canon and took some photos. Both are a joke and I don't get it, stop inflating your worth it'a sad

Most Helpful Guy

• Because they see that the image looks sharp and they think they took a great picture, when in reality, there's much more in order to make a photograph look great, but many have never taken basic classes of photography or video, so they don't know.

What Girls Said 6

• Because people think if they can take a photo, that makes them photographers. Especially when they throw a filter on it to make it "artsy". Cause apparently that's all that real photographers do, according to some people I know. As a photographer myself, I rarely take artistic looking photos with my phone. I reserve my phone's camera for photos of my dog, friends, and random things I find funny. I have a professional camera for my profession. Not just an iPhone, no matter how good of photos those things can take nowadays.

• Just because they can take good pictures doesn't mean they believe they're photographers. I am an ASPIRING photographer, and I had an Iphone. The camera was a lot better than the REAL camera I had so I used my phone more often. Doesn't mean I think I'm a photographer now.

• Buy a cheap manual film SLR. That's the best way to learn.

• I believe so, not sure.

• Considering your age, it most likely was (no offense meant, of course).

The problem with digital is that you have to spend a ton of money to get the same quality that you could get from a cheap camera body and a good lens when you shoot film.

• because they think filters make them photographers

• because its like an iPhone dude and it has like a way cool camera so like I am now a photographer and I get to like take pictures of like everything dude

• Have an i-phone. I do not think i'm a photographer. But those that do think that, maybe because of the good camera quality.

• Because of the quality of the camera...

• An iPhone (or any cellphone, for that matter) will never equal a full-size 35mm sensor in an SLR or a real film camera (or medium or large format). There's an art and a science to photography. It's more than just snapping a photo.

• That's true... but don't forget the Instagram filters
      TBH... I really don't understand the craze either..

• Don't even get me started on Instagram... haha

What Guys Said 4

• To me, 'Photography' will always be film, and a dark room, and the 'ART' of the image, in Monochrome.
    This modern digital sht has destroyed the 'Art' of making the image!! Taking the shot is just the start. The rest is in the Dark Room, and dodging/burning, to make the RIGHT image, to express what you were feeling, taking the shot!!

• I have a Pentax 6x7 and Canon AE-1, A-1, and T-90, but film is just too expensive now. I mostly draw.

• no place*

• Find a way!! It is worth it!! All you need is a place that you can make completely dark, a table, a water line, a drain line!! I have a basement bathroom and I hacked in some new lines, and made a darkroom. Probably a minor code violation, but 'cop didn't see it, I didn't do it!!" Right? Google it, and see what the 'Renegades' do!!

• just like people think they are nerds because they are on ubuntu

• Never noticed...

• What I wanna know is why and how this hobby and photographer name has turned into something of a status symbol, can't even enjoy it anymore