What is art? What makes it good or bad? And who decides?

Most Helpful Girl

• art1
    ärt/Submit
    noun
    1.
    the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.
    "the art of the Renaissance"
    synonyms: fine art, artwork
    "he studied art"
    2.
    the various branches of creative activity, such as painting, music, literature, and dance.
    "the visual arts"

Art is good if it has detail, depth etc. i think the artist decides if its art

What Girls Said 2

• Similar to beauty because it's bound to subjectivity but it differs from beauty in that BEING beautiful requires no talent and CREATING beauty does. So to ME personally if something didn't require talent (i. e. skill or hard work and dedication) it is NOT art.

• Art, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

What Guys Said 7

• So, I remember reading an article about a dude who won like, 100k something in cash just for displaying his improv art, which was like just a lightbulb turning off and on in a dark room.

That's when I realized, I don't think art is completely defined. That's just it, it's the study of relativity and perspectives. It's not about the art itself, but more about what the art makes YOU feel.

YOU may think this drawing is a piece of shit, while another person thinks it is genius. And I think that's what art seeks to focus on, how a certain piece relates to you and you alone.

• The title makes it art

upload.wikimedia.org/.../...-Duchamp_Fountaine.jpg

"The original Fountain by Marcel Duchamp photographed by Alfred Stieglitz at the 291 (Art Gallery) after the 1917 Society of Independent Artists exhibit. Stieglitz used a backdrop of The Warriors by Marsden Hartley to photograph the urinal. The entry tag is clearly visible.[1]"

• To me, art is about the meaning behind a work. How it moves someone to feel.

As much as I appreciate the works of the realist masters of the late 1800s, I can't stand the contemporary realist movement's insistence on what is and isn't "art." To them, art must be traditional (paper and pencil/pen, canvas and paint) and it must accurately depict our world.

I personally prefer imaginative and surrealist art. Anyone can paint/draw a still life or portrait given enough training and practice. You might as well just take a photograph. To create something from your mind, however, goes far beyond that.

• "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."
    Such is true for art of any kind.

• IT'S WHAT THE PEOPLE LACK IN THEIR NORMAL DAY TO DAY LIVES.

• Art is a creative, original work that conveys a message to the viewer. It's good if it takes skill to create and can either deliver a message or cause the viewer to consider something they would not have, if not for the art work. It's not good if it's easily reproduced, has no apparent meaning, or if it relies on something other than the art itself to impart value.

• Art is any form of creativity, and whether or not it's good or bad is really in the eye of beholder. Though technical aspects should not be ignored.