Will Nintendo go under, end of a era?

Nintendo had a terrible failure with the Wii U and they have gone from a industry leader to a sideshow. They used to have their own press conference at E3 and now they have a digital even that many people don't even watch. They still have iconic characters and bring out some good games but they are not competing at the same level. They have reduced themselves to a gimmick company instead of innovating on top of having a solid product.
Nintendo insists that the power of a system doesn't matter but because the Wii U wasn't up to par they basically had no 3rd party games on the Wii U so people who only bought 1 console were not going to buy a Wii U because it didn't have most of the big games that were coming out.

Sony and Microsoft are already preparing to launch even more powerful systems but Nintendo insists that power doesn't matter. If the NX doesn't succeed it could spell the end for a giant in the industry and a brand that every child used to know. I personally don't hope so but it doesn't look good.

Most Helpful Girl

• thats horrible ):

• Don't be too worried just yet. This is still speculation at this point there are just some things that are not pointing in a great direction but anything can happen. We don't have inside info on what they're working on maybe they have a secret weapon :P.

Most Helpful Guy

• I'll reserve my judgement until the NX releases

What Girls Said 2

• That's because the other companies are brainless shooter fanatics and everyone else only cares about brain dead shooter games. Though playstation has some games that aren't retarded shooters. The wii U didn't do well because they didn't have a huge name game coming out with it and people didn't like the tablet control look, it has nothing to do with the power it had.

Nintendo is the only company that actually thinks about this kind of think logically and doesn't give into the billions of mouth-breathers.

Power doesn't matter because the games are all that matters. People who only focus on graphics and power are mouth-breathers and only play boring games.

Because of how other companies just have the stupid shooters I really do hope with the NX it's kicks both their asses.

Nintendo has existed for 127 years and has been around selling games for 44 years. Which they have failed miserably before with other things they tried to do that was different. Plus Nintendo was the only one giving game play looks for some of the games they have coming out and the other companies just had flashy trailers that showed nothing.

• yes (: up vote!

• Lol I don't like Microsofte either really but I think it's funny how much you hate them :) Why do you hate them exactly is there a story behind it, a reason? Maybe the Xbox One launch? Or is it just like a instant disike thing?

• The games that come on Microsoft are the ones I dislike and I hate the fans that they have majority of the time.

Though I'm becoming disappointed in the games play station is getting now. Like the ones making final fantasy have ruined that series and makes the games flashy and not what they used to be about.

• They cater to different markets. My nephews and neices love them, and they're geared towards families I think.

What Guys Said 21

• Nintendo has decided not to compete directly with Microsoft and Sony. They have a different philosophy and business model that they follow. They cater more to kids and parents with children. They also have 3DS models that do very well for them when compared to others on the market. Nintendo will be around for a long time. They won't die off like Sega did.

• We'll see I hope you're right I don't want them to fail. The next hardware release by them will be very interesting to watch that's for sure.

• For being around 127 years now I would hope they wouldn't die off just like that. XD

• I think Nintendo is going to be ok. The Wii U wasn't great compared to PS and Xbox, but thata not the only product they sell. They also compete in a niche market for young children which PS and Xbox aren't as tight a niche in that respect. Nintendo as a company is very profitable and their state of their company is good, but they have suffered a large decrease in stock value over the last couple of years. Their products are still of the highest quality and have really great brand recognition and in a way have their own culture.

• I don't know I feel like their influence has gone down a lot, unless they can come up with something like motion control for the Wii that everybody wanted to try out they're gonna be in trouble. Kids grow up pretty quickly nowadays and there's plenty of kid games you can buy on a PS4 indie games and stuff and it looks like the next big thing is VR and Sony looks to be in the best position in that market at so the space for Nintendo is getting smaller and smaller. They need a hit with this console or they're in serious trouble. Their characters are still very valuable so somebody will want to continue that if they're in serious danger. Maybe Sony will buy them that would be a crazy move but Sony already has a ton of game studios so they could integrate the Nintendo game studios into their other ones ad then they could either decide to continue making Nintendo hardware but with better management or just scrap the nintendo hardware and put everything on PS.

• I think after the SNES, they did good with the N64, but by the time they got to Gamecube and Wii the competition became a lot more harder than before.

The next thing they really should try is to stay current and take advantage of current newer technologies such as the whole Virtual Reality headset technologies. Wait, they actually kind of tried that before with Virtual Boy but that definitely was flop, but who knows? Maybe this time it might be different and they might even surprise gamers.

• I'm praying to every imaginable god that it doesn't- Nintendo is my favourite games company D:
    Like others have said, they don't seem to be trying to compete with Sony and Microsoft face to face. They're just doing their own groovy thing.
    Anyway, even though I don't have one (too much work to do + friend has one), I think the WiiU has some great games- they can just seem a bit weird to outsiders, which I think is the main problem. The same goes for most of their advertising, but I think they're getting better at that slowly.
    That's just my opinion anyway ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Nintendo sells handhelds very well. They also have enough money to fail at least a couple more consoles and still be above water. The Wii was the most successful console of all time regardless of whether we liked it or not and that was underpowered.

Anyway all consoles are weak to PC 😇

• Nintendo may go under. But it will nevwr go from our hearts.
    I used to love play pokemon as a kid, with my friends and trade and battle. The feelings were out of the world. Its still nostalgic to think about it.
    Mario, pokemon and all were a different type of fun. The other ganes of sony and microsoft are cool but they lack this attachment. Still at my age, i dont enjoy pokemon that much anymore. Sad but true. That used to be what my life revolved around at a time.
    Now id just play some games from time to time.. But im not really interested in it that much

• Pokemon is still awesome! Although I don't play anymore because I don't have time to build and level up Pokemon anymore.

• @Prof_Don yeah.. kinda lost interest. I guess i dobt have that feeling that i had as a kid anymore

• Probably

• No company stays an industry leader forever. I ask why is this a great concern to you. It may take 100 years or it may take five but somebody is going to replace Sony and Microsoft in this games war. Microsoft used to dominate the operating system's war, Eastman Kodak used to be the company in photography, now that part of the company went bankrupt. So interesting as Kodak invented digital photography but didn't do anything about it. IBM is a totally different company than it was 20 years ago. Apple was near bankruptcy 20 years ago now they are a leader. Xerox was so powerful that the term Xerox became generic, "we need to Xerox 10 copies of that? Now they are in information systems company as the Japanese have taken over Xerography. Go back further, General Electric had the model for electricity, then Westinghouse developed AC current. Now General Electric sold their small appliance division and they concentrate on jet engines and nuclear power stations. My point being sure Nintendo may go under – that's the way the corporate ball bounces.

• Well Nintendo is more than a corporation to a lot of people. I for instance remeber playing pokemon on a gameboy color as a kid or playing Smash Bros with friends, that's great fun. This company was part of many people's childhood, not yours it seems but a lot of people care what happens to them. Also there's not many companies competing in the market at the moment so if they go under the quality will probably suffer because of less competition. Microsoft is trying combining PC and Xbox by making all the games available on both so they're less focused on console gameing so if Nintendo is gone there will only be 1 true console gaming company and it will be monopoly time pretty much. There will still be different game developers of course but in hardware pretty much only Sony will be left.

• Of course it wasn't part of mine. I admit to being an old man. I was playing Pong in Big Daddy's Franchise Bar with an erection over some girl on a barstool in 1967. I cried when Lionel trains went under. But my examples are reality. The quality may suffer in your eyes, your perception, but there will not be less competition. Look at the competition that arose against Blackberry. I understand your affection for Nintendo and if they go under it will be the end of an era. But if that is the case it will only be following history I will cite one other example and I hope this one shocks you. The best car is considered to be the Rolls-Royce. Are you with me? The Rolls-Royce is no longer made by Rolls-Royce. The company Rolls-Royce makes jet engines, They are in competition with Pratt & Whitney and General Electric. The Rolls-Royce automobile is now made by BMW.

• There's a lot of things i don't agree with their strategies...

by the way, it seems they are making a Super mario animation movie. That seems interesting.

• They have been around for over 100 years they are not dead yet.

• No. I think they will go under if they try to copy current consoles. There names are keeping them alive as it stands. They have started looking into phone games and that's a good choice.

Nintendo isn't like microsoft or sony. It's only the game company. They know there own market.

• Its the new Nokia, except more bust.

The company was innovative at the time, but failed to adapt to the new era of gaming.

• PS4 MASTER RACE

• nintendo has financial reserves to maintain existence as a company for 50 years. i think they can take a couple failures, its not like nintendo is like sega.

• well i just saw this new Link game they're releasing and it looks like they are still coming out with some top notch console-seller games

• Nah dud... I am going to buy the SHIT out of the new Zelda!

• I read somewhere that in the uk there are more wiis than cats.

• I don't like nintendo consoles

• Maybe they won't be as big as they used to be but they'll always be around. I read they can lose 250 million dollars a year for 40 years and still be in business. They aren't going anywhere.

• I really really hope not but I understand the concern. I agree with some of the other opinions they probably will get away with it for awhile longer

There philosophy has proven to work to a certain extent, they won the 16 bit Era by being safe and family friendly and they have a lot of the most known and trusted franchises in gaming,
    For example when it gets close ti Christmas and some Soccer mom goes to game stop without a clue what to get her young kids, she probably will get the newest kid friendly Nintendo console with Mario or Pokémon, instead of getting them "violent" games like Halo or God of war haha

I am very worried like you are, I dont like seeing dynasties fall,

• no, and i dont think wii u was a fialure

• Well it doesn't matter what you think it matters how many they sold and they got obliterated by the PS4 and the Xbox One. Remember they had a whole year to sell Wii U consoles before the Xbox One and PS4 released so they were the most advanced system on the market for a whole year but they got overtaken so easily. PS4 has sold over 40 million, Xbox One around 20 million and the Wii U in 4 years 12-13 million but it's not just that they got beaten badly. It damaged their image. The console was seen as inferior and kind of a joke by many gamers. An d people didn't like it that much if they bought it. So you can spin it any way you like but it was not a success.