Who here knows an actual style of dancing?

Sure dancing is art and can be subjective but I'm just curious to see if anyone knows any learned dancing styles and not just the bobbing and grinding in clubs. I for instance know swing (east coast), ballroom, the merengue, the cha-cha, tango, and salsa although I'll be honest, the latin styles of dance I'm still learning and not super great at them. My preferred styles to dance to are swing and ballroom.

Most Helpful Girl

• To say that I have two left feet would be the understatement of the century... but, I married a dancer, and he had me dancing the tango like a champion in just a few months.
    The short-term goal was just to have a dance for our wedding, but, even after 16+ years together, he'll still do things like pull over into an empty parking lot and have a spontaneous milonga with just me and him. <3

Shakira notwithstanding, my hips definitely *do* lie... hahahah I'm as stiff as a board when I try to dance most of the time. I have NEVER been able to do that whole snake-slither hip thing that's necessary for most other Latin dances.
    Luckily, the tango doesn't require that.

Slightly relevant:
    I used the tango as an analogy for... making love, in my opinion here:
    www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q2026787-do-girls-or-guys-do-the-most-work-while-having-sex

Most Helpful Guy

• I do Irish dance. I've been doing it since I was 5. But I might quit soon because my teacher is retiring and I am going to have to find a new dance studio, and the good studios are all in the next state over and I would need a car to get there but I don't have a car at the moment. Plus it's expensive and there are other things that I think I want to try

What Girls Said 11

• I’ve been a trained dancer for about 17 years. I’ve been trained in ballet, contemporary, lyrical, jazz, hip-hop, and ballroom. I was also trained in belly dancing but I wouldn’t call myself a “trained belly dancer” because I only had one year of training as opposed to belly dancers I know who train for five years or 15 years. Was more of just a fun thing to do that was easy to pick up because I already knew how to use my hips but the more challenging part was dancing with my abs.

• 1|0
  • never taken professional classes for dancing and I don't know the name of steps at all but I know how to dance salsa and bachata I learned from my family

• Well, I've been dancong for over 7 plus years. I know bachata, salsa, merengue, cumbia, belly dancing, reggeaton, etc. Ballroom dancing is sooo easy lol

• lol it is, but its also the easiest to teach if you want to dance with someone.

• I used to get ballet training for figure skating - though that wasn't really dancing, just stretching and the figures.

• Me
    I love ballet

• I did (amateur) ballet and contemporary for 14 years. I also know a few basic steps of salsa and rock & roll and such, but that's nothing serious.

• I line dance. Not sure if you consider that a style.

• Contemporary, jazz, hip-hop

• Nope I've never taken a dance class.

• Lol. I can't dance to save my life

What Guys Said 9

• I like to do a very modern interpretative kind of off-rhythm dance, usually after a dozen jagermeister shots.

• Oooh oooh I do I do. I'm a beginner, grant you, but I know the cha cha, salsa, the jitterbug, waltz, merengue, tango bachata, to name s few. I take beginner ballroom and Latin dance classes every Thursday at Lorraine Michael's dance school (I think that's the name of the place), but it's a lot of fun.

• I Latin dance, salsa and bachata

• I know the salsa, waltz, and ballroom. Oh and I'm a master at the cupid shuffle

• I learn Salsa and Bachata, i've had a couple of lessons of Kizomba and i've watched a few lessons of Reggateon

Seeing a theme here?

• nothing but the worm.

• I once stuck a fork in a electric socket
    Does that count?

• I mosh, dose that count

• Improvise