Why do musicians lead such tragic lives?

I watched a biography on Jaco pastorius on Netflix this weekend. It didn't hit me til a few days later and I cried like a baby. He became addicted to drugs an was killed. Just pitiful. Then I watched Minnie riperton on unsung and I cried too. Both so talented and died so tragically at a young age. I used to want to be a singer but now I'm glad I'm not. Just a little nostalgia always lingers.

Most Helpful Guy

• Jaco was mentally unstable as well; yet so superbly brilliant. Very, very sad! Minnie was a tragedy as well. "to whom much is given, much is required"

What Guys Said 5

• I loved Mininie Ripperton... that sound was so sweet. Didn't realize how she died.

Music is a creative and expressive thing, a right brain activity. not so much logic, but letting go and experiencing. So much of what people have to express is not the good things... loss of love, failed love, war, sorrow, etc.. Its hard to make sense of. So many of them get into drugs to feel good and open that expression. I think there is stress in trying to figure out how to express sometimes... and perfect... All that leads to bad influences?

Could there be a lot of stress in performing, living the life, touring and such... if in fact there is higher incidence of premature death?

I suspect a lot of Christian singers, performers are not living tragic lives... so there may be something to finding a place of solace and performing about something heart warming vs things that may be constant reflection on saddness and negativity.

I stopped listening to the Eagles music because of that... played it on guitar, loved the sound... butso much of it was depressing to me. gave it up. ditto most TV. Its junk food...

thoughts?

• Yes, it's very tragic that so many musicians have died so young. It's interesting to me that you know about Jaco Pastorius. Probably not many people on GAG know about him, and how great a bassist he was. I discovered him because I listen to and admire Joni Mitchell's music. Jaco played with her for a few of her albums and tours. He was an amazing player.

• Yes that's how I found out about him through Joni Mitchell an my mom loved weather report and spyro gyra. So after she died I decided to start listening to her music. That's how I found out about jaco. But so tragic.

• Check out Netflix bio on jaco it's great

• Thank you for recommending the Netflix bio.

• He wasn't killed. He also had severe mental health problems. Overall they don't it's just the few famous ones that get the attention

• yes seems that way like buddy holly or sam cooke they just vanish too young for whatever reason?

• Women , fortune and fame drugs , alcohol

That sound like the life to me

What Girls Said 3

• I think it's more, people with tragic lives tend to be musicians. It's about expression. Music is one of the best ways to express pain.

• I think it's because it's not easy to deal with fame. I think you need to have a strong personality in order to take all the pressure and problems that come with it.

• Not all. Lots of them live beautiful and amazing lives. Some just aren't as lucky or they get too carried away with fame. Fame changes some people but not all. I can name plety of people that are very famous and still sane lol. I really want to be a singer