What are some good books you have read recently?

Looking for something I might enjoy.

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• Just finished Chad Harbach's "The Art of Fielding," which I think is worth a read for anyone, even those who don't care about sports or baseball. It's not really about either, though the main character is a baseball player in college.

Beyond that, I'm mostly a student of the classics, which means I usually don't bother recommending books because nobody will ready them. :P My list of favorites reads like an English professor's syllabus.

• tell me your favourite classics!

• Heavy stuff, but, in honor of the author's passing on Saturday, we should all pick up Elie Wiesel's Night/Dawn/Day trilogy, read it, and reflect on what should never happen again.

Lest we forget.

• That was supposed to be my own opinion, sry.

What Girls Said 14

• The last book I actually finished was a famous book, Arthur C. Clarke's Rendezvous with Rama, which was of course fantastic, although it lost a lot of its tension towards the end. An empty spaceship is infinitely more exciting than a populated one. But it's a bold book - worth reading!

Then I started two books, which I haven't finished reading yet (I am very slow with reading because of dyslexia) - Riverfinger Women by Elana Dykewomon, and another famous book, Crime and Punshment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky. Both began tremendously beautifully, and I intend to finish them eventually.

If you'll allow broadening the defintion of book to include websites (making it an extremely broad definition), then I've been reading the poems of Catallus, who I love, as archived on negenborn. net. This is my favourite so far:

"Flavius, unless she were unpretty and inelegant, you would want to speak
    of your darling to Catullus and you wouldn't be able to keep quiet, but
    you love some feverish harlot. You are ashamed to admit this. For your bed
    shouts that you, vainly quiet, do not lie for empty nights fragrant with
    garlands and Syrian ointment, and the bolster equally worn away on this
    side and that, and the creaking and movement of your shaking bed. There's
    no point in being quiet about your debauchery. Why? You would not reveal
    such tired from debauchery flanks unless you were up to something silly. Therefore
    tell us whatever you have, whether its good or bad. I want to describe you
    and your love to the sky in my nice little verse."

that's hiarious!!! get fucking dunked on, flavius!! oh my god!! I've also been reading Sappho - which is lifechanging, and takes about five minutes in total - and Francois Villon, who murdered a priest! and is a tremendous poet.

• Hmmm, I have this book of 13 scary stories collected from the American South.
    www.mcdowellsemporium.com/.../108144.jpg
    My favorite so far is the tale from Louisiana.

I'm also rereading the Game of Thrones books by George R. R. Martin. I'm on book 2, and am loving Arya's story.

• Currently reading 'Das Kapital' by Karl Marx. It proposes and interesting economic concepts and critiques to known concepts, but the material is exceedingly hard to grasp. I wouldn't imagine that it would be your kind of book.

For an objectively well-written novel, I'd recommend "A Thousand Splendid Suns".

• You're extremely vague. We don't know the taste of books you like yo read so we can't suggest based on the classifications you like.

• Well I was more looking for what other people liked that they read recently, and then if something sounds fun I might take a further look.

• Thank you for sharing, will check them out.

• @Artist20 For the history aspect: The Making of the West: Peoples and Cultures, Vol. 1: To 1740 3rd Edition by Lynn Hunt, Thomas R. Martin, Bonnie G. Smith, Barbara H. Rosenwein, and R. Po-chia Hsia

The Making of the West: Peoples and Cultures, Vol. 2: Since 1500 by Lynn Hunt, Bonnie G. Smith, Thomas R. Martin, Barbara H. Rosenwein, R. Po-chia Hsia

The Social Dimension of Western Civilization, Vol. 1: Readings to the Seventeenth Century by Richard M. Golden

The Social Dimension of Western Civilization, Vol. 2: Readings from the Sixteenth Century to the Present by Richard M. Golden

There's a few more I have as well that are specific to certain wars and events, certain cultures and whatnot.

• Mr. Tompkins in Wonderland by George Gamow (Popular Science)
    Surely You are Joking, Mr. Feynman by Richard Feynman (Autobiography)
    Godfather by Mario Puzo

• Recently I finished The Glass House and liked it. What genre do you like? Currently I'm reading The Night Circus and it's interesting and different.

• 1. Lost in Shangri-La, good story when in 1945 a plane was lost and destroyed in far off forest. Some were killed, survivals fate, their rescue and safe return. A captivating study.
    2. The Age of Austerity : How Scarcity Will Remake American Politics. It's also a good study.

• Rick yancey's monstrumologist series, max corrigan how to rule the school, and marie lu's young elites series.

• "Don't be sad"

• Lan Yu

• Sarah's key

• Tbh, I haven't read anything in soooooo long.

• Disgrace
    The kite runner
    A thousand splendid suns

• Origin by Jessica Khoury
    Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton
    Vanishing Girls by Lauren Oliver
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore
    Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

What Guys Said 15

• Strawberry Shortcake's Berry Merry Christmas.

Read it couple weeks ago. I really enjoyed it.
    Favorite character was Honey the horse.

• Maybe you would like "SQL Server Internals" or maybe John Cleese's autobiography "So, Anyway..."

• I can recommend Franz Kafka - Metamorphosis

• Some mediocre stuff.. nothing that stands out.

• What sort of genre are you interested in?

• Good question. Currently reading Intelligent Investor by Ben Graham.

• Shakespeare the tempest

• Last thing I read was some book about trophology, been looking into nutrition and stuff lately.

• Out - Natsuo Kirino for me it was a page turner.

• A Father's Promise!

• Snow Crash.

• standarts

• GAG,
    GOogle not really

• Hamlet by Shakespeare

• The bible