Happy 4th! Did you see an American taking out the #1 Wimbledon seed?

I know tennis isn't exactly a huge topic here at GaG but there was a very big upset today at Wimbledon: American Sam Querrey just beat Novak Djokovic.

If you're unfamiliar, this gigantic because of the numbers: Djokovic is one of the most dominant players in tennis history and had won the last FOUR Grand Slams. In 27 Majors, he's never lost in the 3rd round. He's by far and away the #1 player in the world and came into Wimbledon on a 30-match winning streak. Querrey, on the other hand, is a solid player but he's never cracked the top 10 and certainly has never won a Major. He has some singles titles but as the 29 seed in this competition, and with an 0-9 record against #1 seeds in majors, nobody gave him any chance to beat Novak.

Also, American men haven't done much of anything in this sport since the days of Sampras, Agassi and Roddick, and the last time an American ousted a #1 seed at Wimbledon was way back in 2002 (Agassi over Hewitt). So, congrats to Sam! :) And on July 4th weekend, too.

Most Helpful Guy

• Thank you so much for the good news. Now, FedEx's chances has been considerably increased. 😃
    I can't believe the dream #GS18 could become a reality. But it's too early to celebrate. :)

Congrats to this wonderful player. I hope he can achieve a lot in his career.

• Weeell, sports really does fall into Arts & Entertainment and frankly, we just don't get a lot of sports content from users, questions or Takes. Maybe if we HAD a sports channel, we'd get more, but I'm not ready to bank on that...

• Didn't know that it falls under that category. You mean, from a spectator's point of view? Maybe.

Oh yeah. Of course. Users like me are great sports enthusiasts, but we don't post because there's no category for that.

No problem, boss.

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 7

• That's huge! Djokovic is a beast in tennis, and there hasn't been a high level American men's tennis player since Andy Roddick (injury bug got to him)

• You could say John Isner is up there (he frequently flirts with the top 10) but as he's never won a Major, it's hard to put him among the very best.

• Everyone starts somewhere, we will see how he develops over the years.

• Who, Isner? He's not really starting out... been around for a while now. :)

• I don't like that guy so I'm glad he lost. Now Federer won't have to face him which is good news. I just want Federer to win lol

• What's wrong with Djokovic?

• Nobody's better than the Federer. Djokovic is just lucky he never faced young Federer lol

• That's arguable.

• Holy, that's crazy.
    Congratz to that dude, can't even imagine how ecstatic he would be rn.

• Yea opening the gates for Federer vs Murray 2016

• Steve Johnson of the USA is fucked against Federer though.

• Johnson has 0 chance. And I am an American, but I am also realistic.

• Plus, Thiem and Zverev are OUT. Steve Johnson blows. Federer has a good draw to the Finals. I like Federer for the title even though Murray is a tough competitor especially since he is back with Lendl.

My guess is Federer vs Murray in the final. Fed in 5. Fed retires next year.

• I don't normally like tennis. I tuned in accidentally on the fourth set and could not help but watch. Very exciting! Great win for Sam.

• I did not

• 4th? But it's still 2nd, right?