Do you believe Beyonce is an artist? What is an artist to you?

I recently was looking at a James Corden parody of Beyonce's Lemonade. A certain person commented "This is so much better than beyonce. Then again pretty much everything is so. Yerp."

After people defended Beyonce, he replied:

"why, because I have the balls to not be a sheep follower of bullshit manufactured music and actually have an opinion that's different from all you clones that hail mediocrity as a godsend? Fuck outta here. You go be a sheep. Fuck the status quo. "

Then he went and said:

"She's not an artist. An artist creates their OWN shit and doesn't have a team of 100 people creating her visual image, writing her lyrics FOR her, choreographing her dance routines FOR her, playing her instruments FOR her, she's an industry PUPPET and you're just a sucker that buys a manufactured product."

I personally believe an artist can be a multitude of things. Beyonce has been in the industry for a long time and I think she is a fantastic artist. To me, he insulted a lot of dancers as he said that since she does not choreograph her own dance routines, then she's no artist. You can be a dancer, but not a choreographer. Also, who's to say they do all of her dance routines. We don't know for sure what goes on backstage. She worked hard to get to where she is and she has an amazing singing voice and has an incredible stage presence as a performer.

Most Helpful Guy

• She's an artist for sure just overrated.

Most Helpful Girl

• Sorry but Beyonce is manufactured shite. She doesn't create anything, artists create things from what they feel. Following dance moves isn't creative, it's being good at following instructions. Beyonce is good at her job, but she isn't an artist. She doesn't create. Her job is being a pop star.

What Guys Said 24

• Beyoncé is a total stage bitch. She has a bad attitude and it just plain rude. No talent at all and just screams with provocative clothing lyrics that she doesn't even create herself. If you want musical talent look for people who craft their own beats and have a positive outlook on life like Drake, Rihanna, Justin Timberlake, etc

• She's a performance artist, almost everyone from hollywood and in music is this type of artist. Thats why there are so many crossover actor/'musicians'.

Nothing wrong with it, but other elitist type artists who want to think they're better than others frown on performance art. Beyonce is just one example. I'm not sure I can think of 5 original artists that write their own material AND perform it.

• No she's not an artist. She is a performer and and singer, a dancer (not sure if she's actually good at dancing or the real dancers are making her look good), and maybe she's an actor (Austin powers 3).

An artist is so. e one who creates, not follows and does what they are told.

Leslie Feist, she is an artist, the Red Hot Chili Peppers are artists, Jimi Hendrix experience are artists, Beethoven an artist.

Beyonce was picked as an artist because her father was a music manager or something, she was always pushed to the front of that girl group she was in.

She is an industry money maker

• If she's not responsible for the creation of what she does, then no, she's not an artist. But I don't know if she is part of that or not. I guess she at least is part of some of the lyrics, right? If so, she's an artist, even though she has others help her write her music.

But anyways, if she's an artist, she's a shitty one.

• Only a con artist. Beyoncé is a race baiting whore who profiteers off gullible white girls who think they're being empowered by a married woman dressing up like a stripper to sing about police brutality crap and sex. Who knew such genius words existed as "I take him to Red Lobster when he slay me good"? Certainly not I.

• no Beyoncé is not an artist to me...
    An artist (in the musical sense of the term) is someone who writes his own lyrics, plays his own music and worked his ass off with pain and dedication to get where he is (Dave Grohl is a perfect example)...
    Music comes from your heart and soul... it is an expression of what you feel and what you think that is why people can relate to that... deeply relate to a music genre or an artist... Besides "She a stupid Hoe" or "I love fat asses" Nicki Minaj doesn't communicate anything... (not that she write her own lyrics or makes her own beat or doesn't autotune her voice... OH WAIT she does)

People like Beyoncé are NOT artists.

• nothing against her but performers love to be known as artists it seems but although they might be great and put on a good show they are not artists, A artist to me is folk like sam cooke or john lennon that actually put pen to paper and create something from nothing alone

• Beyonce look like Jay z with long hair

• Seeing as I:

Don't enjoy her music
    She's designed by people
    She's shamed my gender before
    People love her way too much
    She's a pop singer

She's still an artist, but a crappy one at that

• someone that has a skill which in itself is an artform to produce another art form. for example the skill you need to play a guitar is an art form, but the sound out of the guitar is another art form. that is what an artist is to me.

• I feel like she's become less and less of an artist/singer over the years and more of an entertainer/performer.

• Beyonce is an artist yeah, she sings, she dances, I see that as art

• Most music idols nowadays are actors not musicians. The music, lyrics, content, videos, clothing style, basically everything revolving around music idols nowadays is shit.

• Nope. Just another media whore grabbing attention by trying to be "controversial".

• The music industry is in the art industry, so yeah she's an artist.

• Illuminati lol just joking I'm not really sure what you mean by artist but she's made some good music , although I'm not a huge rnb and urban music fan

• Yes, she is.

• no, she's only where she is since she's pretty.

• I personally have zero interest in mainstream pop. To me it all sounds devoid of... Anything.

But I'm aware plenty of people both like her music and found her lyrics resonated with them. So that's great. It's not to my taste but that doesn't mean it's bad.

It's not clear to me to what extent she has or doesn't have talent vs being a decent singing decent looking woman who achieved and then continues to ride celebrity status. It doesn't matter to me. People enjoy the product great.

• other people write her music.
    other people write her lyrics.
    other people invent her dance moves.

she's a talentless cunt.

• Beyonce is an artist but not in the 'music' category. She's a performer. (I don't see her even as a performer but looking at her effect I'm saying she's one.) She can sing sometimes but I never really liked her songs.

As a singer, her voice is nice but she's alright at singing.
    As a performer, I don't see much appeal personally but she's definitely got charm that people like her.

So is she over-rated? Extremely!
    Is she bad artist? Definitely not!
    And she's not the one, most of pop icons are like her.

• She is a little overrated. She doesn't write her music or even produce it like other greats have.

• She's an entertainer who can sing. I wouldn't classify her an artist because from what I'm aware she does relatively nothing in the creative process. People who write their own music are the true artists.

• Who is Beyonce? I should have to Google it.

What Girls Said 8

• Excuse my French, but what kind of position does that bitter bologna bitch think they're in to judge BEYONCÉ, let alone what an "artist" is. Sure everyone can have their own definitions and what not. But at the end of the day Beyonce's craft is music and if she calls herself an artist she is. Sounds like a hater to me. 🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝

• she's a performer and also provides vocals which makes her a musical artist.

• One of the few people out there that can sing so yeah

• yeah it's annoying when everyone else is brainwashed except you. i hate that.

• She's overrated. She reminds me more of a witch than anything else.

• Beyonce is a racist, and she is not an artist in any way!

• She is an artist because she creates music and videos

• An artist creates and B is known for that, i personally think she is exceptionally good at what she does so much so that she puts a lot of other so called artists in the shade, you can't knock her talent she is known world wide, put her on any stage and she can hold a crowd with her amazing voice/performance, if i can say this and i am not a huge B fan but give credit where it is due this woman is somrthing else, and a force to be reckoned with.