Thoughts on people who major in art?

Most Helpful Guy

• That's a bunch of money to spend on something that will probably never result in a paying job!

Most Helpful Girl

• I think they're artistic, and they're pursuing what they actually love versus what's "important" and what will guarantee them a job with a big salary. Basically they don't take the second aspect into consideration at all, they only want to major on what they love.

What Guys Said 10

• It's pretty cool, even if you can't do anything with it

• There was an A* art student in my P16 who got that grade in her two year art project and was featured in a school gallery. Her project was a black and white photo of her tits. Nothing more, nothing less.
    I don't like art.

• Waste of money

• If it's digital art thats a very high paying job if it's in the field of Animation. Or Games... better to take an online course tho... don't waste money going to a university... you'll regret it later.

• I don't care. It's your education. Do what you want

• They are creative and talented people going for what they want

• Good for them for pursuing what they want

• They are mostly imbeciles. I may or may not include myself.

• it's waste of money, art if a form of expression. not something you learn in a school

• But no one starts out good, they all learn how to express themselves in a better way. So, learning is part of the process.

• @Asker neither did I, but my skill only improved as i got older. I used to draw anime cartoons when I was 5 that I watched on Toonami. Then one time I drew this beautiful picture of a Japanese model in 10th grade. I was surprised on how good it was

It really depends on what type of art and if you're gonna pursue a career that requires it.
      Like learning how to draw to become an artist for a new cartoon, but you don't need school to splash paint on a canvas in an abstract way.

• Yeah, splashing paint you don't need to learn. However, art schools teach you technical skill and help you understand perspective more, so if you value that it's not a waste.

• Artistic, brave and unrealistic (not in any offensive way).

What Girls Said 9

• My sister's best friend majored in art. She loves it and she is very talented.
    Always gets complimented.
    She did this huge painting as a present for my sister etc

I think it's great if they really enjoy it. You can see their love for art through their work.

However, she is finding it a bit hard to find jobs I think.

• I kind of wonder what kind of job prospects they think they have. I also admire those who are talented enough to get through and do well in that major.

• Good on them.

• I have. And tbf it's a really good course. But in the aspect of jobs it's a lot harder to get into

• They must be talented

• You can pick up everything they do in art school and learn it yourself.

• They either have wealthy parents or I assume they are going into law school

• Useless degree

• Useless degree