Question for Led Zeppelin fans?

Stairway to Heaven has a clever lyric line ". . . in a tree by the brook there's a songbird that sings sometimes all of our thought are misgiven" my question is does the songbird sing sometimes or does the songbird sometimes sing "all of our thoughts are misgiven" or does the songbird sing "sometimes all of our thoughts are misgiven"?

Most Helpful Girl

• Interesting. I think "sometimes all our thoughts are misgiven" relates to the previous rhyming group, which is

"There's a sign on the wall
    But she wants to be sure
    'Cause you know sometimes words have two meanings"

So I think he's saying that words are often ambiguous, so sometimes all our thoughts just fill us with fear unnecessarily. I think the songbird is meant to suggest that sometimes people just talk to hear themselves talk, like the songbird sings just for the sake of singing.

• That's a well thought out interpretation. On the live album he introduces the song as a song of hope

• Yes I've heard that. I took a shot, anyhow. TBH, I'd never thought that the bird might be actually singing "sometimes all our thoughts are misgiven." it's an interesting reading of it. I love stuff like this.

• This is a question that's puzzled me for decades

Most Helpful Guy

• Interesting question.
    I always thought this song as a sort of metaphor of a transition from the past to the future.
    Personally, I think it means the latter.

What Girls Said 1

• They are two separate thoughts.
    In a tree by the brook, there's a songbird who sings.
    Sometimes all of our thoughts are misgiven.

What Guys Said 5

• I've always thought it was the last of those three.

• The songbird has nothing to do with the misgivings.

• The way it sounds to me is that the songbird sings those lyrics, but that makes no sense.
    Dont know

• damn i have no idea.

• I think those are actually two separate lines.