What Platform Should I Buy to Play Video Games?

I want to start playing video games.
What platform should I get?

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends on what types of games you want to be playing. If you are a beginner, I'd reccomend a console rather than a PC, because although you can play flash games, and other games on websites on a regular PC, it won't run "real" video games as well as consoles unless you buy a $1000 + gaming PC.

In my opinion, an Xbox One or a PS4 would be your best option, because they have the most variety of video game genres to choose from. Xbox One and PS4 allow you to play any game as long as its not made by Nintendo. You can play mini game anniversaries of old arcade Nintendo games, but you can't play the new titles. If you want to play things like New Super Mario Bros, Mario Kart, Kirby's Adventures in Dreamland, Sonic The Hedgehog, etc., then a Nintendo WiiU is your only current option. If you buy this console, beware that you will be able to play any Nintendo game, but you will be severely limited in anything else that is not exclusive to Nintendo, especially shooter games.

If you do want a console that plays Nintendo games though, I'd recommend waiting until the Nintendo NX comes out, rather than buying the WiiU.

• The only thing to hold someone back from PC gaming is that you'd have to spend more money compared to consoles, especially if you want a really decent or even really high-end gaming laptop. Those easily go between $2500 to around $3000, and I meant really really good gaming laptops. Desktops may be closer to $2000 with overclocking and liquid cooling options which aren't possible on laptops.

• @JudgmentDay
      Yeah. I don't think it would be smart for her to invest so much money just to get a DECENT PC (not necessarily even a GOOD one), since video games might not turn out to be her thing, and she might not use it.

• That's why I also suggested and advised her to look into stuff like gaming Apps for smartphones and tablets. Way more budget friendly and casual. Plenty of options there for Android OS or iOS devices.

Most Helpful Girl

• A gaming laptop is really the best choice if you are a college student like me. I couldn't justify buying a gaming system due to the cost of the system plus accessories not to mention the price of games. I could however, justify a decent gaming laptop because I also use it for school work. It was around the same price as a system. I would love to buy a system but right now it's just not in the cards systems are a lot more money than they use to be.
    However, if you want to try handheld gaming the Nintendo 3DS is pretty affordable now and since it as been out for quite a while there are tons of games to choose from.

What Guys Said 17

• Consoles? I don't own any other than PS3 and PSP right now so I can't recommend between Wii, Wii U, XBox One, or PS4. I've been thinking about getting a PS4 for some time but haven't really had the time to play games lately.

If you have the money go for a good gaming laptop. Again it depends on what your goals are? What do you want to play? What your spending budget is? etc. Gaming laptop is probably more expensive than console options but you can use it for work, or school work and play games. I personally like PC games more than console games all because of this website:

http://www.moddb.com/

But then there's always smartphone apps that are games, same for things like iOS games for iPads, and various gaming apps for Android OS devices like tablets and smartphones. Those would be the most budget friendly and if you're a casual gamer that don't have large amounts of time to invest in playing video games then it's a really good alternative.

• i think playstation is the best console of the major two

wii is kind of niche. very cool but has very different games...

so it kind of depends on what you want. between xbox and playstation i'd say playstation (better games, better controller, free access to playstation network [downloadables, apps, etc])

• seconding @Luvme66 & @bcromartie

get a PC, join master race, no regrets

media.giphy.com/media/QDK1pCI43lGhO/giphy.gif

• MODDB. COM is the real reason and advantage PC games HAVE over consoles.

If you hate the whole DLC micro-transaction business model as much as I do, then you'll understand why I prefer Mods and shit that the Community and Fanbases create and release for their own community and fanbases of their games. Such as Half Life, Quake, Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, etc. Those were the days when custom fan-made free maps and mods had began but console editions? They're limited to whatever the console version has out of the box, can't really tweak and change or mod or customize the game for completely new and different experiences and nowadays sometimes you have to pay lots of $$ for DLCs that don't even have shit that even affect the gameplay!! Such as cosmetic add-ons like custom new skins.

• @JudgmentDay Don't forget about nexus. I wouldn't say that's the only advantage. in general you've got a wider variety of games (sims, grand strategy, classic games and unrestricted servers on top of that). PC does have more added value as it can be used for work and play

When it comes to DLC/Micro transactions blame corporate commander (A. K. A. E. A.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWKboDNv2MM

It's all about the money these days. Did you hear about resident evil umbrellla corps?

There is still hope though, my favorite FPS game right now is from an indie studio. Just rely on the indie market to turn the tables. I remember there was an FPS game created by someone who used to mod doom, I like the look of it but I didn't have any cash at the time. I just can't remember the name of it now. . .

• I would advise getting a PC for these main reasons:

- Backwards compatible for most games so you can play old classics e. g. I played pokemon sapphire a few days ago thanks to emulators

- Free online/multiplayer

- lots of MMO's

- much better hardware and better technology so 1080P native and 60fps or even 4k etc

- Games tend to be cheaper

- many more games that are unavailable on console

- better controllers but you can still use a controller

-mods

-customization

• PS4 OR a decent gaming computer/laptop (if you go that route, download steam.. its free to download and has a ton of great deals). there are pros and cons to both consoles and PC's mind you.

• just be sure to look up the pros and cons for yourself, because A LOT of people are biased for some weird reason towards their gaming platform of choice. that is also why I'm not telling you the pros and cons of both because while I would try to be as non-biased as I could be, I'm a bit more for the PS4/console platform but that's just me.

• alright thanks

• No problem!

• I really like the PS4, rocket league is a really good game and FFXV is coming out😍
    Although PC/laptop with Steam and other video game sites would be the best. but its costly.
    Or wait till the ps5 comes out and buy it😜
    Plis no PS haters commenting here, its unnecessary, thanks❤️
    Hope this helped😘

• Don't even consider getting an xbox1. My friend has a ps4 and an xbox1. She plays with her playstation all the time and her xbox isn't even plugged in xD

• PC its not just gaming it does everything else

• Customization of games is the advantage that PC has which is something consoles lacked.

• I would but I've since stopped playing multiplayer.

May reconsider when I have time, but it's not going to happen any time soon since I'm more caught up and busy with work and school these days. And I prefer Co-Operative Gameplay where team work and team effort actually mattered, instead of every just do their own thing including screwing their own team mates over.

By the time I have free time to play video games I end up exploring mods like new single player campaigns for older classic FPS's such as this one:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/acm-2014

I easily get lost in the jungle of mods, since there's like overwhelming too many of them.

• @JudgmentDay if you really like team plays... you should really try this free to play game on steam... it ctually requires team efforts... you might have heard of it..."ghost recon phantoms"
      but its like pay to win but it still is loads of fun...

• PC... so many games, online... easy.. downloadable games, mods all that good stuff :)

• That's what I said man. MODDB. COM for all the mods you can find currently for PC games. Not to mention emulators and roms too, but that's in the gray area. I mean who doesn't like the possibility of running arcade coin-operated games or many of the classic systems like Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis from home, all on their computer?

• A computer

• Playsation 2.

• Xbox One

• PC or Ps4

• I personally like xbox one then wii u then Ps4
    Honestly ps4 is the boggest upset in a system I've ever had and i have literally owned every main system sincesuper nintendo
    If you're not againts it go pc

• The "Get Back in the Kitchen" one. Video games are for menfolk.

• Technically a PC

Practically a PS4

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 2

• Nintendo Wii u

• I have an Xbox 360 and it sucks. Buy a PlayStation 3. Much more games and variety