Do you usually try to figure out the meaning of songs or just enjoy the music?

Do you try to understand what the singer is singing about or just enjoy the music without knowing what it's about?

• Try to figure it out
  • Just enjoy it
  • Other?

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• I like listening to songs, figuring out what the lyrics mean, and throwing my own personal interpretation on them. I figure that songs aren't necessarily meant to be interpreted only how the artist made them, but how one personally feels about them.

Like for example, the song Iris by Goo Goo Dolls was actually about a movie with an angel coming to Earth, falling in love, and leaving. However, I feel the lyrics can mean so much other than that. It can be a song about romance, depression, lost love-- you name it. If I was resolute in keeping the lyrics to the original interpretation, I'd be limiting the emotion and hence enjoyment of the song.

Instead, I'd rather try and "figure it out," but only with my own version of it. I interpret it how I want to interpret it.

• Yeah I think that's one of the reasons they don't make the lyrics so clear, so you can interpret them as you wish

• This exactly 🙌🏼

What Girls Said 8

• i always try to figure things out.

• in general in life i can't / dont get into to things without understanding first. this presents challenges.

• Both

• I enjoy the music

• I do both and enjoy the music a little more.

• I only work when I need to.

• Both

• I prefer to just enjoy it. I like songs with no lyrics mostly, so I can just relax and enjoy.

• All of the crap songs that literally have no meaning, I just listen to.
    Twenty One Pilots songs, I love finding the meaning.

What Guys Said 10

• Most of music I like has very few words... I prefer melody driven music.

• 99% of the time I just enjoy it. But when I really really like song, I listen in to it's message as well.

• Yeah I try to figure it out sometimes, because I can't help but wonder.

• Sometimes, some of the shit is just insanely different from the song.

• Enjoy.

• I just enjoy. same with movies, books and games

• Im constantly thinking and questioning things so i definitely try to figure out the meanings. Or at least what it can mean to me

• Some songs have no meaning, so I just enjoy them.

• I'm just enjoying the song.

• enjoy