Why doesn't MTV or VH1 play 1980s or 1990s Music Videos anymore or any Music Videos?

The closest thing they do is the Show Beavis and Butthead because in their show they play Music Videos

@SlightlyCrazy @MrAtticusLebowski

Most Helpful Girl

• VH1 Classic has a morning block of 80's videos called I think morning block or something like that and also in the mornings 90's rocked. Both come on in the morn but MTV shows mainly Teen Mom type programs now. Oh I miss MTV!!

What Girls Said 5

• Vh1 classic plays music videos just not all the time. As for MTV what a damn joke. The M in MTV should be changed to Mediocre. It sure is hell doesn't stand for music anymore just bad reality shows. I think you would have to call up MTV and VH1 and ask them why. See if they can give a legit answer.

• True the closest you see now is Beavis and Butthead watching MTV Music Videos

• cause that isn't bringing enough ratings reality shows are and in order to keep the channel running they play shows that are popular haven't you notice that all their music shows got cancelled.

• I can't wait until a lot of those shows stop getting the ratings and they show good music again hopefully

• most channels don't play old shows. shame.

• Because it isn't the 80s or 90s anymore and since these are old shows, the ratings would have gone down and it would be expensive to air.

• Obviously that you don't like 80s or 90s music

• The 90s
      I wish I was born in that era. Instead, I was born a month after the 90s ended.

• I'm sorry ): I love the 90s because of Nirvana and Red Hot Chili Peppers and some Mariah Carey

• I forgot MTV even showed music videos.

What Guys Said 14

• Potentially big news for you, bro. Holding my expectations down until I see what it is, but if it's what I think it will be, it's going to be AWESOME. And you too will be able to experience MTV as it existed in its glory days👍
    https://youtu.be/MNzS1Hk-sLs

• I don't know VH1 really, but if it's like MTV I can explain it.
    I believe this video can help explain things:
    http://youtu.be/9ysyZF-DZFY

Essentially... There's no money in it.
    Stealing music from online contributed to this and also the rise of social media. Nowadays, artists can create followings on twitter/facebook for free as well. Mainly it was illegally downloading music that screwed things over.

And why does MTV now play horrible reality TV shows?
    Lemme quote the video at 3:12.
    "And to answer your question about why we air only horrible reality shows about vapid people... because you watch that s*** and feel superior."

In a less offensive way...
    Basically, it comes down to ratings. Many people watch it, so therefore they keep playing it. There wasn't cash to be made in music videos.

• I just found out theirs another channel that does VH1 Classic that plays Music Videos

• because they make more money with programming than music videos.

• Yeah someone really needs to write them a letter about that, they lost me and everyone else in my generation and then some when they stopped it

• I wonder the same thing...80's and 90's music videos are still the best.

• Some of my favorites of the 80s are Men At Work and REO SpeedWagon and some of my favorite 90s musicians are Nirvana and Red Hot Chili Peppers how about you?

• No, they are a duo.

• Kind of a confused

• hmm your right they should.1980's and 1990's songs are awesome and very good

• They do early in the morning when no one is awake

• they stepped away from what they were. I miss MTV Beach House..

• Why don't you watch vh1 classic

• Well thise songs are old and outdated sooo they woukdnt play thek 😜 MTV was known as showing the hip and new music. Are you talking just regular Music Videos? There is no market. They are gonna serve what people want.

• Vevo and youtube.

• I guess your right people rather watch it that way guess it's easier (in a way) but MTV and VH1 is an awesome way to watch it to

• Besause the get better ratings with their original programming. Better ratings equals higher advertising revenue.

• 0|1
    • Did you know that song they were singing was a Direct Straits song?

• I did not sir.

• That's where they got if from you should listen to Dire Straits song Money For Nothing (:

• because theyre old