What is more important to you in video games, gameplay or story?

What is more important to you, what keeps you interested?

Do you like so called "walking simulators", where you do not much more than walking around experiencing some story? Or do you stay interested doing some stuff is there is no story at all giving any meaning to your actions?

I know it depends a bit on the genre you are playing... a racing game is something different than a RPG. But generally speaking... what do you enjoy more?

• Story
  • Gameplay
  • Both equally
bump

Most Helpful Girl

• Both for me are equally important but is the game play is bad then a good story can't fix that too much.

Most Helpful Guy

• You can't really break games down into those two categories.

My favorite video game of all time is Silent Hill 2, and depending on what you call "gameplay" it can be thought of as extremely bad or extremely good. Combat wise, it's quite bad. The controls and camera are very out dated, most enemies are quite easy, and there is very little room for skill involved with the game. However the game incorporates an element that no other game has really come close to mastering like Silent Hill as done, and that's the element of true psychological horror. It makes the player feel anxious, uncomfortable, paranoid, and hopeless. The setting and mood of Silent Hill is what makes the game so fantastic. It's also a unique game that not everyone will enjoy.

What Girls Said 7

• #2 - UGH!

• You happened to ask while my supervisor was at my desk. -.- AKA: When I can't be on GaG.

I enjoy gameplay more.

• excuses!

you play video games? :P

• Come say that to my face ;)

& I don't have any myself, where would I find the time?

- However, I do play them with friends when we hang out. Anything from NFL to Supersmash. XD

• If the story is bad and the graphics are good it's not fun. If the story is amazing but the graphics are meh, it could be okay but it's mostly likely not fun once more. A perfect balance of both in my opinion would be Witcher 3 for Xbox one. But it's my opinion he's I love that game

• Story I guess... it's a bit more important.

• I don't consider myself a gamer.
    I am a translator and an editor, so for me the storyline is the reason I buy a game.
    I'm still in love with Skyrim. It feels like it has been adapted from an actual novel, not from a script written specifically for the game.

• really? the elder scrolls games have always been considered weak regarding their story/storytelling

• Maybe it's just a personal preference?) Dunno.

• Really depends on what I'm playing

• Gameplay!

• Sometimes story
    Its amazing

What Guys Said 11

• I don't know where my answer belongs but I will say that atmosphere matters most. If I am immersed in the world - gameplay OR story matters less, if I actually feel like a part of it.

• I would say both equally but if the game is about simulation, I don't really care about the story. I'm more concerned about the gameplay, mechanics, physics and graphics of the game.

• A game doesn't need a story if it has the right mechanics and ambience... But if it's your typical AAA game where 90% of the focus is on top end graphics then the story is everything... I prefer repayable games that make me think strategic and solve puzzles...

• I wouldn't want to play a game with no story but amazing gameplay (excluding 8-bit/arcade), or a game with an amazing story but shit gameplay. If I wanted a good story I would just read a book :p

• A good story can make up for lacklustre gameplay (ex: final fantasy 4). Good gameplay can make up for a weak storyline (ex: ffta2, skyrim, blinx).

It's close but I'd go with gameplay, because no story can make up for terrible gameplay.

• I only play online based sports games, so gameplay is everything

• both, you could have the best story ever but if it is no fun to play then it sucks. and vice versa

• if there was a game you could do anything that would be dope

• Both, has to have a damn good story and has to be fun playing with a good replayability

• If u don't have good gameplay then u can't really enjoy the story

• thats too hard to pick. but only shit games have one over the other. the last of us had both.