Just read the book "1984" by George Orwell and now I feel depressed, why?

So i just finished the book 1984 and i literally feel like i can cry.. what the hell is wrong with me?

Most Helpful Girl

• dude it's okay. The book is intense as fuck.

Most Helpful Guy

• Because you realize that's where we're headed.

• We're already there in many ways.

• @TheWaterBear exactly what was going through my head when i was reading this

• @TheWaterBear
      Support the eff support encryprion. Run a tor node on your computer

What Girls Said 5

• Because it's a really depressing and confusing book. By the end, I was questioning everything in my life.

• same here!! everything feels so different after i read that book

• I haven't read it, "big brother is watching" 😨

• lol.. you should read it.. i highly recommend it!!

• alright, I'll take your suggestion 😊

• enjoy!

• go read something light and funny

• that would make sense but i am already onto the "battle cry of freedom".

lol it seems like i can never read something funny

• lol : D

• It probably means you still have a good soul, intelligence and notice things around you.

• why? because he predicted the future?

• not sure.. thats probably it.. i have never gotten this invested in a book before.. this one consumed me

What Guys Said 19

• Because it seems to be the fate of our modern world due to political correctness and rampant social liberalism. Even Harvard students do not believe that the 1st Amendment is important and want to compromise it in order to accommodate political correctness. Just visit any college campus in any liberal leaning city in America and you will discover that 1984 is our inevitable future. The 1st Amendment is literally the ONLY safeguard keeping the Left from openly prosecuting people for expressing a dissenting opinion. They are already doing it via the private sector and indirectly. Soon enough they will find a way to legislate the 1st Amendment out of existence like they are the 2nd Amendment, and then we will all be imprisoned for "hate speech" or whatever they will call it.

• Because your brain picked up on how the book correlates with our present time. I quit reading the book not long after the part about the 2 minutes of hate due to how closely it relates to the way the media presents trump to the public, and the behavior of young people at just the mere mention of him, They behave just like they do in the book. needless to say I haven't touched it in 6 months but would like to finish it one day, but it's to realistic for being a fiction book.

• i hear you man.. you should finish it though, im telling you

• I know, I want to to be honest.

• go for it.. its short enough where you can finish it in a sitting or 2

• ... That book is really intense like really intense lol so can't say I blame you.

• Well I'm probably in the minority, but it's probably because the book sucked and it was depressing.
    Go do something fun and forget about it...

• Brave New World is a more accurate portrayal of modern Western society in my opinion.

• ill check it out. thanks

• Because you realize both that the book describes a horrible societal living condition and that TPTB have been using it as a blueprint for the last 50 years.

• TPTB?

• got ya.. sorry for that "durrrr" moment.. lol

• Fight against the tpp legislation.

• Its an amazing book and your probably depressed because a lot of that shit is true that he predicted. Not necessarily the exact same things but very similar.

• i agree.. especially the perpetual war.. if you look at the history of the US, weve been at war since day 1

• That and just big brother itself. The existence of anything you do can be caught on camera especially in larger cities. And now with the whole NSA stuff that's been going on the last few years.

• exactly.. its really a shame... but what can we do about it though? nothing.. were just the helpless, powerless "proles".

• You might be depressed because you are in high school. Then again, if not, it is an incredibly dark depressing tale of Wilson the volleyball

• Because it is very true of what is now

Sadly, the world now is very 'Orwellian'

All the kids taking selfie after selfie with their dinky phones without ever realising ' Big Brother is watching you...'

• Hope big brother enjoys my cute selfies 😁

• Just as prophetic :)

• thanks for the suggestions!

• George Orwell was known for such kind of work.
    His work is hard hitting but leaves the readers feeling guilty and depressed.
    Animal farm?

• yes. i want to read that next.. is it similar to 1984?

• thanks for the suggestion

• @asker Animal Farm is an allegory of the Bolshevik Revolution and the rise of Stalin.

• I don't know what to tell you brah.

• Hey Jeb Bush here. If you feel depressed think about how I feel when literally nothing in my life is working out.

• hey, at least your family has done well with oil. you'll be living comfortably for the remainder of your life no matter who is elected

• Thanks for your help anon. You're a great guy. You can be my vp anyday!

• you got it brother... this is blue anon, and i approve this message!

• What is it about?

• it is about a totalitarian government (Big Brother) who controls everything its people says, does or thinks with the use of telescreens..

perpetual war with 2 outside nations is used throughout the entire book as a means of keeping intact the social structure that allows big brother to be so powerful...

the author, George Orwell, wrote it as kind of a way to foreshadow what he thinks the world will turn into, and after reading the book and comparing it to our lives, its dead on

• im sure it will, it sounds interesting. thanks for sharing man

• no problem.. take care

• Maybe because it's all been coming true

• It is an intense book, and so much of it is relatable in all honesty. The government looks at your emails, we're in a seemingly never ending war on terror, and I've even seen Newspeak get compared to PC culture. Not the fact you shouldn't say the N word, but the fact that so many people in that culture don't want to hear differing opinions (generally anything conservative/libertarian in anyway). There's other aspects of the book that are comparable, but those are the big ones.

• Probably because it was meant to be a warning, not an instruction manual.

• faggot? lol

• yeah, i guess that explains it -__-

• Trump will make 1984 a reality. Those caught by trump's ministry of twitter insulting our god emperor will meet the same fate as winston.

• You just got struck deep in there.