What Song Introduced You To Your Favorite Music Genre?

Up until 1991 I was listening to whatever my Parents listened to, like most kids. Then this Video showed up on MTV:

To an 11yr old at the time this literally ROCKED my World! Soon I was listening to Everything in Metal my Parents would let me bring home and what they wouldn't at a friend's house.

So What Song Got You Hooked On Your Favorite Music Genre?

Most Helpful Girl

• Ah, I love some Metallica.

I was like you, I listened to whatever my parents did and I actually liked it. They liked Eurythmics, Duran Duran, Queen, Tears for Fears, Fleetwood Mac, etc.

They never listened to Depeche Mode, and this song was my favorite for so long. I still listen to it from time to time

I can't post links yet, but it's "Enjoy the Silence".

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 13

• My dad used to listen to Marilyn Manson as I was growing up. I remember BBQ-ing with him in the yard, listening to the radio with Manson's music playing. "Beautiful People" was the song I liked.

It made me oddly happy, like content to listen to that type music. I've became a great fan of the heavy rock / metal genre over the years. I've grown to discover a lot of great bands after hearing their songs on the radio and hearing my dads CDs too.

• Hmmm, I think it was either Through The Fire and Flames by Dragonforce or Who's Your Daddy? by Lordi.

• I've always listened to metal but I started liking nu metal by listening to Sepultura's Dead Embryonic Cells awesome song. And can't not mention PanfuckingTera! Heresy is another badass song. Death metal I started listen in to Cannible Corpse then my taste for thrash/death metal grew!

• All genres of music when I grew up in the early 90's. My dad is a Dj and record producer, so he plays a lot of old time records and songs from the 50's throughout the 80's. But he loves deep house and house music. And I just produce and compose my own. I used to listen to a lot of Hip Hop and R&B music before JPOP/Anime music and soundtracks, Classical music, soundtrack music, Game music, and then after a while Russian techno/trance. I also listened to 80's and 90's gospel music and praise and worship music as well. So music in general influenced me, and is a major part of my life. I probably made over 150 by now! ^^

• I've loved rock n roll as long as I can remember. My dad loved 50s & 60s music, so a few awesome songs that stick out are "Johnny B. Goode", by Chuck Berry, Let's Have a Party" by Wanda Jackson , & "Tallahassee Lassie" by Freddy Cannon.

His faves probably explain why I'm so in love with the new southern rock sound, or whatever it's called. Kings of Leon, The Black Keys, J Roddy Walston & The Business, Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats, etc.

• "Inspection Check One" by "Leftfield". I used to love hard rock and metal but one day I was at a friends where we were chilling out and he put their album "Leftism" on and I can say with honesty that my taste in music changed completely at that moment.

• Probably this.
    https://youtu.be/_GOR5gvQwDI
    Up until I was 13 all I listened to was Taylor Swift, I shit you not lmao. Then I somehow stumbled upon this song and the 13 year old me was like "Omg, this is SO much better than Taylor Swift 😱". Simple Plan was the first band I fell in love with, 2 months ago I saw them live for the first time.

• The older men I date influence most of my music choices tbh, that's why
    today I totally luuurve The Doors.

• Evanescence :)

• Johnny be good by Chuck Berry, and Just a friend by Jamie Grace.

• Pop-punk- Centuries, by Fall Out Boy

Punk- Bro Hymn, Pennywise

Metalcore- Second and Sebring, Of Mice and Men

Deathcore- You Only Live Once, Suicide Silence

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Guys Said 16

• It was Whole Lot of Love by Led Zeppelin. I was in 1st grade and we had a teen cousin living with us. I was walking by his room and he called me in and said "listen to this." It's was Plant wailing ". . . way down inside. . . " that did it. Led Zeppelin II has always been in my library. I've had it on vinyl, 8 track, cassette and now cd. I'll bet I've bought it 15 times over the years. It would get lost, broken, stolen etc. It still gets played to this very day

• Not sure if I have a favourite genre at the moment.

Dominican Bachata

Vocales de Amor

www.youtube.com/watch

Grime

Wiley wot you call it

www.youtube.com/watch

House

Gadjo So Many Times

www.youtube.com/watch

Jpop

Amuro Namie Put em up

www.youtube.com/watch

The Brilliant Green Forever to Me

www.youtube.com/watch

• I would say that I got hooked on the red hot chili peppers in 1999. Was about to go into grade 8 or something, but I was walking by the TV, someone had a music station on and they were playing red hot chili peppers Woodstock '99 set. As I walked by I heard the triple smash of the drums and he guitar riff of 'Give It Away'', it was so powerful I still love it. But I don't think anything compares to that one time because it was so new to me and unexpected. Funny how hat song was released in 1991 and I had no idea about the and until 1999. Everybody else seemed to know because of their sisters and brothers or other friends at school. I like a lot of music and play gyitar, bass and write my own songs and try to record them... poorly, but that music is definitely still influencing the way I play, and I know it's real music, you can feel real music, and it doesn't ever die.

I like metallica too, I used to try to play their songs on guitar but it's too much for me lol

• Perturbator's Raw Power introduced me to the wonderful world of SynthWave.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFi338RFfNw

• Don't Stop Believin' inspired me to start my AOR collection. I'm now at over 250 songs and still going

• I thought Brian May's Air Guitar compilations got me into Metal (then cemented by my dad's foster son leaving his Iron Maiden's Rock in Rio behind once) but it turns out listening to my parents' 60s-80s Rock/Pop from an early age did it, particularly Queen. That and Robot Wars, Power Rangers and boss battles on 8-bit and 16-bit gaming consoles. It's amazing what we subconsciously pick up.

• For my current one, I'd say it was DJ Sammy's "Heaven" from 2002. That's my go to genre which is EDM / House.

• I can't remember the song but listening to kid rock and uncle kracker opened the doors to country music, before country music I always listened to rock and metal and still do from time to time

• Genre is post-rock, song is probably Hoppípolla by Sigur Rós. Like most of their later work it isn't even very post-rock-esque, but it got me into their back catalogue and I was hooked pretty much immediately.

• All the different Tony Hawk games which had awesome soundtracks.

... and this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SOnsCZvFbk

• I dont know what song it was but the genre was metal too.

• I hated Hip Hop until I heard "Life's a Bitch " by Nas in 1994 after that I was hooked on the lyricist type of rap granted the only place to find that now is in the underground with the exception of Slaughter House.

• Nelly - Country Grammar

• "Who Let the Dogs Out"

• Very difficult question for me to answer because i listen passionalty to at leasy 3-4 genres,

However 2 songs that i remeber got me going into music when I was middle chiol ahe were

"Bachelor Boy" by Cliff Richard
    "I'm a believer" by Neil Diamond.

• I got hooked through a ton of different some songs are old as a 100 years will other stuff won't be invented for a least 50 years from now.