Ideally, if you are (or will be) living on your own, which option do you do (or would do) for TV/movie entertainment in your place?

With all of the various competitors to cable TV for access to television shows and movies in one's home, this really does become a discussion topic to have with oneself (or with your family/roommates).

Whether you live in your own place now, or don't live in your own place at the moment, what decision did/would u make, in terms of TV and movie entertainment in your home based on the poll options?

Why did/would you make that poll choice out of all of the other options available?

Be as detailed and open as you wish in your answer!

• cable TV (large channel package), Netflix & Hulu
  • cable TV (smaller or basic channel package), Netflix, Hulu
  • both Netflix and Hulu, no cable TV at all
  • Either Netflix or Hulu (not both), no cable TV at all
  • just cable TV (large channel package), no Netflix or Hulu
  • just cable TV (smaller or basic channel package), no Netflix or Hulu
  • NONE OF THE ABOVE IN MY PLACE!
3mo by the way satellite TV is the same as cable, in regards to the poll 👍

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, this is how I do it, and I find it works quite well with me! :)

I gave up cable years ago, and have no regrets. I am living with my parents right now, but I lived on my own for 6 years before this. I have only had netflix for the past 4 years, no cable. There is no point to having cable unless you watch stuff on cable. I found it just wasn't worth it to have it. A decent cable package in Canada costs at least $50 bucks! YES that is correct! I found it had a lot of the same channels and some stuff I would never watch. I always had to watch my shows on cable's schedule.

So I said, screw that, and just beefed up my internet ($30 bucks a month), and got netflix. I also now have Shomi, Crave Tv and a Tidal account for listening to music. I absolutely love my set up! Shomi, Crave TV and Tidal are all about $10 bucks a month each. My parents pay for netflix, which is another $10/month.

I have an older flat screen tv, that is not a smart tv. So I bought a $45 Google Chrome to stream shows from my cell or tablet. It works with Netflix, Shomi, Crave TV and Youtube, among other stuff that I haven't tried yet.

I feel while more expensive than cable, I am getting more for what I pay for. On cable, I would have to struggle to find stuff to watch. Now I have many things I can watch and I am even finding stuff I really love that I would never have watched before. I feel I am getting more enjoyment out of it for the money I spend.

In the United States, most cable providers have a built-in service call OnDemand, where u can watch shows from various channels, on your own terms.

That's pretty cool! I guess it really depends on how much you are willing to spend and ease of use!

We don't have stuff like that where I live currently (I'm in a rural area). Though we do have some on demand services.

Most Helpful Guy

• A combination of an OTA antenna (for hi-def digital local channels, including all of the broadcast networks) and Netflix/Amazon/YouTube, Blu-Rays, and other sources.

As I don't really care about live sports (the main reason to have "cable"), I can get all the content I am interested this way. I have a NAS that records live TV from the antenna plus holds disc images and other video files (and my music collection) to augment the streaming services. I can access all of that from any TV in the house with the help of some ODROID-based micro media streamers (tiny credit-card sized computers similar but more powerful than a Raspberry Pi).

What Girls Said 11

• Believe it or not Anthony, I don't have a TV in my place. I was never a huge tv fan and when I moved to my own place I decided I wouldn't get one. If there's a movie or a particular show I wanna see I just download it and watch it on my computer otherwise I have my books and my e-reader to entertain me. And I don't stay at home that much anyway. Is this weird?

To be honest, this would be atypical in America. You're such a Euro. :-P

People having cable TV, until recently with Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu... has ALWAYS been the norm!

Nothing wrong with reading more and spending time outside, if television and movies don't entice u much. 😗

• Currently, basic cable+internet, HBO, hulu, netflix and amazon prime.

I have to have good internet for work but unfortunately it is tied into basic cable. I would be happy if I could just have good internet, netflix, hulu and amazon prime.

There is not a lot on HBO and with my other subscriptions, eventually the TV shows I like will show up... with time (mostly).

So I wish I could separate good internet service from basic cable but it does not seem available at this point in time.

• Computer, and also I Watch Investigation Discovery Channel, @Prof_Don, because I love True Story Crimes and Forensics.
    Good luck and Great question. xx

What did u vote on the poll, Missy?

I Believe Being I didn't see "Computer,' hun, I went with "G". However, "Cable" is on my List. xx

• I had cable for about three months before I got tired of paying the insane prices. I went back to Netflix and Hulu and I'm just fine with that.

• I have no use for TV or movies like that. If I want to watch something I just use my computer and the internet I'm paying for.

U practice the Dark Arts known as tor-renting? 😀

Most of the time I don't download them and just find websites that show them on there.

• Depends on what I'm earning. Cable tv in the Uk isn't as expensive as it is in America so probably just cable and possibly Netflix though I don't know if it's worth paying for by myself. I'd probably just buy a now tv box.

• None honestly
    I can't get myself to watch tv that much.

Just recently I started to watch Criminal minds but that too I can't keep myself consistent with it.

• just cable TV (large channel package), no Netflix or Hulu like my parent have it's good like tihs

You don't mind having a cable provider bill that can be almost $200 a month? Netflix and Hulu per month is less than $30!

In my country it's not the same a cable tv is around 20 euros and netflix is around 60 - 70 euros. we doesn't have Hulu in my country.

• i just have a tv

• Cable with the package that has my fav channels. I'm ok without Netflix/Hulu

• None of the above, I prefer satellite dish ;)

What Guys Said 11

• 0|1

I am a Grand Master of the Dark Arts! You don't seed back, u asshole? :-P

lol yes, I am guilty of being such a scumbag

• Maybe Netflix.

I'd miss Shark Tank, the Profit, market news, and Los Angeles sports. Life goes on, those shows aren't worth the bill.

• No TV. Just internet. Fastest pipe and largest quota available.

• I use a TV with the digital antenna I got off Amazon. I get over 40 English channels that aren't shopping.
    I also buy seasons on DVD when they come out. They are only $30 per season, so if I like 3 series that were only on cable, that $90 still adds up to far less than cable. Plus I own it and can see it whenever I want without commercials.

• I don't watch to much TV. I do leave it on 24/7. Keeps the dogs from freaking out if there's noise outside.

• just place a computer next to my tv and watch youtube.

• all useless. free options are superior.

• Pretty much none of the above. You can find anything you want to watch for free online :)

Are u a Master in the Dark Arts known as tor-rents?

I was a private Demonoid member, as well as on the now defunct site Torrent-Damage

you still are as demonoid rebooted. Pretty much anything I want to watch is on it or nyaa :)

• ALL!!!

Yeah streaming service I guess to maximize the choice.

Can u help me out on a question bro? www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q2078940-do-women-categorise-men-are-they-only-truly-dirty-in-the-bedroom

• I only buy Netflix when daredevil season drops as of now. I hated Hulu when I tried it. I have cable which all I care about there is amc history and local channels for football season starting. As for movies, I mostly have physical media just in case the cable/internet is out

Never used Hulu! Is it really that bad for you? Most people seem to like it.

It's been a long time since I used it but I really hated it's whole setup. I'd assume it's better now but I just never went back to it

• NONE OF THE ABOVE IN MY PLACE!